Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am vary interested in adopting a pigeon,i love them so much. Becuse of my situation i would only have a few indoor birds and not able to let them fly...so maybe a handicapped bird that cannot fly??
I will not be doing this until i am educated fully but i wondering what are the basic needs as for food?? do their shot cost a lot?and what other kind of basic vet care do they need?
Do you think its right to get a handicapped bird as a indoor pet? im learning a lot from this site but cant find much more on line for some reason.Ok so i asked a lot of question....sorry.Input on any of those would be great:)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi Kailey, and a big welcome! I'm sorry no one has responded yet. It has been a busy day it seems for members. We are always thrilled to hear that someone new wants to start keeping pigeons. Just keep on reading up on them, try to read many of the stories and posts on here about various pigeons.

I am vary interested in adopting a pigeon,i love them so much. Becuse of my situation i would only have a few indoor birds and not able to let them fly...so maybe a handicapped bird that cannot fly??

That would be great. There are a lot of handicapped birds that are partially blind, or cannot fly, or have bad legs, etc. An indoor home would be ideal and welcome for them. I have some of these myself and wish I could have them all indoors, so it's nice you are able to do this.

I will not be doing this until i am educated fully but i wondering what are the basic needs as for food??

You can usually find a good pigeon mix of seed at your local feed store if you have one nearby. Or, a mix of dove seed and added mix (such as safflower and dried peas) are good. You will also need red grit to offer each day for digestion.

do their shot cost a lot?and what other kind of basic vet care do they need? You can order their vaccines online or take them to the vet to get them. It is probably cheaper to take them to a vet. But, if they are indoor birds, some people don't vaccinate as they don't come in contact with other birds that are ill.

Do you think its right to get a handicapped bird as a indoor pet?
ABSOLUTELY!! There are many that are unwanted by their original owners if they are disabled or injured, and many end up at shelters this way too. It is absolutely entirely appropriate to keep a handicapped bird indoors as long as they have plenty of time out of the cage (old sheets will protect the carpet) and time to spend with you if they are tame. They are fairly easy to tame, and I've found especially the disabled ones seem to learn quickly that you are trying to help them. A nice large cage, or dog kennel cage, or similar is perfect. There are various things you can add depending on what kind of handicaps your birds may have.

im learning a lot from this site but cant find much more on line for some reason.Ok so i asked a lot of question....sorry.Input on any of those would be great:)

Please feel free to ask any questions you think of. Do you have some birds in mind that are available for adoption? Please be sure to check shelters first. If not, and you have a hard time finding some when you are ready, we can discuss shipping. We have an abundance of (mostly white king) pigeons here in San Francisco, and there may be some disabled ones available when you're ready. I personally will always have some disabled ones up for adoption to a loving, caring home, and in particular there are a few sweeties I would love to see living indoors again. So please keep us updated, ask all the questions, and let us know how we can help!:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much!!!! you answered all of my question:).
I do not have a particular bird in mind but i do know id love one that is handicapped ,i already have a few extra large dog kennels/crates and some other large cages that would fit perfectly.i like kings and modena pigeons alot but would love any pidgy i can adopt.i will for sure look threw shelters first but if no luck there i will be coming to the board to find a lovely that would like to live indoors.thanks again,i will keep reading up until i feel comfortable enough to take one in:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Theres a member of pigeon talk named elizebethy; she has many kings for adoption from a shelter. You should send her a message.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

I'd just like to say THANK you for considering adopting a pigeon.

MJ has given you many options which are all FANTASTIC choices IMO!;)

Should checking the local shelters not pan out for you, please come back to the thread and post back to us.

**I know MJ would be willing to send you photo's of her adoptable pijies along with their stories.;)**

You can check out Elizabeth's site here: www.rescuereport.org
She has many Kings available all listed on her site, along with some who might not be listed yet. She can be reached through the rescue report if you choose.

Either way, BOTH of these are fantastic options!:D

The very BEST of LUCK in finding your new feathered family member!:D

ps: Do you have photos of where they would be living... It's always nice to see pictures!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is this the kind of dog kennel cage you ment?......i have sevaral of these but if its not ideal ill have to go buy a new one for the bird.mine is about 2 feet by 1 and a half foot

·
Registered
813 Posts
YEP! Thats the kind.... They work great.:D

I think YOur gonna make a GREAT Pijie Owner! Have you gotten in touch with MJ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im so glad that cage will work

no i haven yet.....i still need to figure out if the landlord is gunna charge us to have birds,i hope not,if he is going to we have to wait till our lease is up,then we are buying a place(only 3 months away but then it will be to cold to ship them).im going to try to contact him on the matter tonight,ill update ya.id love to get them asap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts