Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

OK. Today when I went to feed the birds, I found an egg under the male voorburg shield cropper! :eek: :D

OK I have raised about 30 birds, but none of them were mine, they were all from a breeder. It is the dead of winter here in Canada, and I am really scared it is going to freeze! :eek: I want to save it( and the one to come). Is there anything I can do? I have provided no extra light or heat, so why are they breeding? Please help me!!!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You could replace the egg with a wooden one and the egg that follows this one. That was you would have no worries about the egg or babies that hatch, freezing.
One of our members, lives in Michigan and did have 2 babies freeze solid during one cold winter night. It was a terrible thing to find.

·
Registered
857 Posts
There is always a risk of losing young pigeons during inclement weather, both during periods of exteme cold and heat.
Most people that race homing pigeons during the young bird season, in North America, breed there pairs during the coldest part of the year, so that the young birds are as old as possible, to give them a competitive edge at the start of the season. To be competitive they take the risk.
I have had very young birds in the nest when it dropped down to -6F or colder for 5 days in a row. Their parents seemed to cover them poorly and I worried about them, but they all survived.
I have successfuly raised lots of pigeons during the Winter. I do lose some as well.
I also occasionally lose 1 or 2 during perfect weather for no apparent reason.
There is always a risk of losing young birds when breeding, when flying and when even just opening the door to your loft.
Keith

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
homing pigeons are usually good parents,but these arent homers they are croppers,which arent AS defoted to there young.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well then, I'd say that was your answer. If they aren't all that good at parenting, then why do you want to let them breed now? Replace the eggs and let them breed closer to spring time. Racers breed during the cold weather for a reason, you can wait. Why take a chance?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.when i went out to do the feeding it was frozen,so i will let them sit on it if they want to. the embroy is probably dead aNYWAY

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'd take them out and replace with fake after they lay the 2nd one. They may start sitting on them then. Why hatch a baby now?

G

·

hi i m sorry to interupt. i m a new member and i m totally lost i donno how to post a thread can some one pls help me? and also want to know where to buy tippler igeons in ca. thank you

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the male just died out of no were so now the female is alone on empty eggs.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A bird doesn't just die for no reason. Had he been acting normally? Are any of your other birds acting sick? Sorry about the male.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A bird doesn't just die for no reason. Had he been acting normally? Are any of your other birds acting sick? Sorry about the male.

he was acting fine the night before he died. in the morning went to give them some feed. and he was breathing really hard. rushed back inside to get water for the female and he, and a towel for the male. and when i went back outside he had passed away. i was too late. i only have the hen now. no other birds. the eggs are fertilized and a developing quit normaly. its soo cute you can see the little heart beating. i will had feed theses little guys, but i have a question. can a mother alone produce enough crop milk for two chicks for a couple of days. i would start feeding them at day trhree or four but can she do the first couple days all by herself. if not, can anyone give me the recipe for mac milk ( Crop milk)

thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am in ingersoll ont not far from you if you ever have questions i will answer them as best as possable :p
thanks mookeman, but i dont think you should have said that because i have a lot odf questions all the time so your inbox will be pretty full by the time im done asking all ythe qestions there are to know about these wonderfull birds.LOL:)

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
thanks mookeman, but i dont think you should have said that because i have a lot odf questions all the time so your inbox will be pretty full by the time im done asking all ythe qestions there are to know about these wonderfull birds.LOL:)

Thanks
Kevin
ROFL! Good reply, Kevin, and I'm SURE it was sincere! :) BTW, the Mac Milk recipe is in the Resources Forum. If you only need to hand/tube feed once in awhile, then just get some Kaytee Exact.

Terry

·
Registered
379 Posts
you may need to put pigeon feed up by the bird and also the male is the one that takes car of the babies so its not unusual .

·
Registered
379 Posts
pleas if your going to hatch them get an incubator

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to feed a newly hatched baby pigeon? The mother may not even sit on them until they hatch. Without her mate, she would have to sit on them 24/7, and she could tire of that and give up. You trying to hand feed two babies would be very difficult. How will you take care of them and feed them every couple of hours when you are in school? They also have to be kept warm. Think raising them is a bit over your head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts