Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is the first time I write on a forum so please forgive me If I make a mistake with the post title etc. My husband and I found a you pigeon in the floor wet and scared. He was about 18-19 days old... It's been three days and I have been trying to feed it according to all the things I read on the internet. I found it very difficult to force feed him so I put millet in front of him and he ate a bit. I know this is not enough and he has only drank a few sips of water. Yesterday I bought a syringe at the pet store and I blended millet, sunflower seeds, peas and water to feed him. After watching a couple of videos of people feeding baby birds I gave it a try. I find it a bit violent to hold the pigeon's mouth open and inserting the syringe as deep as possible to get the food in properly :( . A friend told me that if I don't do it right I could get food in his lungs and the lady at the pet store said it is not possible to set him free in the future as the bird will be too used to human contact. Is it truly that hopeless? I am very scared for the little guy, I don't want to choke or suffocate the poor fellow. And I want to give him a good life. Please help!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If the baby is drinking on its own, it will soon be eating on its own. Provide a good pigeon seed mix and allow him to try and eat that. Generate an interest in seed. Place in a small tip proof bowl in its cage with seed, also sprinkle it around it. Move seeds around with your finger to generate an interest.

Make sure youngster is always warm when it is eating, and that crop is empty.

Meanwhile, you can hand feed frozen peas (thawed, drained and warmed) to supplement until the youngster gets used to eating seeds. This will save you the worry of the baby aspirating and it is easy and less stressful on you and baby. Just make sure baby is warm has empty crop before feeding. Peas are only temporary diet until he eats the seed like a champ.

If you can supplement with calcium/D3 syrup that will help baby.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He eats but barely enough.** Should I keep feeding him with the syringe? If so. How many oz or ml?
If the baby is drinking on its own, it will soon be eating on its own. Provide a good pigeon seed mix and allow him to try and eat that. Generate an interest in seed. Place in a small tip proof bowl in its cage with seed, also sprinkle it around it. Move seeds around with your finger to generate an interest.

Make sure youngster is always warm when it is eating, and that crop is empty.

Meanwhile,** you can hand feed frozen peas (thawed, drained and warmed) to supplement until the youngster gets used to eating seeds. This will save you the worry of the baby aspirating and it is easy and less stressful on you and baby. Just make sure baby is warm has empty crop before feeding. Peas are only temporary diet until he eats the seed like a champ.

If you can supplement with calcium/D3 syrup that will help baby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts