Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
One mile is kinda close to home for only one bird to return IMHO.
But I am nowhere near an expert at racing pigeons lol.
How many birds did you toss?
Hope the rest of your birds return quickly and safely.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
May I ask what the big hurry is to get them on the road?
You posted on 22 May (12 days ago) that you had JUST let the birds out of the loft for the first time.
Yesterday was WAY WAY too soon to be putting them in a crate and taking them ANYWHERE besides your yard, and IMO, it's too soon to do even THAT.
I think you need to do some reading and research on a better way to do things, or you'll keep loosing birds and it's really not fair to the birds. There is a ton of info just on this site alone, not to mention on the WWW and again, IMO, there's really no excuse for this to have happened if you had read and prepared.
I doubt you could find a hand full of fanciers that would recommend taking pigeons that have only been flying around the loft for 12 days down the road any distance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I released three birds and they have all returned. I have never had pigeons before I don't know the time frame on how old the birds have to be before you take them on the road. The person I got the birds from said it was ok to start taking them away from the loft.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I released three birds and they have all returned. I have never had pigeons before I don't know the time frame on how old the birds have to be before you take them on the road. The person I got the birds from said it was ok to start taking them away from the loft.
I'm really not trying to give you a hard time. REALLY, I'm not......but when new fanciers make these mistakes, it's the birds that pay the price. WE can go get more birds............and "not knowing" is really no excuse. The info is out there if you just look for it and a simple question here on the forum would have steered you in the right direction. Don't know who you got the birds from and it doesn't matter. They told you wrong, IMO.
For the birds sake, take time to research some with the next group. And if you can't find the answer, ASK us........there's a bunch of us here that will help you.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=7449

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8046

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Congrats on a successful first toss! I agree with Renee that that might have been to early to road train your birds even if it was only a mile away. Since they've made it home I think your okay to continue to toss them!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm not trying to give you a hard time either.
I will tell you what was told to me when I asked how long I should wait before I road toss my birds.
Loft fly them first for awhile.
I loft flew mine for about a month.
At first they will just sit on the landing board or the roof of your loft.
One thing you never want to do with young birds is scare them off of the landing board or the roof so they can fly.
They will fly but you might not get any that come back because you just scared the crap outta them and they will fly off and some might go too far to find the way home.
They will all fly when they are ready to.
When they all up in the air together and flying around in a tight group they will start to fly further and further away from the loft each day.
One day you will notice you dont see them at all for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Once they have done that for about a week then you can try a road toss starting out about as far as you just did... one mile then work your way up.
I hope this helps a bit.
Its my first year also so I'm no expert... just passing along the info that was givien to me :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
There seems to be 2 thoughts on road training. One is road tossing after birds started ranging out. The other is to start road tossing after birds have routed. but not yet ranged. The road tossing is like forced ranging. Obviously you have to start perhaps at the front of your house and go next block, then other couple of blocks, etc. I only toss after they started ranging because I know then that they are at least fit to fly far. I now feel doing that forced ranging because I see some of my birds not ranging at all. Alnatural seems to show that is possible. I am always open to new ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.