Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i let out my 2 homers who have been in their cage for 7? months. and they first stayed around the loft then went back in. ten minutes later they both bolted out the window and around the neighborhood. they mostly pecked around on the ground. about 1 1/2 hours later the neighbor called saying something got my bird. there were feathers everywhere. there has been a fox around my neighborhood that has eaten 15 chickens, 1 duck, and now my pigeon. i looked for the other one and found it about a half hour later on the roof of a house about 5 houses down the road. i was worried it wouldn't come back but i couldn't do much about it. i waited about 1/2 hour and went back and it was still there. i felt the need to take a picture, dont know why i just did. then i turned around to look at the pic and something flew over my head and it was a big hawk... looked at the roof and the pigeon was gone. but i didnt see the bird in the hawks claws so unless it devoured it in ten seconds, he must have gotten away. so i went home hoping he would come back before it got dark, forgot to mention that this lovely pair had two 20 day old birds. they could have managed to survive along but they would be parent less. so anyway he didnt show up. today after returning from school i was out on the deck and i bent over and herd something fly over me... and look who it was.. he had returned! so he fed the babies who where very hungry. he seemed to know when i would return? but thats my storie thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Sorry to read about this. Hope the one parent can manage to feed both chicks. Might need some help from you. I had to help a couple of chicks out, even though they had two parents.

Not always pleasant to think of how the food chain works.

Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
It must have been a very stressful day for you and very sad to lose one of your birds. Now that you have one of the parents back, do keep him locked up until the babies are raised so that you don't run the risk of losing them too. I bet you were smiles all over when that boy flew in!

·
Registered
822 Posts
So THAT'S why the sun was shining so bright today in NH!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost 1, but so very glad to hear the other returned!! As was suggested, do keep him locked up until those babies are weaned.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Those darn hawks will get you everytime....sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad your other bird got away and returned to it's babies. Watch for that hawk when you decide to let the little ones fly around! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am both happy and sad for you. Happy that your bird returned, but sad about the other one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts