Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was our first race from about 120-130 miles (new station so dont know how far exactly yet) for us, 10 lofts 394 birds...which is a really good showing for our club since we only had 6 YB and Old bird flyers the last 2 seasons. We sent 32 pigeons and i got my first group of 5 just a little under 3 hrs and to my disbelief they would not land.

I sit on the side of my house about 60 ft or so from the loft, i like to let the birds land and then shake the feed can to coach them in...the birds usually land on the west side of house or loft out of my view when they come home, 2 times i got up thinking they had landed and when i looked up to shake them in they were gone, they had cirlced 2 times to land on the house and then left out of sight for about half a minute to a minute each time, then when they did finaly land it was in a tree....to there defense they did have some birds with them that were not ours which i figue kept them flying like that, last years YB's never did this even once...well anyway when i left for work about an hour ago i had 24 of 32 home.....i checked with my neighbor who races also and he only had 3 of 26 home, so by the numbers were not doing to bad, will have to wait and see how our time is....there were 2 strays that came in with my birds after noon and they were so exhausted and thirsty that instead of coming inside the loft with my bird they landed on my car and tried acted like they were trying to take a drink from my windows..i have platinum window tint on my car so in the shade it gives a reflection like water...i felt so bad for them, they then went my breeders loft and tried to drink from the gutter which was bone dry so i took my hose and lifted it up to the guttter and filled it with water for them..boy did they drink....they were still sitting on my house recovering when i left...well thats how my morning went :rolleyes: sorry so long ;)

also the website keeps logging me off everytime i make a reply or post, somedays like today its very bad, i keep having to log back on if i want to post, does it do this to anyone else? If so can it be fixed somehow? Thanks, Roy

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
The good news is you got them back ! :)

Did you ever get them clocked ?!

That first race will sometimes shake them up a bit. It can be very frustrating watching them circle or sit for what seems like hours, as the seconds go by.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL yes i got them clocked, once one came down out of the tree they all came in togather, our first hen through the trap was off our club champion hen from this last OB season...i had another group of 5 come approx 8 min after the first one which also did some excessive cirlcling but did come in. Come to find out the returns from this race so far are not so good, one loft has 10 of 40, another 20 of 83, as i stated my neighbor 3 of 26 and one 13 of 26...now there are 3 members who the rest of us have about 20 miles of overfly on, we dont usually find out how they did until the race is printed out.

I am looking forward to next week, hopefully everybodys birds learned soemthing this week wont follow each other so much.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is not uncommon for the first race. We have found it to be easier to get them trapped in with a cheeko. Get a german owl or a fantail and toss it and the other birds will see them go in and they will follow. I would not fill the gutters with water for a few reasons. You dont want the birds coming home and going there looking for water. You also dont want them drinking from a dirty gutter. I would give the birds sulmet in the water now to counter act anything they may have picked up in the gutter.
Ken

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know gutters are horrible, my closet flier had health problems all young bird season last year until he removed his gutters. Last couple of races he started getting back in the top 10% with his birds. This year he even took the gutters off his house because birds were drinking from them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree about not lettting the birds drink out of the gutters, however it was not my birds doing it, it was 2 stray race birds from the race they were in. My bird went straight into the loft once i started shaking the feed can. The 2 stray race birds were so exhausted I doubt they would of been able to leave if i didnt give them something...as i stated in my original post they were trying to drink from the windows of my car....i think part of the problem is some people in our club take better care of there birds than others and the birds were in alot worst condition than they should of been for a 120 mile race, and i dont doubt the birds were already flying for 5 hrs before they followed my bird to home and it was getting hot. When my Dad got home the 2 strays were gone already, so i am guessing the water i gave them in the gutter was enough to help them regroup and head for home.

G

·
I can only imagine how thirsty they were being as hot as it has been everywhere in the US even on a shorter race like that .. the good thing is you got most your birds back and I do hope you get the rest back as well and hope you keep us updated thru out it all ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, we ended up with 28 of 32 back, we are hitting on all cylinders this week with training/feeding etc...another race this saturday from the same station, i hope things are less confusing this week for the birds and they are all going to be headed staright for home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts