Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year old bird racing... any tips?
i got around 40 obs but then those are my breeders as well. Maybe i can breed one round then race? and 85 percent of my obs are my ybs i raced from last year. You guys think it will be to much work flying obs and trying to make them breed ybs for me this year. Any advice

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many YB do you breed a season? You can race select birds that performed in the YB season. Breed from them the following season. As you suggested breed a round and race if you can time it correctly.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
OB racing is easyer than YBs because they already know the way home . I know a few guys that breed from their OB team and do just fine. Once the birds have a nest they want to get home fast . I would not send your yearlings out too far, maybe out to 400 miles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it was up to me I would only race old birds.Less training and most of my old birds are pretty predictable.They dont fool around and once I get them on eggs I can tell which ones will be the first home.Plus I dont lose many.Young birds are just the opposite for me.Much more training and I swear they just like to drive me crazy.Very unpredictable on arrival time and 1 week they may do great and then not come home the next.But if I dont race them as young birds I will lose most their first old bird season. Jeff

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Breeding from old birds is fine, if you have a certain race you think a hen should win set her up so the eggs will be pipin, and the some with a cock bird only have him on 10 or 12 day old babies.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts