Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have reached 59 entries with possibly 3-5 more entries
for our 2nd. annual Flamingo 400 Mile Race. The New Year is going to start with a Bang.We need a new King for 2010 and we aim to give
you one with the winner of the 400 Mile Race, Jan. 9, 2010.
A participant in this race, SFL 146 ( Thank You, Warren )
had motivated us to make the 400 Mile Race Bigger and Better with
as much competition as possible. The more competition the bigger the
Kings Crown. Congatulations to all that stepped up to make this race
a Race fit for a" KING ".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most if not all will make it home. SFL 146 has quite a support group here. We will see if it helps his chances.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
One day I hope to have the birds that can handle races like that. Or at least that I'm confident can. You never know, I might have some out there right now that could, but I guess I'll never know :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont never under estimate your pigeons. If you do not fly in races you can always find someone that would fly some for you and then you would know.

·
Registered
456 Posts
for our 2nd. annual Flamingo 400 Mile Race. The New Year is going to start with a Bang.We need a new King for 2010 and we aim to give

hi mr. flamingo. welcome to the group! just wonderin' do we get perch fee discount as a PT member for the 2010 Flamingo entries?...lol:)

kalapati
San Diego

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
While I'm not a racer, I am looking forward to the race and seeing who is crowned "KING!"

Of course, I do have a soft spot for Warren's SFL 146!

Our best to all the entries and may they all make HOME!

Shi and Mr. Squeaks, former racing homing pigeon, retired :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi mr. flamingo. welcome to the group! just wonderin' do we get perch fee discount as a PT member for the 2010 Flamingo entries?...lol:):)

kalapati
San Diego
:)I wish I could. 6 for 5 is our best deal. We have a lot of partnerships to make it more affordable.Some breeders send only one or two pigeons and some are still here.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Flamingo, Do you have the early scoop on the 2010 race you want to share with us? We are seriously considering sending to your race this year. I have others and am looking to make our commitments early.
Ken

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flamingo, Do you have the early scoop on the 2010 race you want to share with us? We are seriously considering sending to your race this year. I have others and am looking to make our commitments early.
Ken
The 2010 Race series at the Flamingo International Challenge
WILL be bigger and better than 2009. With the great support of Smith Family Lofts on PT helping to get the word out and a great communication forum VIA PT, Facebook, Youtube and our website www.flamingoic.com you will always be informed and every question will be answered honestly as painful as that may be (Warren nows this as a Fact). Bottom Line, Your birds are very important to us. We are very conciencense about the health of your pigeons, your needs and concerns as well as providing the fairest competition in the game, guaranteed. All you have to do is ask. Jim

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Good to see a new addition to this racing pigeon section. and one that can add light to the compeitive level of racing.. No matter which Bird / loft wins the race It should be a race that tests the birds And brings credit to the breeder. And much thanks to you and the group for putting on the race which not only is work but testing ground for future top level birds and lofts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to see a new addition to this racing pigeon section. and one that can add light to the compeitive level of racing.. No matter which Bird / loft wins the race It should be a race that tests the birds And brings credit to the breeder. And much thanks to you and the group for putting on the race which not only is work but testing ground for future top level birds and lofts.
Our Goal is to be the Best.I am pretty new at the pigeon game(5yrs.) and am learning more every day.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think the addition of the 400 miler is great. I wish we had one here in our club. I love the long, hard ones and this is what I strive for. With this race you guys really are testing the birds to the fullest and I am also thinking if I can come up with the money next year I will send some there for your race. I don't know why anyone would not participate in this race. I think the 400 is going to become more popular and I think it is something we will start to see alot of in the one loft races in the future. You guys have the option to not race if the day has a real bad head wind right? So, the longer races almost always have no wind or a tail? The birds should be able to do this distance without a problem and help to test the birds a little. Here this year at one of our 350 yb races the birds were realeased with a 30 mph head wind. This wind was right on their nose. We had 2 day birds on the short end, 50-60 miles shorter than me right before dark. My first bird that was in the top ten was at 11 am the next day. It was the first on the long end, I stocked that bird that day. I think this is a great bird and would fly a 400 with no wind or a tail with no problem. So, the idea of not sending birds to your 400 is just crazy to me. When do you start taking birds for next year races?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the addition of the 400 miler is great. I wish we had one here in our club. I love the long, hard ones and this is what I strive for. With this race you guys really are testing the birds to the fullest and I am also thinking if I can come up with the money next year I will send some there for your race. I don't know why anyone would not participate in this race. I think the 400 is going to become more popular and I think it is something we will start to see alot of in the one loft races in the future. You guys have the option to not race if the day has a real bad head wind right? So, the longer races almost always have no wind or a tail? The birds should be able to do this distance without a problem and help to test the birds a little. Here this year at one of our 350 yb races the birds were realeased with a 30 mph head wind. This wind was right on their nose. We had 2 day birds on the short end, 50-60 miles shorter than me right before dark. My first bird that was in the top ten was at 11 am the next day. It was the first on the long end, I stocked that bird that day. I think this is a great bird and would fly a 400 with no wind or a tail with no problem. So, the idea of not sending birds to your 400 is just crazy to me. When do you start taking birds for next year races?
We start accepting birds in Febuary.We do fly in headwinds(not 30 mph) and have tough races. If your bird scores in the Flamingo you win and I win. We put alot of time and work in the birds. We are as excited to see them home as you are. Thank You.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I checked my email this morning and found the Racing Pigeon Newsletter had sent out a new set of articles. You guys are in it, if you haven't seen it already :) A lovely picture of your HUGE loft, and some of you guys together.

Here's what the bit says:
"The FLAMINGO International and the SUNSHINE STATE International are traditional one-loft races, both with well over $150,000 in prize money; both have several preliminary money races leading up to a 350 mile final race; and both can be watched on the web (internet) if the breeder can’t attend the race in person. The SUNSHINE race has four races and an Average Speed Award: 150 miles, 200 miles, 275 miles and 350 miles. The FALMINGO also has four races and an Average Speed Award: 150 miles, 200 miles, 250 miles, and 350 miles. The FLAMINGO is known for its delicious race day barbecue prepared for the race spectators. Hundreds of fanciers enjoy barbecued sausages, hot dogs, and hamburgers as they watch for the race birds.

As an added treat, last year the FLAMINGO organizer, John Gallagher (an Irishman originally from New York), presented an outdoor auction, in the Florida sunshine, right in front of the Flamingo loft! The pigeons were from that extraordinary German Champion Andreas Drapa, the 7 x 1st German National Champion and 3 x 1st Olympic Champion! America’s premier auctioneer Charlie Barbiere flew in, all the way from his home in New Jersey, to auction off the birds. Watching this man auctioneering makes one understand what a real professional is; what charisma and knowledge he has! The auction was a total success with one of the Drapas going for $4000!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked my email this morning and found the Racing Pigeon Newsletter had sent out a new set of articles. You guys are in it, if you haven't seen it already :) A lovely picture of your HUGE loft, and some of you guys together.

Here's what the bit says:
"The FLAMINGO International and the SUNSHINE STATE International are traditional one-loft races, both with well over $150,000 in prize money; both have several preliminary money races leading up to a 350 mile final race; and both can be watched on the web (internet) if the breeder can’t attend the race in person. The SUNSHINE race has four races and an Average Speed Award: 150 miles, 200 miles, 275 miles and 350 miles. The FALMINGO also has four races and an Average Speed Award: 150 miles, 200 miles, 250 miles, and 350 miles. The FLAMINGO is known for its delicious race day barbecue prepared for the race spectators. Hundreds of fanciers enjoy barbecued sausages, hot dogs, and hamburgers as they watch for the race birds.

As an added treat, last year the FLAMINGO organizer, John Gallagher (an Irishman originally from New York), presented an outdoor auction, in the Florida sunshine, right in front of the Flamingo loft! The pigeons were from that extraordinary German Champion Andreas Drapa, the 7 x 1st German National Champion and 3 x 1st Olympic Champion! America’s premier auctioneer Charlie Barbiere flew in, all the way from his home in New Jersey, to auction off the birds. Watching this man auctioneering makes one understand what a real professional is; what charisma and knowledge he has! The auction was a total success with one of the Drapas going for $4000!"
Thank You very much. Warren Smith had emailed me also. It is nice to have people and a forum where this can be shared and enjoyed by all. Thanks for the compliment on the loft. It is 100ft x 12ft. I am going to clean and repaint inside soon and will post a video of the inside when I am finished

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Wow, that's pretty big :eek: Beats my little loft, haha. I can't imagine having to clean and paint such a big place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flamingo, Are you going to join in our PT one loft race we are having among the members here?
:confused:I have been thinking about it I have to say that I do think it would be fun. Even though I am a part of a one loft race, I have only participated in one once. I will talk to my partner and go from there. Thank You for asking. Being new to PT I dont want to come off to strong.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts