Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first time here and well, it is obvious I need some direction in saving the life of this fledgling that I picked up in my yard 2 days ago.
He is not eating much. He has spinach like consistency, green poop. He flaps his wings but won't fly. He is about 2 weeks old or slightly older. I have taken him to the vet who informed me that nothing was broken. From internet pictures, he may be a collared dove.
I regret picking him up now that I know he is a fledgling and his parents may have been nearby. Haven't seen them at all though.
We have 6-10 feral cats in my yard at any given time as I feed them. I have indoor cats as well. My concern was that he would become an easy meal right at my doorstep ( where I found him). So, I brought him in and secured him in a warm place with food and water.
He is pecking but not really eating. I have syringe fed him oatmeal water mix and plain water but he is refusing that now. He won't touch the softened corn and peas. I bought him pidgeon food and he picks out the sunflower seeds every now and then.
Should I let him out tomorrow and see if his parents might come by or has that time passed? It will be the 3rd day he is with us. I just want him to join his folks and have a fighting chance at life. I will watch and keep away the cats as much as I can.
Or should I keep him indoors but what to do with his feeding as he won't take the syringe or eat seeds, veggies on his own? I have tried squeezing food through the piping case with a latex cover on it as seen on youtube. It is a no go.
It seems like if I continue keeping him indoors, he is going to die of starvation or weakness and if I let him out tomorrow, a predator will get him.
We have called 3 animal shelters and no one will take him. Our vet is not very knowledgeable about birds and told me to just keep feeding it oatmeal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video. I managed to feed him some oatmeal mixed with a probiotic and water with a syringe by opening his beak and dropping one drop at a time, into his crop. Also fed him some scrambled egg the same way.
And then, a local shelter (30 miles away) called and said a lady would take him since she has experience in rehabbing doves. Phew!
So I just drove there and dropped him/her off. Hope he takes off with her. She will update me later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.