Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Yesterday evening I found a fledgling pigeon sitting on the street. It did not move, just breathing very 'intensely': I waited for about 15 minutes but no parents showed up and since rescue centres werw already closed I decided to take it home with me since there were many dogs and joggers around.

It has been about 10 hours and the pigeon is in a cardboard box, no lid, with a large hamster cage around that box.

I have hand fed the pigeon a bit of water by dropping a bit on its beak with a pipette, since it was not drinking on its own. It did drink the drops by opening its beak a tiny bit.

I have also put some oats in the box with it, and it is inside the house where it is warmer. I have left the cage in the study where it can remain unbothered and in the dark.

It seems to have really runny stool, which happened after I fed it water. Some seems to be stuck in its cloaca and it is runny and yellow (see picture).

The pigeon is still breathing 'heavily', is this normal ?

What can I do ?

Best wishes,

Graingrain

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will also add that it does not seem to be breathing with its mouth open - dont know if changes much ?

Have read some other replies and am now scared it will die :'(

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Can you open his beak and check inside and towards the back of the throat for yellow growths? He might have canker, which can be treated. Do you have a hotwaterbottle? Cover with a soft blanket and put him next to it. He needs to stay warm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi - thanks for your reply !
This is my first pigeon so I have no idea how to open its b
Can you open his beak and check inside and towards the back of the throat for yellow growths? He might have canker, which can be treated. Do you have a hotwaterbottle? Cover with a soft blanket and put him next to it. He needs to stay warm.
Hi - thanks for your reply !
This is my first pigeon so I have no idea how to open its beak, but I have read some advice about hand feeding them peas that I will try. I am kind of scared of being too rough with it, what is the best position to do this ?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
You can put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper and he will swallow. Feed him 10 peas for now, when that gets digested (you will notice a change in the droppings) you can feed 20 more. You can also hydrate him by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

But first check for any yellow growths before feeding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do, thank you very much Marina !
Hi again,

So I wasnt really able to open its mouth - I try pressing against the sides of its beak but it wont budge. Seems more active now though and pooped again - much less runny now ! Despite me not doing anything haha.

He also seems to want to fly away even though he cannot fly yet. Also, he makes a strange 'ticking' sound when he breathes ? Is this just swallowing or something or digestion sounds ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: managed to feed it like 3 peas and im still working on it but am giving us a little break ! Cant open its mouth wide enough to 100% see if it has a canker sore but it doesn't look like it !

Still doing the breathing thing though...

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Are the peas going down well? You will notice them going down in the breast area to the crop. Any signs of difficulty swallowing? If not, then it's probably not canker. Sounds like a bit of respiratory problem. You can put down water in a deeper dish for him. Also put down small seeds in a dish, though I think he is too young to be eating by himself. Feeding peas will become easier the more you do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts