Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help One of my young pigeons was attacked I've cleaned and dressed it. Luckily it was only scalped under belly with some lacerations. I want to start it on an antibiotic but only have these on hand. What should I give.

Doxycycline 5% avoidox for respiratory

Bromhexine -HCL 1% with excipience 99%

Furaltadone 20% with ronidazole 10% with excipients 200%

What could I pick up at local tractor supply.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Sometimes you need to get drugs online, not at the local tractor supply. It's good to have them on hand in case of emergency. Those are not really what should be used for this bird. The Furaltadone would be the closest, but that's a powder isn't it. When you treat in the drinking water, you can't know how much they are getting. More for preventative for the rest of the flock when you do find that one of your birds is sick.

What attacked your bird?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The most commonly used oral antibiotic against infections caused by wounds is amoxicillin.
Sometimes, the infection is too strong and injectable antibiotics are needed. Signs of such infection are not very easy to distinguish, there is an agitation in behaviour, a psychological unrest. In such situation, if not given rapidly the drug, bird will day of sepsis, the disease advancing fastly. Often, birds die sudden, unexpectedly (without having the condition worsening in obvious way).

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Amoxycillin +Clavulanic Acid, marketed as Clavamox..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Jay3, I am going to order med now hopefully if I overnight it will be ok. I am using vetricyn which is usually awesome. I am also putting neosporin three times a day.

This little guy is a young bird just 4 times out now. I've been trap training it but it's still having trouble. I was actually cleaning the young bird loft and heard all the birds rush in from the aviary. Those that didn't quickly left the yard. I've learned now if my son and I quickly run our yard next to the wood line and trails we were able to save 5 of my pigeons out of 7 successful attacks. I live in the blue ridge mtns and a large coopers or red tail has identified my loft. It has made its permanent perch on the mtn ridge in front of my home. I never let them out unless we are out on guard but my loft is a fast food drive through now for this hawk. I've seen it many many times. One little savior I have in the sky are all the crows we have. They mob that hawk and get his attn else where.

I will post picture of the injury when I dress it again today. It's resting now and I don't want to disturb it. It tends to alude me and I'm afraid it will injure the healing. It really difficult picking it up with the injury being underneath any suggestions.

I know hawks are protected but I think if a home owner has numerous attacks there should be some rights. Heck American tax payers paid wildlife services out west in 2011 to kill 402 mtn Lions, 574 black bear, 536 badgers, 552 river otter, 365 graywolves, 4,590 foxes, 1,237 bobcats, 83,195 coyote, and 13,726 raccoon because home owners stated they were harming there animals or there livestock. Yep that was to much info for this thread. Sorry it want happen again.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Amoxycillin +Clavulanic Acid, marketed as Clavamox..

Yes that's usually what you would want, but pretty hard to get around here.

The wound is infected. You need to start antibiotics as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Beside treatment with antibiotics, the bird needs as much physical comfort as possible: a quiet and warm place, protected from drafts, like on an electric pad in a carboard box. The warmt of the room is not enough.

As the infection seems advanced, maybe giving injectable antibiotics is a more secure option, if they are available (they may cause crop candida though, so if using them, tacklingh candida as well is necessary). And as when giving any medicine, B vitamins to protect the liver from drugs' toxicity. As hepatoprotective supplement based on methionine is also beneficient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts