Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up the door to the flight and got my lawn chair and got a beer(took 6)and kicked back to see what was just going to happen, it took awhile for the bold ones to take a chance and even at that a few did not want to venture out at all. 7 out of 14 flew and two of my really nice ones that were older took off like there was no tomorrow, they circled the loft 3 or 4 times and headed out while the other were content to just hanging around and enjoying looking for roof grit lol. To make a long story short, all made it back except one of the bolder older ones. Maybe she, I think its a she will make it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Age?

How old are those birds? No problem with them traping? Mine have been in the new loft 1 week. They seem to be traping just fine but I am not ready to fly them just yet. Mine are 2 @ 33 days and [email protected] I am looking forward to doing what you just did but was wondering about age. i was going to give them 1 more week.What do you think? I have 2 more that will be going to the new loft in a couple days.
Thanks jack

·
Registered
330 Posts
Food?

1 more thing! Mine seem to be useing the trap just fine but are not comming to food yet. I just figured I didn't want to fly them untill they come to food, Am I wrong? Just need to know.
Thanks Jack

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one that did not make it back yet was a little older and pretty stong on the wing and that is not what you want, I feel that you younger you can get them out the better even though they are not coming to your food call, just dont let them out on a full belly, let them out hungry....

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hope your bird makes it back. Here in Connecticut it is a trade off between letting them out too late when they are pretty strong and likely to overfly their ability to get back and letting them out too early when they haven't a chance against any hawks that are still hanging around. I have my first eggs of the season - first 4 were layed yesterday and the day before.

Hugh

·
Registered
330 Posts
Age?

What kind of age do you like to let them out for the first time? I was thinking mine would be ready at the 35-40 day age but I don't know as these are my first. They look really good and I know they want to fly. My first were born on 1-31-10. Sorry don't mean to Hi-Jack.Wingsonfire, Hope your bird makes it home. Didn't mean to sound so supprised that you flew your birds-I was just thinking that I am missing the boat-LOL. I really don't know what age I should start. Congrats on flying them! I can't wait.
Jack

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me thinks they are about ready to let out Jack and dont worry about High-Jacking my thread lol, the one that did not come back as or yet is the sibling to the one that took off like a bat out of hell and was gone for a hour, I am still surprised that he made it back..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Feed

Tonight is the first they seemed like food ment anything to them. I guess I got them hungry-LOL- a couple more days and I think they will be ready. I really am excited.Wingsonfire-It had to be so cool but also so nerve racking.
Thanks for keeping us updated!
Jack

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I took my old birds down the road yesterday, for the first time this year. Took them five miles. Missing one white that I thought was a weirdo anyway. Hope it comes home today.

I did not race that bird last young bird season, because I had no confidence in it. It seemed too incompetent. Apparently I was right. Always came home late from short training tosses.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
should or would soaping the wing on the first time out help? I have young birds from other lofts.
If you want them to be easy targets for Mr. Hawk then I guess so... Please don't do it unless you're in a hawk free environment.

Wingsonfire - It is very exciting letting them out for the first time! It sucks that one strayed away. GIf he's a smart bird he'll return. Give him a few more days.

Jack - Let us know how it goes for you too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some one gave me some young birds, and said I should soap the wings the first time out.
I used to see kids in my neighborhood as a child do this when they bought birds from a loft close by so that the birds COULDN'T fly off far their first time out. Also a lot of neighborhood kids would along with their parents clip one side of a birds wing so that it couldn't fly off very far it's first time out from their loft.

I just think that those things are dangerous if there are Predators around such as Cats. A bird needs to be able to take flight quickly without being hindered. Just my 2 Penny's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well the young birds are just a little older then he would have wanted to give me. So thats
's why he said soap the wings. And I don't have much of a hawk problem. I think I seen one this year. I do have a lot of crows around.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Well the young birds are just a little older then he would have wanted to give me. So thats
's why he said soap the wings. And I don't have much of a hawk problem. I think I seen one this year. I do have a lot of crows around.
Be extra careful about thinking hawks aren't around. They are very stealthy creatures. When I first got my birds I thought the same thing...after about 6 months I realized I was wrong about not having hawks. Now I can basically predict when my local hawks will pay me and my birds a visit!:;) Once they know you have a loft full of pigeons it'll never be the same. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts