Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I live in central Tokyo and feed a few flocks of pigeons near my apartment. In one of the flocks I noticed a pigeon that always seemed separated from the rest of the flock (seeming a little slower and somewhat dazed). I ran into her last week at night and realized something was wrong.

I fed her and hoped for the best. Then day/night after day/night I have been seeing her shivering and cold (it has been really cold and snowing/raining/sleet this past month). So, when last night I went to the grocery store -- where she usually is (after a day of cold sleet) I saw her standing near the door's entrance hoping to catch some warmth. She was wet, and shivering in the dark.

Couldn't take seeing this anymore (after a week) and brought her home, put her in a box (as I have read on this and other forums) warmed her up, gave her food and water, etc...

Now it is a day later and she still seems a little nervous. She hasn't eaten much, but, through it all she seems fairly alert.

Problem is, she can't fly. I have looked her over and can't find any reason for this, her wings look OK, her poop looks OK. Could she just be exhausted? It has been a cold winter.

Is there anything I can do to help speed her mending time? Could this be something else?

As I said, I live in central Tokyo is a smallish apartment (with a balcony) so, having a feral pigeon is not a very good situation, but I will take care of her as long as needed.

Any help or ideas on why she is not flying would be of great help.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from anyone on this board.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your Email.

Any update on this bird?
Thanks for the post. Well it is actually one month to the day since we brought her home. She must have been in worse shape than I thought so as her recovery seems to be taking a long time.

Last week she finally started cleaning herself - preening and started to stretch out her wings. One wing seems to have more range than the other, but under close observation I really cannot find anything wrong with her bones, there appears to be no break or damage. Just one wing seems to work better than the other.

Her breast bone doesn't feel as sharp anymore and feels like there is a little more meat to her, but still small. We do not restrict her food so she seems to have a healthy appetite.

She really loves peanuts. So we give her some now and then.

She, no matter how much we handle her or spend time with her, seems to be an angry bird. Not sure angry is the right word but she will peck, pinch and bite no matter what. Not sure why this is, as other pigeons from her flock seem to be very nice and friendly. Could be that she is living in a small apartment with us.

We let her out of her pen and she seems to like sitting in our kitchen when my wife is cooking dinner. She actually seems to prefer action and noise to silence and calm.

All of her wounds have healed nicely and there is no sign of any troubles/infections there.

Anyway....

I am wondering, if a pigeon is recovering, after a month and the bird still cannot fly... is this normal? Could it just take more time and what is the longest you have heard of a pigeon needing to get back on her feet (so to speak)?

Again thanks for all the help this board has provided us.

See a video of her here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8wDLIGpH08

Pic of her in the kitchen just before my wife cooks dinner. - she does seem to like to spend time around her.
Actually it seems she prefers my wife and I wonder if some birds are gender sensitive.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good that you took care of it. It behaves as mine did. When rescued when she would be in her cage trying to bit me. Over time things have changed and now she follows me everywhere trying to sit on my shoulder.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Very glad you helped her! Phoebe didn't try to use her wings for three months after her wing was broken, and she bit and wing slapped us for weeks after that. Now she is really friendly. Just give your bird time. She's been through a lot. She prefers me to my significant other so perhaps they are gender sensitive. Occasionally she will change her preferred person. I think they just tend to bond with one bird or person at a time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's hard to tell how long she will take to heal. I'm just happy that you and your wife found this poor baby. As far as biting and being mean that's going to take some time too. I have had George about 6 months now and he still get's a attitude and will still bite at my fingers. He was the same way your girl is now. I just kept talking to him and praising him for things when he would be nice. If you can try to get the bird to eat peanuts out of your hand. If she won't take them just get as close as you can and drop them by her. Then every time get a little closer to her. That's what I did with George and as I did get closer I would talk to him.
I would say aww look at pretty Georgie he is so cute.
It took a little while but he came around now he comes and sits on my head or shoulder when he wants a treat. I put his treats in a little plastic container and I shake them letting him know I have your treats you better be nice. I know every pigeon is different and has there own personality. But don't give up because I know Just before you feel like giving up they will come around. I'm pretty new at the taking care of pigeon's thing all I know is there are very good people on here to guide you through anything.
CBL is one of the sweetest people on here to talk to she has great idea's that will help you. Just ask her anything and she will be glad to help you.
Good luck and I hope she comes around soon so you can enjoy how wonderful these birds can be. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
CBL is one of the sweetest people on here to talk to she has great idea's that will help you. Just ask her anything and she will be glad to help you.
Good luck and I hope she comes around soon so you can enjoy how wonderful these birds can be. :D
I second that. She knows her pigeon stuff! I had a small issue with my pigeon and CBL was able to find other problems I was not aware of!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
--- Update --- & Questions.

Hello everyone, and a big hello.
I hope you and your feathered friends are all doing well.
I just thought I would peek my beak in and give you all an update and ask a question.

First of all, we finally found a Vet a while away that would take a look at her as we were growing more and more concerned as to why she was not flying two months on.

Well, when we took her to the vet for her initial consultation, the vet, like us could not, upon physical examination find anything wrong with her. So, upset that we were no closer in understanding her problem, and already ¥ 10,000 in we opted to get some X-rays to see if they could shed some light on her problem.

Turns out her wing was dislocated and broken in three places. However they appear to have happened so long ago that they mended and were not able to be seen or felt.

The doctor thinks that she must have been born last summer and sustained these injures last autumn. In fact she was shocked that she was able to make it through the winter in almost it's entirety.

So are we.
Making a long story short, she will never fly again.

Thus, we have settled into our role as her caretaker and as we now have proof (via veterinarian records) that we are protecting the bird rather than keeping her - it will not involve any problems with the authorities should any of our neighbours choose to cause a stink about a pigeon living in our building.

So, as the days and weeks pass, her personality is slowly changing too.
She is become less irritable and pecks much less. In fact, she seems to welcome being allowed to roam free while we eat dinner or watch TV rather than being cooped up in her pen.

So, we are hoping in a few more months she will actually be nice.
We shall she, but given all she has gone through I am not surprised that she is not the friendliest bird in the world and acts out.

So, I guess we have a new addition to our family. We are thinking of taking her down to my wife's parents house in Nagoya next month (as they live in a semi rural suburb) and she if she seems to like it better there.

We shall see.

Anyway. We also have a couple of questions. The first being much more pressing than the second.

1) We have noticed she is drinking a whole lot more water lately. Much more and is also peeing much, much more.
Peeing alot and with every poop (please see pics).

---Our question is, what could be causing her heightened thirst and consequent urination? It is so much than it was just a month ago, and while she does not appear to be sick, as such, we are concerned.

2) She has been an extreme biter since we rescued her. Her beak has always had a point to it, similar to a bald eagle. But a couple of days ago, I noticed that it looked like part or or all of the end or her beak looks like it is going to break off. Is this normal? Could it be related to her urination problem? Or does this sound like she has been pecking too much?

Sorry for such a long post and I thank all of you that read it and doubly thank those of you that are kind enough to post a follow up message.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thank you for your decision to keep this bird with you. I'm sure you won't regret. The secret of happiness is to give, not to take.

Trying to answer your two questions:

1. If her droppings never turn normal, solid and dark, then surely is a problem: her intestine was infected by a pathogen. Giving the fact that her health doesn't seem to deteriortate fast, I would say is not a virulent pathogen, like Salmonella. From similar experiences I had, I tend to think is e.coli, which is pretty good, as is easily kept under control when is located in the intestine. I would recommend you to start giving Amoxicillin, 40 mg for a 300 gr bird / day for 6 days. If in this period the droppings don't turn solid and dark, then is not e.coli but something else, perhaps canker or worms. If is e.coli, usually in less then 3 days you see droppings turning almost normal.

2. Regarding beak break, yes, it may be a result of enteritis she has, in the sense that the losing of so much water take away also the minerals from organism and makes beak and bones more fragile.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Thanks

What a nice thing to say, thanks so much. Krzys too, thanks for the vote of confidence. Happy to help.

Ok so that beak if it is loose and crooked, you can just wiggle it off. As to the urine and extra drinking, what has changed, what are you feeding her, any grits, minerals, SALTS? Are the poops ALWAYS like that or does she have normal ones in between. Take pics of a few of her poops through out the day. If it is the odd one with extra pee, no worries, if it is all of them all the time, then we are missing something. It would indicate kidney issue if any.

Run down a list of what happens in a typical day of food, water, grits and such.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Ok so that beak if it is loose and crooked, you can just wiggle it off.
Thanks CBL, actually it just broke off one morning on its own. She doesn't look bad though, it fact she looks more like other pigeons here.

If her droppings never turn normal, solid and dark, then surely is a problem: her intestine was infected by a pathogen. Giving the fact that her health doesn't seem to deteriortate fast, I would say is not a virulent pathogen, like Salmonella.
As to the urine and extra drinking, what has changed, what are you feeding her, any grits, minerals, SALTS?

We are still just feeding her the pigeon food that we bought her, some minerals, peanuts in the evening and occasionally small pieces of bread (as she seems to like the latter the best).

Lately I would say, looking at her droppings that during the time between bedtime and waking her poop looks normal.

She then will have a few watery ones and then a normal one then a dry one.

Seems like during the day 50-70% of her poop is very watery, the rest seem normal.

We basically give her water and food all day (to eat and drink at her discretion). We tried to limit her food to "feeding times" but that didn't seem to work as she didn't want to eat when we gave it to her.
Then she stopped pooping because she ate so little.
So we gave her food back.

In the evening we feed her a few soaked peanuts. These are what she really, really likes and I am worried that she is not eating her regular food because she is waiting for them.

lol...

Pics A and B are kind of what her poop is like. A is first when it was kind of hard and normal and B is in the same spot not 10 mins later when it starts to go watery. The pic in the last post is what it looks like 10 mins after that.

Thanks for the input though.... I look forward to hearing back from you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If she passes lot of liquid, can be e.coli. Havr you tried amoxiciiln?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts