Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Calliope and I like to go on walks when the weather is nice (she sits on my shoulder), and I have a medium-sized Flightsuit that I put on her for that purpose.

We have used it many times by now so I would think she would get used to it, but she has trouble with her balance whenever she wears it. She falls backwards if I try to get her to step up and just seems "awkward" wearing it.

I would like to be able to keep her diapered whenever I have her out of the cage since it would make clean-up a lot easier, but I only put the Flightsuit on for walks right now because of the balance issues it causes her. I have looked into other harnesses but I particularly like the Flightsuit because of the diaper thing. I looked at Jungle Wear as well but those appear to be very similar to the Flightsuits.

I recently saw a post on this forum about BirdWear and had a look at it - it looks quite different from the Flightsuit but still has that diaper pouch. I also like that it's custom made for your bird's chest and back measurements. I'm not sure it would make a difference, though, as I am worried it might be the actual diaper pouch that is throwing her balance off.

Do any of you have experience with Flightsuits vs. BirdWear? Any ideas as to how I can diaper my girl without messing her balance up? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Balance issues

Hello there,

I have Birdwear for my little house pidge and in the beginning she had the same issues. She wears hers 24/7 except when I change it and take it off to wash and no matter how much she wears it, when I first put it back on after it has been off for a few hours, it's like she forgets how to wear them. After about ten minutes of wiggling and losing her balance off the couch, she gets over it and walks and balances and flys normally. My suggestion would be to start having your pidge wear it whenever she is loose and she will start to acclimate more quickly every time. That's the experience I have had with Kali since I got my Birdwear from Boni about two months ago. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
she's really cute. reminds me of my Esmarelda.small white hens with tiny beaks and wattle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Boni is working on developing PGWear for doves by using DeeDee as a "template". DeeDee also has balance issues with the harness. I feel bad for him when he tips over backwards and starts to fall and has to "catch" himself. That HAS to be terrifying for a flighted creature. When I first put it on him, he pouts and flops around until he realizes I'm not going to take it off, and then he will fly with it. I do notice that he cannot be as 'acrobatic' while wearing it.

We had some major problems with DeeDee insisting on hanging onto the elastic that goes under his tummy. We finally reduced that until it is a negligible problem by using a different design with a different type of elastic.

We still don't have it perfected for doves, and Boni may still make some design changes. She's already made quite a few to allow for the dove's smaller size. She's made the pouch much smaller and changed the front piece and the tabs across the back. I'd told her that I'd really like to see a pouch that is much lighter to help with the balance issues. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to lighten the pouch, let me know and I'll pass the ideas on to Boni.

I'm quite sure DeeDee is totally unimpressed about being a "test subject", but I very much appreciate Boni doing this, because I have a lot of lung issues and can't afford to catch anything else.

I have, currently, been allowing DeeDee a little completely free flight time, without the diaper, while keeping very close tabs on where he poops so I can clean it up either immediately or asap, and then I put him in the harness for another hour or two. That schedule has significantly reduced the amount of poop I have to clean up when I do "poop patrol".

I was curious as to if pigeon owners who use the harnesses have also noticed balance problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

I have been in touch with Boni and Calliope is going to be involved as a dove wear "tester" as well. I'm excited. The whole Flightsuit thing really bugs me, but so does the poop, which is why I haven't tried the Aviator harness yet :/

Isn't she pretty? She'd probably like DeeDee too, I know she enjoys flirting with the conure at the pet shop where I work, so I bet she'd be even happier to flirt with another dove! :p

·
Registered
258 Posts
She is VERY pretty...and looks so feminine. DeeDee is a rough n' tumble boy, even though he has a girl's name. (Granddaughter insists he's a she).

Hopefully Boni will solve the balance issue. I think we've got most of the other issues taken care of.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Unfortunately, the only pic I have of DeeDee that I am able to get up on the board is the one in my signature of him with my granddaughter, and you really can't see him all that well since he's facing away. I'm working on it. But yes, they would be a cute "couple". LOL.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would love to see a new pic if/when you manage to get one!

I find Calliope a little hard to photograph because of all the "head bobbing" she does. I got a new camera for my birthday, though, which is pretty fast at taking pictures. I've had a little more success with that!

By the way, I'm curious - what color is DeeDee? Can't tell from the picture. Calliope is light cream :) Her eyes look black in all the photographs I take of her so she looks like a bull-eyed white in pictures, but her eyes are actually mottled orangish-reddish and she has a slight off-white tint to most of her body.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Would love to see a new pic if/when you manage to get one!

I find Calliope a little hard to photograph because of all the "head bobbing" she does. I got a new camera for my birthday, though, which is pretty fast at taking pictures. I've had a little more success with that!

By the way, I'm curious - what color is DeeDee? Can't tell from the picture. Calliope is light cream :) Her eyes look black in all the photographs I take of her so she looks like a bull-eyed white in pictures, but her eyes are actually mottled orangish-reddish and she has a slight off-white tint to most of her body.
I'm kind of like you in that getting a good picture is hard. He rarely stays still long enough. LOL. But I'll try. The picture on your signature is lovely, and Calliope looks very much the high-born lady. :) I have some adorable pics of DeeDee wearing doll hats while playing with my granddaughter, but they're on my phone and I can't seem to get them off.

DeeDee seems to be pretty much the "wild type". A soft dusty brown with purplish tinges around the neck and chest, and with the typical black ring that is edged with white. In the picture with Jasmin, DeeDee is still very young and hadn't even done his first moult, so he didn't have his neck ring yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello there,

I have Birdwear for my little house pidge and in the beginning she had the same issues. She wears hers 24/7 except when I change it and take it off to wash and no matter how much she wears it, when I first put it back on after it has been off for a few hours, it's like she forgets how to wear them. After about ten minutes of wiggling and losing her balance off the couch, she gets over it and walks and balances and flys normally. My suggestion would be to start having your pidge wear it whenever she is loose and she will start to acclimate more quickly every time. That's the experience I have had with Kali since I got my Birdwear from Boni about two months ago. :)
That's information that's good to know. I passed on the information to Boni about your pidgeon also having some balance issues, at least at first when you put it on. I do think that figuring out how to reduce the weight of the pouch would be a terrific benefit, especially for doves, since they're so much smaller than pigeons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts