Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can buy 4x8 foot floor grates? I have a friend that has some that were given to him, they are plastic i think and are very strong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the ones you built SB (GREAT JOB) and i might do the same. Just hunting for any more ideas on what other people use. The guy i know got three i think given to him and they are awesome. :)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
There not hard to make if you have the right tools. It took me a day to do the three. I got the strips at lowe's only had to cut everything to length.
Clamp a couple strips together and drill them all at the same time it goes faster.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My son and I used shady's plans to make our floors. To date we are up to 128sqft. here are some important things to keep in mind:

• We spaced wide (1.5"). This required a center support for my ... largeness (220lb) ... to feel safe.
• With 1.5" spacing each 4x4 section requires 12 8' strips and 5 5/8" dowels. Look for "contractor pack" pricing and buy in bulk.
• Make a jig for drilling. Use a 2x4x6 as the base and 1/2" ply for the fence. Drill 5/8 hole at 3' center and .75" from fence face (will prevent blow out). Drill 5/8" stop hole 7" from center and .75" from fence face. Cut a 3" section of dowel and put in stop hole. Once you drill your first hole use the 3" stop dowel to position for second hole. Repeat for each hole.
• If you are like me and are stuck with crappy strips don't worry. put a cleat 1.55" from fence face centered at 3'. Get some shims and use the cleat to force the strips against the fence. This will make the slightly curved strips usable.
• Do all the drilling at the same time and use the strips quick. Makes it easier.

The son and I were able to get 4 sections done in about 2 hours using the jig and patience. It is worth the effort to take your time and do it right.

Thanks to shady for this. I will have to post some pics once I get a little further.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Lots of good ideas Jaysen. If you can't use the strips right away put 5 or 6 on top of each other and clamp them together tight they will stay straight that way until your ready.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 2x4 that was perfectly straight when I bought it from Lowes 3 days ago. Now it is a combo rocking chair/corkscrew. Very frustrating getting wood up here.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I have a 2x4 that was perfectly straight when I bought it from Lowe's 3 days ago. Now it is a combo rocking chair/corkscrew. Very frustrating getting wood up here.
Don't you hate when they do that. When i buy a lot of lumber i always rack them on top of each other and set something on them that is heavy they stay straight that way until your ready to use them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jaysen - I had the same experience with my 2 x 4 's. Then I discovered that HD and Lowes sells two kinds of 2 x 4's - "green" doug fir, and kiln dried pine or fir. The dried ones keep their shape better. The green ones twist as they dry out. After my first batch, I only buy the dried ones.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Been there on the kiln v. green. This was KD. Real bummer.

shady, this sucker was on the BOTTOM of the stack sitting on 3 stickers (0,2,8 ft). There must have been 200 LB of weight on it AND it was in the middle of the bottom layer. As we unstack the pile, it started to lift. It was quite surprising. This sucker is now being used to provide spacers between the floor and the lower stringers. Nothing goes to waste.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
If you ever look at the piles at lowes the ones on top are always bowed because they dried out. I always root through them a couple layers down till i get straight ones. My Lowe's store is 5 min away so i usually just go get what i want each day and i know since last spring i have been there almost every day and have the receipts to prove it. LOL Our walmart is there to so we kill 2 birds with one stone. Probably not a good saying on here. LOL

·
Registered
851 Posts
The lowes guys have taken to watching me after I refused to restack all the bad wood. The worst part was that there were 3 other folks there, all contractors, who were getting special attention, like pulling new pallets down to get fresh supplies, while the rest of us had to pick through the left overs. My $$ is no different than their $$ so I should not be forced to deal with bad wood.

Eventually the local store started to listen and has been culling the wood better, but in general the supply up here is pretty bad. Even the local specialty hardwood shops are having issue. Not sure if the kilns are rushing things or what, but...

Back to the shop.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Been there on the kiln v. green. This was KD. Real bummer.

shady, this sucker was on the BOTTOM of the stack sitting on 3 stickers (0,2,8 ft). There must have been 200 LB of weight on it AND it was in the middle of the bottom layer. As we unstack the pile, it started to lift. It was quite surprising. This sucker is now being used to provide spacers between the floor and the lower stringers. Nothing goes to waste.
A lot of the over kill on my loft was just to use up the extra wood like the pieces i put between the studs at the top and bottom, but it also served a purpose kept the studs from twisting.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't think my wife love's me quite as much as yours does you. All my boards have to be accounted for!

On a slightly more serious note, I will not let her see any of your work. She already thinks the birds have a better place to live. Seeing your work would only increase the discomfort of explaining, yet again, that the nest boxes must be built by January and since there is no "mating" going on in the kitchen so it gets to wait.

That brings up an interesting dilemma. She could make me an offer that I would be stupid to refuse!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts