Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Putting a floor in my loft and was wondering if a screened floor would be better then a plywood floor? Screened floor would be made of heavy guage wire strudy enough for me to walk on.

Thanks for any input,
WiskeyJaR

P.S. would my flight pen need flooring too, or can that remain as a dirt floor?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Putting a floor in my loft and was wondering if a screened floor would be better then a plywood floor? Screened floor would be made of heavy guage wire strudy enough for me to walk on.

Thanks for any input,
WiskeyJaR

P.S. would my flight pen need flooring too, or can that remain as a dirt floor?
I would go with a wood floor and screen in the aviary, wire floor in the loft is hard to clean, poop still gets built up on it and then you would have to scrub it off....not for me!, I would rather just take 20 mins a day and scrap the wood floor. plus roaches and bugs and moisture would come up in through the floor and then you have to clean under the loft as it gets piled up under there, and you could smell it in damp weather...not for me. but there are some who do have them and they can tell you what they may like about it, so others will have opinions on it too.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Where do you live? What's the weather like? I would have to agree with spirit wings, and for the same reasons. Mosquitos would get in also. Bad for the birds. I like a floor I can scrape and clean, and not have to worry about cleaning under it. The birds probably prefer walking on a solid floor also. As far as the aviary, you really need hardware cloth. Rats can dig under, skunks can too. Both will kill your birds. The soil gets dirty with bacteria, and you can't clean or disinfect it. My aviary is raised, with hardware cloth. I put pine needles underneath, and rake out now and then. Works great for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
live in Oregon, east side of valley along the foothills. LOTS of rain in winter with a few snow days, not many but a few. The flight pen has a wire mesh floor, laying on ground. Dirt has come up threw, but wire is still intact.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't see why anyone just uses wood chips, or beding. I know it goes all over when they fly, but that doesn't happen as much as you think it would. Ive had beding in the loft for about a month and havn't had to clean it yet!!! And I like things staying ***** and spand.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had wood chips on the floor untill birds got sick. Raked and scraped ground bare again when I cleaned out loft. Thought about lining the floor in the flight pen with chips again.....or maybe sod?

any thoughts on sod in the flight pen, would I have the same issues as a straight dirt floor?

P.S. I used to be a flat worker in cement, would be easy enough to cover floor. The local city thinks a cement slab of any kind equals a "perment structure" and would need a permit and such. Way too much hassle for a 8x16 slab :/

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I used both and I hated both. You clean often with wood floor. Less on wire floor, but feathers can fall below and gets scattered all over the place. I hate scattered feathers all over the place. I think wire floor may be more sanitary though, but may be hard to clean when it is cleaning time unless you can blast them with water hose.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I had wood chips on the floor untill birds got sick. Raked and scraped ground bare again when I cleaned out loft. Thought about lining the floor in the flight pen with chips again.....or maybe sod?

any thoughts on sod in the flight pen, would I have the same issues as a straight dirt floor?

P.S. I used to be a flat worker in cement, would be easy enough to cover floor. The local city thinks a cement slab of any kind equals a "perment structure" and would need a permit and such. Way too much hassle for a 8x16 slab :/
cement is cold and damp.....in the flight I would pile on the wood shavings, but get the ones for horse stalls in "bales" which is a plastic coverd compressed large block, if it is for horses which are sensitve it is good for pigeons.they make sure it is all pine with out anything toxic in there, I use it in my flight and my chicken pen, they both have a roof though and it does not get wet. I turn it like a compost pile and add more shavings as I need, I keep it thick to keep the pigeons off the dirt. this is called the deep litter method and it works, I clean the whole thing out twice a year and start over. as far as the loft floor, I still think wood is what you will be happier with in the long run, esp if you have alot of rain.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't see why anyone just uses wood chips, or beding. I know it goes all over when they fly, but that doesn't happen as much as you think it would. Ive had beding in the loft for about a month and havn't had to clean it yet!!! And I like things staying ***** and spand.:D
how deep did you make it?, and do you have a dirt floor under the shavings? I would think dust can be an issue in a closed loft, I use it under the perches on humid or rainy days as the poop stays more soft and the shavings takes up some moisture, I thought of putting down a thick layer of shavings in the loft, but then I know one day Im going to have to shovel it out and replace it....I think a bare wood floor is easier as there is not a "big job" to have to do at some point, just a bit of work everyday, which I enjoy being in the loft anyway and checking on my birds and they get used to the routine and me. JMO, in winter though the deep shavings in the loft sound pretty good...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Like you said SW, cement gets damp. Our barn has a cement floor and its Amazing how damp it gets! The floor changes a complete different color when it's damp. But its a good thing we have a bunch of wood and our barn to drie all it out. When I go into my loft after the ceament gets damp, I'll move some wood chips around and on top it's nice and dry, while underneath its damp. Those wood chips soak in all the wetness and keep my loft pretty dry.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oh sorry Spirit wings, I didn't read your questions before I post. Um...no, under the wood chips is cement. I only have about an inch or two of beding down and it works great. I don't see how it would be a big job to shovle it out. All you would have to do is shovle it into a wheel-barrel and domp it in the garden or somthing like that. And its not like you have to get every piece out. As for dust, it's kinda hard to understand the layout but, we have a horse stall about 15 feet from the loft, and when he is able to get out (which is every day exept in the winter) he can come out of hes stall near the loft and go outside through a large door. Wow that was a long sentence! In other words, theres a big door right next to the loft that lets all the dust out; expecially when we have a bit of wind.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Oh sorry Spirit wings, I didn't read your questions before I post. Um...no, under the wood chips is cement. I only have about an inch or two of beding down and it works great. I don't see how it would be a big job to shovle it out. All you would have to do is shovle it into a wheel-barrel and domp it in the garden or somthing like that. And its not like you have to get every piece out. As for dust, it's kinda hard to understand the layout but, we have a horse stall about 15 feet from the loft, and when he is able to get out (which is every day exept in the winter) he can come out of hes stall near the loft and go outside through a large door. Wow that was a long sentence! In other words, theres a big door right next to the loft that lets all the dust out; expecially when we have a bit of wind.
oh, yes I see, that sounds like it works out good for you. my loft is only 8 x 16 with doors only going out to the aviary and small doors for trapping, so even just a bit of shavings which I do use sometimes makes some dust in there. but the aviary is like a compost pile as it has a dirt bottom, so I turn it and the natural microorganisms take care of things, no smell at all. I may try the thicker shavings in the winter...thanks.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live, and what kind of weather you're dealing with. Wouldn't covering a damp cement floor with shavings encourage mold? I mean, I understand that it would soak up the dampness some from the floor, but I would think that because the wood chips get damp, that they could grow molds and fungus. The top would feel dry, but underneath would stay damp. Just wondering.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It dosn't get that damp for me.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It dosn't get that damp for me.
Which is it then? You just said this:confused:

"Like you said SW, cement gets damp. Our barn has a cement floor and its Amazing how damp it gets! "

Anyway, when I said that I had put it on the loft floor during the colder months, others came in and said that it wasn't good because of the dust. Just wondering. Is it good or bad? It seemed to keep it a bit cozier during the winter. Don't know if I should be using it or not.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you have alot of dampness issues then I would go with Durarock....it is a very hard backing used for laying tile. You can make a frame off of the ground with compressed 2x4's and then lay down the durarock. It is good stuff. You can find it at Home Depot. Depending on the size of your loft it should not cost more than $75 for the whole shibang.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you have alot of dampness issues then I would go with Durarock....it is a very hard backing used for laying tile. You can make a frame off of the ground with compressed 2x4's and then lay down the durarock. It is good stuff. You can find it at Home Depot. Depending on the size of your loft it should not cost more than $75 for the whole shibang.
Is that the stuff I have heard referred to as cement board?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts