Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't think you can keep your birds clean and healthy with a dirt floor. rats can dig in, snakes. It depends on what you plan to do with the birds, if you plan to race or show your pigeons, you need to get some kind of floor in your loft, a wood floor that you can scrape and bleach or a raised expanded metal floor that the dropings can fall through and you can rake under.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm using wire mesh suspended about 3 feet and with plastic tarp under the loft. Most poop and refuse goes underneath and I just replace tarp with new one. I don't need to scrap it all the time.

not sure how good is this in winter though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you can lay 1/4" plywood over the wire floor in the winter if it gets that cold, just scrape it. When the weather warms up just pull the plywood out and store it till next winter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeah I was actually thinking if it's better to put it under the tarp and wire mesh and not over? In this way I don't need to scrap the plywood.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a ply floor and recently met a cabinet maker that uses Poplar wood . He discards his shavings , said I could get all I wanted . Would this be a good substrate to use on my
loft floor ? Thank you in advance .

·
Banned
3,342 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
my loft is dirt floor because i am using an old metal shed,( i have converted in to loft with plenty of ventalation ) i have 1/4 hardware cloth over that to prevent things from digging in and on top of that i am using sand, it is easy for me to rake it out and i do it once a week, all my birds are healthy and happy.i was thinking of trying pine shaving but was told it would only blow all over the place and is a pain to keep clean an you have to keep replacing it. i only add more sand when it is getting to low to the hardware cloth, which is every other month or so.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Nothing wrong with a dirt floor. A lot of birds are kept in aviaries, which of course use the ground as the floor. Sand is a good idea. Easy to work with and you can use it as a sort of litter box.

Just a couple things to keep in mind. Make sure there's no food left in the loft at night. It attracts rodents and as mentioned before, they are very good diggers. The idea above of putting wire down first is great because nothing can get through it. Also you'll want to worm regularly to make sure they don't pick up anything from the dirt :)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
my loft is dirt floor because i am using an old metal shed,( i have converted in to loft with plenty of ventalation ) i have 1/4 hardware cloth over that to prevent things from digging in and on top of that i am using sand, it is easy for me to rake it out and i do it once a week, all my birds are healthy and happy.i was thinking of trying pine shaving but was told it would only blow all over the place and is a pain to keep clean an you have to keep replacing it. i only add more sand when it is getting to low to the hardware cloth, which is every other month or so.
Do you find that the sand retains any moisture that could rust your hardware cloth?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
my loft has a dirt floor, ive been using wood chips, thinking of using sand, any suggestions?
try it and see how you like it, allot of keepers use sand. I have my preferances but it may not be yours..I do not use sand because I live in a humid area where fleas like sand esp dry sand..so I do not use it. I like my wood floor so I can keep an eye on their droppings.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Do you find that the sand retains any moisture that could rust your hardware cloth?
when i put in more sand to even it out so far i haven't had any problems with moisture and no rusting of hardware cloth or the shed :) and when i rake it it isn't dusty either, only dust i get is from their feather molting...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Any special sand, or just regular sandbox variety?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i use what we call " sugar sand " here, its very fine like sandbox. and i mix the sand we have here in my back yard, their aviary is sand also

·
Registered
16 Posts
i am remodeling a very good long building,it will actually allow 3 seperate lofts,and i was planning on a racing loft,and 2 breeding lofts,the entire building has wooden floors,and i need only attach fly pens,,should i keep the fly pens off the ground, or can the flypens allow the birds to walk in sand?
what do WINNERs suggest?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts