Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave me a pigeon that "could not fly". I didn't examine the bird as it didn't seem very thin but next day when I looked at the chest bone, it appears it didn't have flesh at all, just bone and skin, literally. On the other hand, the crop was filled with food that was hardly passing ino body, because of some large corn seeds (that she later vomited) and other kinds of hard o soft food in various degrees of digestion and decomposition.

As was making green poops, I gave one Lincospectin shot and then started to treat for canker, as it seemed to be that the yellow (rates) - green (feces) droppings were indicating this disease. Today I realised (based on dropping similarities wit other cases) that is something bacterial and I gave another shot.

Three days later, same situation, very thin, crop slowly emptying and filled with decomposing food that must have an awful taste for her.

It would be of great help if I could empty the crop. It appears is some harder food or candida formation that is no absorbed through proventriculus.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fortunately, over night she vomited the "ball". Droppings also turned to more normal color following injection.

The ball consisted of grinded seeds (my own homemade "kaytee"), three big corn seeds and some elastic mucus, probably candida. On the bottom of the crop there still is some old food.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Canker is often the cause of a blockage in the crop. Would do the full treatment for that.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When I got her, she was badly infested with candida, visible in mouth, which cleared after a dose of Fluconazole and 2 of Nistatin. Because of green droppings, I administered both antibiotics and metronidazole, supposing either salmonella or canker as the cause of her extreme emaciation. Now I tend to think was canker but both or only salmonella is not excluded.

This morning, she vomited the last corn seed and grinded "debris" that was compacted on the bottom of the crop. Then I filled her crop with warm water, that washed the crop and in an hour was absorbed in body. Now the crop is filled only with fresh food and functions normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts