Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are shots of our newly completed Fly Cage adjoining the Bird Barn:

First view is looking north: The fly cage is 18'w x 32'l x 9'h. It is constructed of Douglas Fir logs cut off the property, as well as recycled Red Cedar siding (ground wall perimeter) that the neighbor was carting off to the dumps. There's a two-door system (construction on the right side) to prevent birds from escaping. The primary expense was the vinyl-coated fence netting (good for our damp climate) and the cables used to strengthen the edges, alleviating the need for excessive roof supports and interior posts, keeping the space open and airy.

Second view is looking NW: It shows the two-door entry, as well as the back of an outdoor hot/cold utility sink (inside cage, on right). The sink was also saved from the dumps.

The final view is a partial shot of the yard with a few birds getting accustomed to their new digs.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
wow :eek: that looks absolutely amazing. great job, I'm completely jealous.

·
Registered
145 Posts
man that place is awesome!! congrats on the hard work and time put into it.

the concern that i thought of when i saw the pictures, is your location, someplace in the woods!!! do you have any problems with pests?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My favorite loft ever!
It's amazing what one can do with cast off parts. Great job...yes those are some lucky birds.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
What a well designed flight pen and beautiful setup! You mentioned Douglas firs and damp climate - are you also up here in the Pacific Northwest?

...cables used to strengthen the edges, alleviating the need for excessive roof supports and interior posts, keeping the space open and airy...
Any chance of a photo showing how you used the cables? Keeping the space open and airy while still secure can be a difficult design, so seeing your solution would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wholly molly!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fly pen

Thank you all for the positive comments on the fly pen. I hope to answer all your questions.

The property is located in the Northern California Sierra Nevada Foothills about an hour north of Grass Valley and Nevada City. It is located a mile and a half off the road and deep in the forest.

There are lots of critters roaming the property. Some are great to have around like turkeys, squirrels, ducks, deer and many birds. Also, have on occasion, Mountain Lions, foxes, skunks and bears. The large doors on the Birdbarn are closed at night and the birds are secured. If an animal breaks into the fly pen, a sensor sounds a loud alarm and the radio at full blast comes on. Motion lights surround the birdbarn because up here at night it is really dark.

I will take some pictures of the wiring/cable that helps keeps the fly pen tight.

The birds are really enjoying their new extension. Salts baths are available daily and they get plenty of direct sunlight. I enjoy sitting in my comfy chair and watching them having a great time. Some are disabled ferals that had a hard life before they were rescued.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank you all for the positive comments on the fly pen. I hope to answer all your questions.

The property is located in the Northern California Sierra Nevada Foothills about an hour north of Grass Valley and Nevada City. It is located a mile and a half off the road and deep in the forest.

There are lots of critters roaming the property. Some are great to have around like turkeys, squirrels, ducks, deer and many birds. Also, have on occasion, Mountain Lions, foxes, skunks and bears. The large doors on the Birdbarn are closed at night and the birds are secured. If an animal breaks into the fly pen, a sensor sounds a loud alarm and the radio at full blast comes on. Motion lights surround the birdbarn because up here at night it is really dark.

I will take some pictures of the wiring/cable that helps keeps the fly pen tight.

The birds are really enjoying their new extension. Salts baths are available daily and they get plenty of direct sunlight. I enjoy sitting in my comfy chair and watching them having a great time. Some are disabled ferals that had a hard life before they were rescued.
you win the "best place for a pigeon to live" award! it makes me so happy seeing such a perfect place for them. I just love it and wish I could do the same here. ummm perhaps one day...I'll store the pic of it in my pics.;):) I would like to will my birds to you if something ever happens to me....lol...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Absolutely amazing!!!!! What a beautiful paradise. If you ever decide you want some more disabled ferals or other similar needy pijies, let me know, I know any of my pigeons would be honored to call your deluxe super aviary "home"! We look forward to more pictures and stories. :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. That is one beautiful place for a pigeon to live.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
That is very lovely, Birdbarn! You've done a super job of providing a pigeon palace! I am curious, though, how big the openings are in the exterior mesh/wire. They appear to be fairly large, and if they are, you may end up with all kinds of unwanted critters in the pigeon palace not to mention a hawk or other predator trying to grab through the openings. I'm not criticizing at all .. just trying to make sure you don't have a heartbreak in the making.

Terry

·
Registered
935 Posts
It is beautiful!

I had the same concern as Terry... The opens (spacing between the wire) looks rather big. I think a kid could get their hand through it....

You don't want in critters reaching their hands in and getting lucky! ;)

It is amazing, thank you so very much for showing it!
I wish others (including myself) could offer that to their own birds.

-Hilly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fly pen

Hi Terry,

Thanks again for your response and feedback.

We too were concerned about the openings. We wanted to keep out unwanted critters, as well as allow snow to easily pass through. The openings are approximately 1.5" x 2". We have yet to see any small birds in the fly pen. Also, have two dogs on the property to help keep away unwanted critters

We'll monitor and let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to say your setup is wonderful. I am definately jealous! I would like to see pics of the loft if ya don't mind. Always nice to see how others have theirs set up.

G

·
Birdbarn that truely is a work of art ,I think many of us only wish we could have that much room for our birds .. if I won the megamillions jackpot you can bet I would follow in your foot steps there ;):p good on you for caring and sharing :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you for your help Birdbarn, and the palace for your babies are amazing!!! now I know why you moved!!!! nice been talking to you, is nice to meet people like you. :)

Ivette

1 - 20 of 47 Posts