Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
ok. that's the coolest thing ever.

:)

all of my birds are tame, but i only have one bird i can fly like that, my rescued feral Brooklyn.
how do you train them all so well?

i'd love to know so i could start letting my other birds out.
i have one frill hen who will fly from the loft straight into my house, but the rest i am too scared to let out! so i take them in the house for exercise.

did you hand raise them all?

wow. so neat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok. that's the coolest thing ever.

:)

all of my birds are tame, but i only have one bird i can fly like that, my rescued feral Brooklyn.
how do you train them all so well?

i'd love to know so i could start letting my other birds out.
i have one frill hen who will fly from the loft straight into my house, but the rest i am too scared to let out! so i take them in the house for exercise.

did you hand raise them all?

wow. so neat.
I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no point in asking him how to teach your birds how to do that. He's not interested in teaching other people how to do it. All he cares about is that everyone aww's him and asks for advice on how to do it, so dont waste your breath.

If you want to learn how to train your birds how to fly back to you do a google search on mobile loft training rollers. You'll find alot more info there then you will get out of this guy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pet pigeon

Well, I am not sure why one person in this forum is getting upset and saying that I am not interested in teaching others. In fact, I have or at least give me a chance to. I am very busy with 3 little kids, a wife and my pets. I don't really have much time to sit at a computer and reply to all questions. I understand that some of you may be very anxious to train your birds but it does take a lot of time and passion.

Good questions....It is always better to hand raise your bird or birds. As I said to one of the members the other day, hand feed a couple and choose the one that is most responsive to your call. Keep in mind to choose a breed that will fly. If you tame a Frill, more than likely it will only fly short distance because it is a heavier bird and does not fly as well to begin with compared to rollers or other performing breed. Then, as I mentioned before to others...use a distinctive sound or whistle everytime you are around your bird.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes you did let me know all that info, and thanks. I don't think it is a pet trick like some including me was thinking, and wanted step by step directions on how to do it. he has a special relationship with his bird/s that takes alot of time and effort. most of ours are in lofts and not handled like his are....very special indeed.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You did a fine job with that bird. The bond and trust it has for you is just amazing! It would be great to one day have a bird that I can do that with but I just can't afford to pay a single bird that much attention right now....the others might get mad at me...lol.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no point in asking him how to teach your birds how to do that. He's not interested in teaching other people how to do it. All he cares about is that everyone aww's him and asks for advice on how to do it, so dont waste your breath.

If you want to learn how to train your birds how to fly back to you do a google search on mobile loft training rollers. You'll find alot more info there then you will get out of this guy.
BrewMeister,

I really don't understand the need for such a judgemental/negative post, and I must say it was totally uncalled for.

Petrollers, I appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful pet bird, Crow and his antics, it shows a lot of time and dedication and consistent training on your part. Please do share with us again when you have more time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Petrollers,

Welcome to the forum. We are actually nice people. Most of us really don't share theBrewMeister view. I enjoyed the videos. Those birds trust you so you must be a nice guy. Share any knowledge that you like. No hurry.

theBrewMeister ,

Have you meet this guy before? It sounds like you have history with him.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lightning my beloved roller pigeon used to do that for me, but would never actually come to my arm or hand. Me and my dad would be working in the barn on the coop and he'd just fly right next to us and acasionally fly to are heads. I loved it but my dad wasn't to thrilled because he would always scratch his bald spot with his claws. lol With my next batch of babies I going to try treats. And I'm going to try to REALLY spend alot of time with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have only met BrewMeister for the first time a few days ago on this forum. I understand he is a little anxious to get started like many others. He did not really give me a chance to reply to his last email and already made negative comments.
Patience is important in training a young bird to fly like mine. Not so sure if he will have the patience. Anyway, enough said.

To get your pigeon to come to your arm - as soon as your bird starts to fly a little, you should practice putting her on your arm or shoulder and when your bird flies to you, hold out your arm or hand. Soon, your bird should be comfortable landing on your arm. Otherwise, it will land on your head for right next to you. It is very important to keep up the bond with your bird so that you are able to hold or catch her when she lands on your arm or next to you. Naturally, if you spend less time with your bird, she will become flighty and uncomfortable with being held.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You had enough time to respond to me and others with links to more videos and vague comments. Everytime we asked you for some guidance -no more than to point us in the right direction - all we got were messages back about how you've put up more videos. I've asked you several times to give advice, not only here but on youtube as well. If you dont care to teach people just say that it's proprietary and you dont want to distribute the info. I know my post sounded harsh and I apoligize for that but question dodging responses tend to make most people a little irritated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have pretty much given you all that you really should know. Flying rollers with a portable loft is a little different. You can train an older bird or adult bird to come to you and use food to lure them into their little cage. That is really easy to do if that is how you wish to fly your bird. I mean, I raise all my birds that you saw and will see by hand. If you start with 2 to 3 week old squeekers and spend time with them or one, the result will be amazing. There is really no secrets or tricks to flying a pigeon like mine. For example, if you hand raise a baby parrot by hand, she will fly to you and only know you as the parents. Same with a baby pigeon. I recommend you raising a roller or a figurita because they are small, quick, and takes up less space.

I have time to post videos because I fly my birds almost every single day during the summer days. My kids love the parks and play ground and I am killing two birds with one stone by flying my hobby with the kids.

I already gave you the key points:

* Hand raise your bird(s)
* Use a distinctive sound that only you and your bird know
* Spend time with your bird

Soon, it will do it's naturally thing - Fl and come to you.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, I think you're videos are fabulous. Don't know what "brews" problem is. :confused:
How many pigeons do you have? I can see that if the time is taken, that it would be easy to train a bird like yours, but wonder if it would still work when there's another 50 out flying that AREN'T trained...........LOL

·
Registered
287 Posts
Brewmeister,

Chill out man. We are talking about a hobby and pigeons for cheezus sake! This whole thing that we do is for relaxation and fun and for some of us a little pocket change. No need to get all hostile like Mcguyver having only 30 seconds left to disarm a bomb with nothing but a rubber band and an old hotdog.

Nobody OWES you anything. Your sense of entitlement to an answer or instruction from Petroller is a rediculous notion.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
You had enough time to respond to me and others with links to more videos and vague comments. Everytime we asked you for some guidance -no more than to point us in the right direction - all we got were messages back about how you've put up more videos. I've asked you several times to give advice, not only here but on youtube as well. If you dont care to teach people just say that it's proprietary and you dont want to distribute the info. I know my post sounded harsh and I apoligize for that but question dodging responses tend to make most people a little irritated.

most?????

"sounded harsh" is putting it gently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Lovebird,

I have lots of tame birds but they are this years hatched. I used to have rollers but they were all sold during the winter. Here is a clip of my young 08 rollers I flew last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvxfUwyIxg

I made a mistake selling those three bird rollers and some of my tame homers. I didn't really give them a chance to perform. Those birds were too young and Crow is the only one I kept for myself.

Currently, I have Red Ganzel, white Buddapist, Portuguese Tumblers, Arch Angels, Pheasant Pigeon, Figuritas, Homers, and still looking for some young rollers. It has been a little difficult to purchase young ones this year.
Here are some videos of my birds that I am training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomGtoM1xVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoiY7tiEqiQ

I have breeders that aren't tame and I fly them together at times at home. They'll usually fly together but the tame ones will come down when I whistle. All my birds are all kept in a big coop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
most?????

"sounded harsh" is putting it gently.
Ok, are we trying to drag this out? Because as I recall I apoligized as you can see. So, I'm going to go ahead and drop it now, care to join?

As for Petrollers, your birds are amazing to watch. Forgive my rash behavior but as I previously mentioned, I had asked you on youtube and here for some advice and it seemed as if you were dodging the questions. I understand that youre a busy person, I respect that, it just seemed as if you were ignoring everyone. Thank you now for taking time to give everyone your input. Again, I apoligize. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
WOW petrollers your birds rock!! I hope someday I can train my bird's babies to do that!
You are a great trainer! I loved the videos! Keep it up!!-Columba livia!

·
Registered
265 Posts
WOW petrollers your birds rock!! I hope someday I can train my bird's babies to do that!
You are a great trainer! I loved the videos! Keep it up!!-Columba livia!
Yea, what Columba livia said! :) Congratulations on developing such fine skill, and thanks for sharing the videos! Maybe one day....:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts