Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,
I'm here again for another sick baby. A 3 months old lil pijjy of mine. He was normal till day before yesterday. Yesterday in the evening I saw him sitting alone and not interested in flying and eating. He is only drinking and having foamy loose yellowish green stools today. Sleeping today in the daylight. Reluctant to have food. What would I do? Other pigeons of my lofts are adopted because I have joined a job that involves touring. Only 3 babies left(abandoned by their parents after adoption)... What should I do or give him. I put Apple Cider vinegar in water today. What else. Please help!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've read that foamy droppings can be a sign of yeast infection. Look with a flashlight deep down his throat. Yeast show up as white dots. He might have canker as well, you can check for that too. Nystatin works best for yeast.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
He will need 30 000 units Nystatin per 100 gr birdweight twice daily. Give on an empty crop, wait 1 hour and then feed him. Nystatin works best on an empty crop, needs to coat the yeast. If there's no improvement, start treating him for canker. 40 mg metronidazole once daily.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no sign of Canker or White thrush inside his mouth. I fed him ACV water, probiotics and electrolyte. Hand fed him frozen peas. He's hungry but don't want to eat by himself,when I was feeding peas he aggressively eaten everything. Yes one thing I noticed there's a feeble cracking noise coming from his mouth. A noise, when I was holding him, but it's not like respiratory noise, not coming with breathing but like from inside. Poop was yellowish liquid the whole day now after feeding let's see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marina I have started giving him Metro. Today was the first day. In the evening he showed improvement like eating all by himself and poops became quite solid but he's not in the mood of flying instead wants to sit in my lap. In India we have two products call "Improver" and "anti fungal" both in powder form. Which one should I order? I'm sending you pictures...

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Order both! Add both to the drinking water. The improver looks like a probiotic that needs to be used to restore the good gut bacteria. The anti-fungal will help with a yeast infection. I'm sure you will need this again in the future. Even after he has recovered, adding those products to the drinking water on a regular basis will keep your pigeons healthy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have ordered Improver and anti fungal and administrating metro 40mg a day after food he looks better than yesterday though still week I have isolated him from other 2 babies. But still I will give them Improver and anti fungal. Is it okay Marina?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Yes, that's fine. Keep him on the metro for 7-10 days, don't stop even if he starts looking better. Then after antibiotic treatment give him the probiotics for a couple of days. Thereafter you can add to his drinking water 2 times a week. You can give this to all your pigeons and will help to keep them healthy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have 3 pigeons in my house right now... The first one I told you is under medication. I isolated him from other two. Yesterday night I saw the 2nd one has thrown up some food at night. Vomited stool not solid as it should be. But doesn't look sick but I know there's some problem though he has eaten and drank normally. The third one unwilling to go outside her cage, sitting idle slightly loose stool little faeces white part is more. Showing no interest in food and water. Though I'm giving them Probiotics and Acv. They are all hard molting almost going bald. Now today my caretaker told me loads of pigeon falling in the ground while flying in my area. Their stools are watery they are dying instantly. Nobody cares. What is the problem? Now, I give food to outside pigeons in my terrace my pigeons also go there and mix with friends. Should I stop feeding the outside one in my terrace? Is this the cause my pigeons are falling ill one after another?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Yes, that may be the problem. Sharing the same food and water source. It will be hard on the pigeons outside if you stop feeding them. Start feeding the outside pigeons less every day, so that they rather go elsewhere for food. Otherwise, wait till they have finished their food and then let yours out (after feeding yours inside), so no food and water gets shared.

In the meantime, treat all 3 of your pigeons. Keep them healthy so that they build up immunity against diseases.

You can help the outside pigeons by adding those products to their drinking water as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marina this is the 5th day of his medicine and he is doing good. Want to get outside but I won't allow before 10th day. His poop is quite okay now. Once or twice a day I see liquids. The faeces part and white part are quite good, the crackling noise coming from his mouth have vanished. Poops are odourless. But the rest two pigeon's poop has a vinegar-ish smell, though not liquid, but they use to be odourless.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts