Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should we feed snowball now that the cold weather is here? We have been feeding him wildbird seed and he loves that, I add a few black oil sunflower seeds to it as well but is there anythign else he should have??

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
It depends on how far north you are, the colder it gets the more fat they need. If you add oil add corn or safflower do not add conolla oil. Some will say its good Cornell U did a study and they say its pioson.
Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.. It was so funny to see him show up this morning looking atthe window and then come to the backdoor.. He had a warm drink of water and then followed me to the garage door and waited for his seed.. I am going to see if I can pickup some pigeon mix or something to mix in with the wild bird seed he has been eating.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Mine get whole corn starting in late October to fatten up for the winter. I put it in a separate dish and many of them go for that first even though their pigeon mix has about ten different seeds in it. Also provide a red grit for him to help digest if you're not already. :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They usually love unpopped popcorn.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a bit of an update. I went to Petsmart and happened to ask the right person for help regarding food. The girl I talked to kas pigeons and she told me exactly what food to give him. I told her he likes mixed bird seed but I have since replaced that with pigeon and dove mix and supplemented what looks like corn pieces into his food. I was told I am offering too much food but the windowsill he sits on all day is not big enough for a shallower bowl. He appears to be doing ok thorugh the winter and we make sure he has warm water to drink often.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How can you offer too much food?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Feed good barley mixed with a quality pigeon mix. You don't want much fat on them it's not good for them. Your pigeons should be hungry (not starving) when you visit them daily. I may even skip a morning meal now and then this time of year and it does them no harm. Either way they get an ounce a day per bird

G

·
Feed good barley mixed with a quality pigeon mix. You don't want much fat on them it's not good for them. Your pigeons should be hungry (not starving) when you visit them daily. I may even skip a morning meal now and then this time of year and it does them no harm. Either way they get an ounce a day per bird
I definiately have to disagree with you on this , for one barley will not get your birds thru the winter months and you shouldnt skip any meals at this time of year either cuz it will surely hurt your birds and weaken them during the bitter cold of winter... this is the time for them to have some fat to carry them thru who are you kidding :confused:unless your loft is heated this is terrible advice!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Really... Barley not a good winter feed? Thats the first I've heard of that. Barley is an excellant feed! Do you spend much time in your loft in the winter?

G

·
Really... Barley not a good winter feed? Thats the first I've heard of that. Barley is an excellant feed! Do you spend much time in your loft in the winter?
I was going to ask you the same question:confused:I am in my loft at least two times daily and feed them twice daily too ,this time of year they are alway egar for extra and I definiately give it to them to help them stay warm thru the 20 degree nights here ..starving them slightly or at all isnt going to help them in that department corn is the winter staple not barley .

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have to agree that this is not the time of year to skip meals. And I would think a little fat on them for this time of year would be beneficial to their keeping warm. Their feed should probably be upped, if anything for the colder months.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A little extra corn is good for the winter months.

G

·
They get corn in the pigeon mix... Did you not read my post?
my problem wasnt with the barley it was with the advice of skipping meals :confused:plus I do agree extra corn is a must in colder areas , barley to me is more an energy food used for flying not fattening them up ..just my 2 cents on winter feedings .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts