Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get my pigeon to eat food by herself, she does eat, but not alot. For awile I noticed that she seems to pick out all the safflower seeds before nibbleing on the other types, millet, and sunflower oil. So just to see what she would do, i went to PetCo and picked up a bag of safflower seed. I put some into a cup and held it out for her. She went completly ballistic lol. Jumped on me and sucked down the seeds, well now i know what she likes!

But, Is safflower good for a diet? As I dont know if she would eat any of the other seed now.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I've been trying to get my pigeon to eat food by herself, she does eat, but not alot. For awile I noticed that she seems to pick out all the safflower seeds before nibbleing on the other types, millet, and sunflower oil. So just to see what she would do, i went to PetCo and picked up a bag of safflower seed. I put some into a cup and held it out for her. She went completly ballistic lol. Jumped on me and sucked down the seeds, well now i know what she likes!

But, Is safflower good for a diet? As I dont know if she would eat any of the other seed now.
No, Safflower is not good as the sole diet. If she can eat safflower seeds, she can eat other seeds and she will IF you make her.
Measure out a certain amount....I would start with 1 ounce. Put it in a dish and insist that she eat it before she gets any more. When she gets hungry, she will eat whatever is there.
I don't believe in being so very strict with pet pigeons, but you also can't allow them to just eat what they like all the time. If you give a child a choice between green beans and chocolate cake, guess what they'll choose every time?
How old is this bird?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
How about getting those dove mix? They have smaller seeds there as well. I think Petsmart carry those. Safflowers are fattening, but probably taste good so birds go crazy with it. In fact study shows that wild birds prefer sunflower seed on those outside feed tray.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shes about 40-45 days old i think, and i do have some dove mix, but before i got her the safflower seed, she was really starving herself, only eating tiny amounts and she lost a bit of weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts