Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JW but is it possible for a homer to grow little feathers on their feet?? weather getting cold so grow feet feathers?? im kinda thinking mabe its not 100% homer, but when i bought him he was normal.... anyone other than me had this happen before???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
foot feathering can pop up here and there in homers so it is not unusual. they have the feathers all year long. or this bird could have something else in it...can you post a pic?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It is very possible. Sometimes grouse and slipper legs, and zipper frills can pop up in homers as a recessive gene. Some families of homers have more feathering in the leg, but not quite as much as some of the booted racers. I, as well as some others I've talked to, have had birds who were born with a small tuft on the breast that never moulted out straight, and looks like the zipper frill on Satinettes.
But yes, if it is mixed, that can explain it as well. But it can be normal and is fairly common in homers to have a bit more feathers than normal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I myself have bred out some homers with frills but notice that the birds lineage were very similar on both sides and even on the cross it carries a little. It might be an inbred thing. As for boots, might be similar. I do know that some schofield lines are known to have some boots on the leg all the way down to the feet.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have some racers with feathers on there legs. So I think it is normal. That bird just got the deluxe flight suit. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts