Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of Java doves (male and female) a week ago from a feed store.

I've noticed since then the male (perching) in the top photo has a foot growth/bump. Any idea what it might be (I have made an appointment with a vet but would like you guys' opinion)?
Vertebrate Pet supply Mesh Mammal Line
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Leg Bird Human body Neck
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Joint Skin Arm Dress Gesture

Registered
I got a pair of Java doves (male and female) a week ago from a feed store.

I've noticed since then the male (perching) in the top photo has a foot growth/bump. Any idea what it might be (I have made an appointment with a vet but would like you guys' opinion)?
View attachment 104353 View attachment 104354 View attachment 104355
I've seen these in the past and they can be remnant of bumblefoot. The infection that forms a cyst on the leg gets sorted out but the necrotic tissue turns black and is half out half in the foot. Vet must take a look. By soaking and ointments it can be removed in time and carefully. I would not advise you to try anything by yourself as these can bleed a lot and vet must do it in a safe environment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen these in the past and they can be remnant of bumblefoot. The infection that forms a cyst on the leg gets sorted out but the necrotic tissue turns black and is half out half in the foot. Vet must take a look. By soaking and ointments it can be removed in time and carefully. I would not advise you to try anything by yourself as these can bleed a lot and vet must do it in a safe environment.
Thank you! I've looked up bumblefoot and it looks like what he has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts