Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Brad requested I put all my questions in one place at one time I'm posting them all here.

What proximaty do pigeons have to be to one another to catch things from one another?

How close to the floor should a nesting box be?

Can you transfer illness to your pigeons after being at someone elses loft?

I have 3 pigeons nesting together. All 4 eggs are fert. and all three use the box. Is this okay?

Do you split up babies so they don't mate with one another?

Is grass alright for pigeons too eat. I grab a hand full and thow it in and they love it.

Does anyone have the automatic nesting box cleaners? Are they worth it?

Do you wash your loft out with water?

Anyone have exaust fans for there lofts?

Do you wear a mask when cleaning your loft?

So you provide sand for your birds to take dust baths?

For you racers. How does the race work? If everyone lives a little different distance do you just report times then they figure the speed of the bird and how fast it went X amount of miles?

Thanks for your time sorry if some of you don't feel this is the correct place or way to ask these.

Brad please don't miss any........:cool:

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Since Brad requested I put all my questions in one place at one time I'm posting them all here.

What proximaty do pigeons have to be to one another to catch things from one another?

I have 3 pigeons nesting together. All 4 eggs are fert. and all three use the box. Is this okay?

Is grass alright for pigeons too eat. I grab a hand full and thow it in and they love it.

For you racers. How does the race work? If everyone lives a little different distance do you just report times then they figure the speed of the bird and how fast it went X amount of miles?

Thanks for your time sorry if some of you don't feel this is the correct place or way to ask these.

Brad please don't miss any........:cool:
Thank you for doing us all a favour and I will try to answer all those questions for you.

1) proximity varies and depending upon different circumstances. If you are introducing a new bird to an "established" bird or birds, then you can never get far enough away. There are several airborne illnesses and viruses that can be transmitted through the air and within a small, confined space.

2) Nesting boxes should be geared to whatever breed of pigeon you have. If you have flying or flighted pigeons, higher up. Utility breeds should have much lower to the ground nesting boxes or birds that can't fly very well.

3) As your questions continue, I can see how "desperate" they are becoming, trying to pull our collective tail feathers so to speak. Your following questions are silly, bizarre and totally without merit.

So, anyone else who feels this person is worth responding to, be my guest, lol. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Shrek,
I was once told by an long time breeder that if you stop asking questions you stop learning.:) And as far as I know theres not one person on this wonderful planet we call home that knows everything.:)
In fact I'd like to know some of those answers too.:D :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
egypswiftlady Thank you for your responce. The only pets I have ever had were rabbits, dogs, and cats. The pigeons are totally foreign to me so I have 5 million questions. I'm learning a ton and its really fun actually. When I first got pigeons I thought oh cool a bird. Then I started learning how they were used and how smart they were and such. Then it got even more interesting. Like how they used pigeons to locate people in the ocean. That was crazy!

Anyways these are all questions I have been looking for answers for. Glad your interested too and I don't think we will ever know it all. That is why we have a cool forum!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was always taught that a question always deserves an answer no matter how bazar or without merit it is. It is only common courtesy to answer a persons questions if he does not know the answer or he wouldn't have asked it. The only way to learn is to ASK QUESTIONS!!!
George

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
these are all questions I have been looking for answers for
And future members and guests will also be looking for answers to specific questions included in your list, so although it may be more convenient for current members to have all the questions concentrated in one thread it may not be as convenient for those who are searching the archives for specific information. THe thread title will not give any clues to its content and once they find the thread they will have to do a lot of scrolling to find the specific information that they are looking for.

Much as I would love to have the time to answer a number of questions in one go I have to limit myself to answering the one about masks:

You should always wear a mask and a hood, or cap when you are cleaning the loft, This is because exposure to pigeon protein can lead to sensitisation and eventually to pigeon lung disease in vulnerable individuals. The accumulation of dust etc in your hair or on your clothes could expose your partner to pigeon protein and they could develop sensitisation.

Only a minority of people develop sensitisation, but it is worth taking precautions now as once you are sensitised you cannot become desensitised.

Cynthia

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Thank you for doing us all a favour and I will try to answer all those questions for you.

3) As your questions continue, I can see how "desperate" they are becoming, trying to pull our collective tail feathers so to speak. Your following questions are silly, bizarre and totally without merit.

So, anyone else who feels this person is worth responding to, be my guest, lol. :)
If you choose not to answer (or can't answer) some of the questions, fine - but please do not belittle someone who is simply enthusiastic and has taken the trouble to put their questions together as, It seems, you requested.

John

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the information. I do want to get the Encyclopedia of pigeons but I just haven't come up with the extra money yet. My extra seems to go to fixing the loft up better and making a better place for the pigeons. But I promise one of these days I will have it. :D

Man I got reading about all the illnesses that pigeons can give you and carry and man its scary.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
If you choose not to answer (or can't answer) some of the questions, fine - but please do not belittle someone who is simply enthusiastic and has taken the trouble to put their questions together as, It seems, you requested.

John
Hi John,

I'm sure you know by now that I'm not a stupid person. I haven't been around for as long as I have been and without knowing a thing or two about the world, life and human ways.

I'm an established pigeon "caretaker" as you know and I also know that YOU know what I'm doing & suggesting. I give everyone the benefit of doubt and within reason and I'm sure most will back me up on that.. I'm confident that you are aware that I'm quite capable of answering many diverse questions about pigeons and their care.

Yes, I ASKED for this person to post all of their questions together to save us all some trouble and for ease of responding. I was quite friendly in responsding to their first post/question, but then I got a sense of something not quite right. You can disagree with me if you want, that's your prerogative and as a moderator, I'm just speaking my mind, it's still a free world in the USA, CANADA, UK and the rest of the western world.

In all the years that I've "known" you, you and I will never see eye to eye. so pardon me for living.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Some of your questions I have a view on, some I just know not.

Most illnesses they can pass on seem to be mainly through sharing water and food, or through beak to beak contact (fighting, or feeding young or 'billing'.) They can pass things on through droplets of saliva or other discharge. Some viruses appear to be able to travel in the air, and could be breathed in by another bird. So it isn't just how close together they may be. If you suspect a sick bird - isolate it.

It is possible for, say, a virus to be carried on footwear or clothing or hands if not washed. Don't know how likely it is, though.

Don't see there's much you can do about it if you want all the eggs to hatch, unless you can foster two of them on another pair (?)

Never seen them eat grass, though they like grass seed. Maybe they just yearn for some green stuff. Best giving them curly kale, a round lettuce, finely chopped carrot (OK, I know it ain't green) - something like that.

We don't have a loft as such, but we have a paved aviary which gets scrubbed down (hot water and thin plain bleach). The sheltered areas have woodchips on the floor, so have to be cleared and replaced periodically.

Pigeons like real baths. They msy like sand just to lie in to sunbathe, but i always think it may be too gritty. But that's just me. Sparrows like dust baths.

John

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks John. I read somewhere provide clean sand for them to dust in and twice a week allow them to take a bath. But I only seen this one place. Which hints the reason behind me asking.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Well, I think the one about wearing a mask when cleaning is certainly worthy of answering (as are some of the others). I wish I had asked that question when I first began rescuing pigeons 6 years ago. I might not be in the medical prediciment I'm in right now, or at least not as bad. :(

* Do you split up babies so they don't mate with one another?

** Do you wear a mask when cleaning your loft?
* If you're referring to brothers & sisters, I've heard it's not advisable to allow them to mate. Fathers & daughters or Mothers & sons are OK, but not brothers & sisters.

** YES, I do. And I believe there are a few other members who do.
I've been battling a respiratory illness off & on for the past two years. Sadly, we're narrowing it down to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, & I've never smoked. I'm sure the 5 years of NOT wearing a mask ( I started wearing one a year ago) when cleaning my aviary has contributed to this illness. :(

I would strongly recommend that everyone wear a mask when cleaning their lofts, aviaries, etc. I'm sure there are other who would agree.

Cindy

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

I think this is pretty much the farther, the better. I have two aviaries that are about twenty-five feet from each other and last year there was an illness in one of the aviaries but none of the other birds got sick. I am careful not to wear the same shoes in them or use the same dishes or anything. I'm not sure what the actual distance should be, but like I said, the farther the better probably. If you have one that you suspect is ill, always isolate it as far away as possible from the other birds, preferably indoors and on heat of some sort.

Different people use different ones. Most of mine seem to like nesting on the floor best,:rolleyes: but I don't have a "normal" loft with nest boxes.

Yes, sometimes, or after being at a feed store with other birds. An easy way to avoid this is washing your hands with antibacterial soap before you enter and leave your loft, and simply keep a shallow tray of water/bleach mixture next to your loft. Just step in it before going on. Or, keep an old pair of "loft shoes" or garden shoes so you can step into those before entering.

If you can foster the eggs out to any laying on fake eggs, that would be best probably.

If there are other pigeons available, they likely won't mate with each other. I've only had it happen a few times over the years and replace their eggs with dummy eggs. I don't want babies, though, and don't show or race or anything.

My pigeons love to use freshly cut grass as nesting material, though I haven't seen them eat it. Of course make sure it is free from pesticides and stuff. They really like romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, and a few of them will eat apple bits.

Never heard of them.

I use shavings and scrape everything a couple times a week. I think water would be ideal though.

No, but if it were covered securely, seems like it would be a good idea.

I usually just tie a bandana around my face, so I look like a train robber. A mask is the best idea, though.

Pigeons LOVE to bathe in water. That's how so many city birds get covered in oil over time; bathing in the oily water in the Bay (at least here near San Francisco, that is). I give mine a bath dish every day. A cat litter box, large roasting pan, small tubs from the dollar store, etc. work great. Keep in mind that it helps to have a "step up" item in the tub in a corner, such as an upside-down small bowl, half a clean brick, or similar. This way they can always get out when they're ready. Other birds do prefer dust baths, birds such as chickens and many quail, but for pigeons it's water they like best. :)

Have no idea, mine are more couch potatoes than racers.

You're welcome. :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I must say I think trying to answer "too many questions" in one thread or post is just too much IMHO, It would be much better to have each question answered in it's own thread, I believe too many things get lost and buried with this type of asking questions, so put each question in it's own thread so it can be answered by those that want to help out if they can, this keeps the post on track for the question asked JMHO! :)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Thanks guys for the information. I do want to get the Encyclopedia of pigeons but I just haven't come up with the extra money yet. My extra seems to go to fixing the loft up better and making a better place for the pigeons. But I promise one of these days I will have it. :D

Man I got reading about all the illnesses that pigeons can give you and carry and man its scary.
Hi SHREK, The first thing I would point out is many of the books on pigeons are old and were written 50 to 100years ago_One must be careful when reading these older books as there are things written that at one were thought to be correct that have been proven to be wrong. By all means keep reading and asking questions.Now on picking up sickness from pigeons,I would say that your chance of picking up a sickness are greater from a human then a pigeon think about this . You meet a person for the first time and you shake his or her hand (DO YOU KNOW WHERE THAT HAND WAS 5 MINUTES BEFORE YOU HELD IT) anyway keep asking questions someone will try to answer them for you. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I wear a mask when cleaning my loft and cages.
http://www.gotpollution.com/technomask.html

I wear one of these.
I have 2 compilation ebooks on pigeons and doves if you would like to read it, it is VERY comprehensive and answers many questions.

PM me and send me your email address, I will send you the books for free.

I will be working on book 3 soon.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

I wear one of these.
I have 2 compilation ebooks on pigeons and doves if you would like to read it, it is VERY comprehensive and answers many questions.

What is the cost of your books?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I wear one of these.

I have them thank you. I'm still reading and High lighting!:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts