Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to have Pair B be a foster-pair for Pair A. They both laid first eggs within 24-hours of each other. I don't guess it matters when I put the Pair A eggs under the foster Pair B (as long as I put a dummy set in the mix soon).

But my question is, how long should I let Pair A set before removing eggs? While I want to speed up their production, I don't want to rush things to their detriment, either.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I plan to have Pair B be a foster-pair for Pair A. They both laid first eggs within 24-hours of each other. I don't guess it matters when I put the Pair A eggs under the foster Pair B (as long as I put a dummy set in the mix soon).

But my question is, how long should I let Pair A set before removing eggs? While I want to speed up their production, I don't want to rush things to their detriment, either.
IMHO, the normal amount of time to sit on a pair of eggs is 20 days.....give a day or two...so work things around that....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I like to wait until I can candle the eggs to make sure they are fertile. This only takes 4-6 days and will make sure you are not throwing away 2 good ones and putting 2 bad ones there costing you 4 eggs. Plus this might make a little easier on the hen and she won't have to produce 2 more eggs right after she just laid 2. But to answer your question you can switch them anytime.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I like to wait until I can candle the eggs to make sure they are fertile. This only takes 4-6 days and will make sure you are not throwing away 2 good ones and putting 2 bad ones there costing you 4 eggs. Plus this might make a little easier on the hen and she won't have to produce 2 more eggs right after she just laid 2. But to answer your question you can switch them anytime.
Very wise answer, you would be smart to follow this advice and save yourself grief. This is exactly how we do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts