Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm fostering a pigeon who was rescued and brought to me. I then brought him to a very very good bird facility. This poor guy had multiple compound fractures to one wing and a large gash in the wing as well. Surgery was performed and pins were installed in the hopes that this wing may fully recover and he might be able to be released. This is all in the iffy stages now.

He was at the facility for several weeks and then I took him home to foster him. After one week of cage rest, I let him out (with permission) -- he was so happy to be out of the cage, but this did not last. He has grown sad and stopped eating his seeds, had very few poops which were dark green and just sits by the window all day while some local pigeons visit.

The facility treating him told me to hand feed him soaked pieces of puppy chow. 12 pieces (broken in half) 3X/day -- does this sound like enough? I tried to check his crop, but it always feels empty. I'm a rank beginner so not sure I've got the right place, but pretty sure.

The facility told me that due to the severity of his injuries, he should not be pushed to fly. He seems very sad and just sits by the same window all day. Am I worrying for nothing as he is being seen by an excellent facility. He is very afraid of people (which is good as he is a mature bird and this is their best defense on the outside).

I wonder if he will go back to eating seeds at some point.

Anyone have any experience remotely like this. He sits by the window all day and I know he is missing his family and being outside. I may try some Ignatia for him as someone said it can help with their sadness.

I'm just concerned with his overall state, sadness, lack of flying. I'm probably looking for too much too soon, but I care.

Thanks,

deebeee

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi deebeee and welcome! Bless you for taking on this pigeon and the folks that provided such a lot of medical care.

Sadly, some adults just do NOT take well to being in captivity and to the ministrations of the caretaker.

However, I suspect that there is something else going on aside from being scared and depressed. If the bird was eating in captivity and now is not, I would think that some additional problem has presented itself.

I don't think 12 pieces of puppy chow 3 times per day is quite enough for an adult bird though it is a decent amount of food. How much resistance does this bird give you when force feeding the puppy chow? If it's a lot, you are fighting a losing battle here, and I would suggest getting a crop needle and syringe feed with that. With a large syringe, you can get an entire feeding in at one time rather then tediously inserting a morsel of puppy chow at a time .. greatly reduces the stress on you and the bird.

If you can post some pictures of the bird as well as pictures of the poop, that would be extremely helpful.

I can't comment on the use of Ignatia as I have no knowledge of homeopathic remedies .. hopefully one of our homeopathic savvy members will reply on this.

Where are you and the bird located? If we have a member nearby, that person may be able to offer some hands on advice/assistance.

Terry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lexie Doing GREAT!

Terry thank you so much for being there for me when I was unravelling last nite. I think it all became too much for poor Lexie -- the hideous compound fractured wing, the vet's, release in a carrier to me (she had to have cage rest for a week), then out in my apt. All too stressful I think.

She is doing great today. Eating her seeds, having normal poop, very lively and active. I fear she may never recover enough use of her right wing to be released back to her flock and family, but there are excellent sanctuaries in the Berkshires, MA, especially. Just makes me sad for her as she is such a fighter.

I took some pix today of her trying to fly using the screen window (very secure as it's in a runner and clicks into place) and you can see the difference between her normal left wing and her injured right wing. She is afraid to try flying at this point, but Rita suggested I simply place her on the floor in another room and see what she does. She hopped up to another window sill and was happy looking out that screened window.

It will take her time to regain her confidence and we don't know if there is pain in that wing. I will discuss with Rita doing some mild stretching exercises on her right wing to help things along.

Lexie has "friends" that come and visit (pigeons I regularly feed on my back window sills), so at least there's that, but I feel for her not being able to be free.

I will do my very best for her and will have a stool sample tested at the Wild Bird Fund which treated her -- just to make sure nothing is going on.

Thank you so much Terry for your support and wisdom. Say a few prayers for Lexie that with her feisty spirit, she will get that right wing into flying shape.

denise

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Glad to know that things are going much better for you and Lexie. I know she is getting the best of care and am hoping for a happy outcome with that wing but also know that if the wing doesn't heal right that Lexie will be cared for regardless.

Seriously do look into using a crop needle on a syringe for feeding. It's a godsend for keeping the wild ones going.

Please keep us posted.

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.