Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two pairs of birds that have been down on eggs for about a week. One pair (my best pair) has successfully raised young last year. This will be the first hatch for the other pair of which the cock has raised young but it's the hens first try. She only laid one egg which I would consider to be small in size compared to what it should be.

I'm wondering if I should risk taking the eggs from the older pair and giving them to the first time hen and her mate, they set on the same day.

I only have 4 pairs to breed from and the other two are slow to start and I would like to have some YBs to fly sooner rather than later.

Just looking for some advice and opinions....

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd do it, chances are that first time hens egg won't even hatch a healthy baby, and you could get a second round off your better pair, but be ready to help the first time mom out because sometimes it takes them a round to figure out what's going on

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You also posted that the cock has raised young before. If he was a good father than I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would let them foster the eggs and get another round out of my best.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
NO don't do it, let the older pair raise their eggs. The risk is to strong that something can go wrong and you lose the young.I would also point out that the new hen laid only one egg and it was small, this happends with young hens many times with the first egg will not hatch. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved the eggs under the young hen and her mate, I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well and update you after the hatch.... Thank you all for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts