Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...........Found this baby thismorning. He appears to be approx 3 weeks old. Does not fly......has not developed any feathers under wings or along underside of breasts.

He was eating seed on his own and I was able to just walk up to him and pick him up. This was at approximately 8:00AM thismorning. It is now almost 9hours later and his little crop is still full of seeds. He has been poopiing but his poops are a buch of undigested seeds.

He is alert and active, however he is very foul smelling as well as the poops.

I don't know if this is crop statis or sour crop. I am at a loss as to what to do. I am waiting for the crop to completely empty before attempting to hydrate him or possibly give him some Kaytee.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Here's what I found. I really have never seen this condition. Doesn't have canker does it?

http://www.avianweb.com/slowcrop.html

Sour food in the crop caused by food remaining in the crop and fresh food being fed on top of spoiling food. To prevent this, it is necessary to make sure that the crop empties once a day. If it doesn't, add a little Applesauce or Papaya concentrate to the formula. Oftentimes this will result in the crop emptying normally. Alternatively, unflavored Pedialyte fed every two hours for the next twelve hours might help

Administer: a small amount of warm water, saline solution or Maalox / Digel or Mineral Oil (vet recommended). If the crop does not empty within a few hours, add lactobacillus and/or digestive enzyme.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baby could possibly have Canker..........he does have some missing feathers around the neck area.

I don't know if I should try the baby applesauce now as the crop is atleat still half full with seeds after 9 hours.

I do have liquid Reglan, but I am reluctant to use it without the Vet''s advice.

I haven't seen him drink any water at all. Should I try administrating 5cc's of ACV water by syringe???

I really don't know how to proceed.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Oh dear..........I don't know. I don't think it would hurt anything. It's just water after all........maybe just some plain warm water but the ACV isn't going to hurt anything. You know how to not squirt it in the mouth but along the side right? 5cc's sounds like a lot doing that way.........

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crop feels like just seeds. There were no white urates in the poop either. The crop does not seem puffy or inflated, but you can feel a very large amount of little seeds in it. Best way I can describe it........it feels almost like a beanbag, but with little seeds instead of beans.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link Renee........It made me feel that it was OK to give the baby ACV water. I just put his beak into a little dish and he took 2 very long drinks on his own. I quess all I can do now is wait and see if the crop empties. I don't want to administer any type of meds because if I bring him to the Vet in the morning I don't want to effect any fecal or other exam with any type of antibiotic.

Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
21,479 Posts
Hi Louise,

Giving fluids was good .. if the crop is still solid feeling, give some more warm fluids (a small amount) and massage the crop with your fingers to try and break up the mass in there.

If you can get the mass broken up enough and enough fluids into the bird, then things should start moving through.

Thank you for helping yet again and for doing the great job that you are in caring for the bird!

Terry

EDIT: Actually, nothing may be wrong here .. just a youngster that finally learned how to eat. Still, watch the crop, Louise, and be sure that the food is moving through.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
When one of my squeakers was first learning to eat seed, he overdid it, and the crop was like a solid ball of seed. Wasn't emptying either. I gave him applesause mixed with thinned formula, and very gently massaged the crop. You have to be careful not to push it up though, as the bird can aspirate if the contents of the crop come back up. I could feel the hard ball of seeds mix in with the applesauce and formula in the crop. And finally, it emptied. Hope it works with you, and that is all that is the problem. Good luck!

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All................The baby's crop has emptied about 90% overnight. The poops are now more normal looking........no more undigested seeds. The foul smell has dissapated as well. As soon as the crop is fully emptied I am going to start with 5cc's of baby applesauce to help balance the PH level of the crop.

I have a 3:45PM appointment today with Dr. Hauck. I suspect this baby has Canker due to the missing feathers around the neck area. I will have a fecal done and then go with what Dr Hauck recommends for treatment.

Will update later after visit to the Vet.

Thanks to all for your responses.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Hi All................The baby's crop has emptied about 90% overnight. The poops are now more normal looking........no more undigested seeds. The foul smell has dissapated as well. As soon as the crop is fully emptied I am going to start with 5cc's of baby applesauce to help balance the PH level of the crop.

I have a 3:45PM appointment today with Dr. Hauck. I suspect this baby has Canker due to the missing feathers around the neck area. I will have a fecal done and then go with what Dr Hauck recommends for treatment.

That's fabulous!!! Will wait to hear the update from the Dr.

· Registered
7,519 Posts

Appreciate the update, Louise.
Glad to hear the little one appears to be doing much better. :)

Looking forward to hearing what Dr. Hauck has to say.

Cindy

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All............Had the baby to the Vet late yesterday afternoon. Dr. Hauck agreed that he was approximately 3 weeks old and definately left the nest much too soon. He found the baby undernourished and lite, however feels he is in otherwise good shape and should be fine with the right amount of care and nourishment. His mouth and throat looked clear. Baby is very alert and active and is eating and drinking on his own.

He felt the crop issue was due to the baby overfeeding himself. He instructed me to continue to allow him to eat seeds, but to supplement with 5cc's of Kaytee 3 times a day. He said to keep the Kaytee on the watery side which will keep the seeds moving through the digestive system. I fed him last night and thismorning the crop was completely empty. So the crop issue seems to be resolved and his poops are completely normal.

I had Dr. Hauck run a fecal float and he said he did not see anything definative, but there was something that he wanted to have the lab take a look at. So the more detailed results from the lab will be in on Friday and then we will decide if and what medications or treatments would be necessary.

In the meantime this baby is a little joy...........so sweet and precious. I am so glad I found him before my neighbors cats did. I hope he continues to flourish so I will be able to release him back into his flock when the time comes.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
There is NOTHING like a baby Pigeon.:D
Thanks for the up date.:cool:
Thanks for taking such good care of the baby.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.