Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Mike,

Do you have any idea how old they are, are they very small with just a few feathers or more like young adults with yellowy feathers?

I assume you have them inside for the night, Do keep them warm for a start.

If they are well developed it could be they haven't been abandoned but the parents are feeding them on the ground. If that's the case you could keep them inside for the night but put them out in the morning near where you found them and keep an eye out to see if the parents are around. The trouble with Wood Pigeons is they are very wary of humans and if they see you near, they won't come to feed the babies. They are in danger from preditors at this stage being on the ground so it's good that you are looking out for them.

If you can give us an idea as to how old they are and we can go from there.

Janet

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thank you for helping these babies. If you haven't already done so, please read this thread, which has lots of sound advice on how to help doves or pigeons in distress: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

There is also a section of the forum on Wood Pigeons--I suggest you read that too, as their needs are somewhat different from rock pigeons. As I understand it, woodies are wilder and more easily stressed by human contact. Hopefully one of our U.K. members will be along soon to help. In the meantime, keep the youngsters warm and quiet in a place where they won't be disturbed by people or pets.

-Cathy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its been windy for the last few days so i think they have fell out of a nest as there a bit of a nest in the garden , there parents keep walking up n down r fence i have tried putting them in a box in the garden to c if parents wil come but they have not, i have just weighed them n one is 27 grams and one is 33 grams, ive given them bread n milk which they fed out of my mouth n they have had a poo cheers mike

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Mike, unfortunately they can't tolerate milk so best to just offer them water. I'm just not sure without knowing how old they are what stage they're at in their development, and therefore their feeding needs.

Are they begging/nudging your hands for food or if you scatter seeds around them, are they attempting to feed themselves?

(I'm just on a phone call, I'll be back in a minute to discuss feeding, sorry about that !!).

(Thanks Cathy for the links).

Janet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there eyes r still shut , when i first tried to feed them earlier they wouldnt feed but i tried again an hour ago n they fed , how often do they need feeding, wud weetabix with water be ok , there heads r nudging but there beaks only open slightly thanks alot
mike

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Mike,

They really need handrearing formula or chick crumbs (soaked for half an hour in hot but not boiling water, liquidised and sieved) at such a young age. Can you let us know where you are? There might be someone nearby that can help.

For the time being, once they have been warmed and rehydrated you could try giving them Ready Brek made up with warm water. This thread shows the various methods that can be used for feeding squabs. They will need feeding little and often.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9682&referrerid=560

It is best not to feed them from your own mouth as we humans can carry pasteurella in our saliva, which is harmful to birds. I think that the Gower Hospital in South Wales feeds baby woodies wholemeal bread soaked in warm water. The RSPCA told me that they rear pigeon nestlings on natural flavoured Complan.
Cynthia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks cynthia , is chick crumbs just bread crumbs , there will be no were open to get the proper food now so is bread n water r weetabix ok for the time being
cheers mike

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi Mike

Chick crumbs are a poultry rearing feed which can also be mixed for other young birds.

Best stick with the weetabix until it's possible to get some baby bird formula or possibly the Complan.

John

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
You could mix a tiny bit of hard boiled egg yoke in.

The Three Owls Sanctuary have a 24 hour helpline, I don't know whether that is a manned phone or not, but you could try it if you need to talk to someone. They might be able to take the babies, but you have to be careful as unless they have someone that can look after them through the night some Wildlife Hospitals put very young babies to sleep.

Three Owls Sanctuary

Wolstenholme Fold

Norden

Rochdale OL11 5UD

Tel: (01706) 642162

Fax: (01706) 659090

24 Hour Helpline: 07973 819389

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aww wouldnt want them to be put to sleep , i will look after them myself , would u sugesst every four hours for there feeds, just searching the internet n stuff to get all the info i need cheers cyro !

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Mike,

They are young then if their eyes aren't open yet. Glad Cynthia has posted the feeding side for now. Weetabix is ok for tonight I'm sure if you haven't got anything else.

You can also soak dog or cat biscuits down to a pulp if you have any other pet food about.

I can send you some Kaytee bird rearing formula if you are intending to rear yourself. Keep in touch and we can see what we can do to help you.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If their eyes are completely closed then they are probably less than 4 days old.

These are our Moderator Nooti's instructions on hand raising a dove or pigeon :

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Recipes/handfeedinghelp.htm

And this is a thread on how to keep them warm...they MUST be kept at the right temperature for a while.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=13601&referrerid=560

If you can check that Three Owls won't put them to sleep they would be better off there as they have the right equipment.

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Just seen you've got more advice while I've been typing. I found the easiest method of feeding that age is the syringe and ballon method. Cynthia has a video on how to do it on one of the Stickys.

It is most like their parents method of feeding and they take to it very well, and it's quicker as you have two.
I asked a vet and they gave me a large syringe to use when I told them what it was for.
Let me know if you want me to send you some baby formula tomorrow.

Janet

G

·
hiya janet , yeah could u send me some baby formula please that would be a great help how do u private msg on here !

G

·
hi janet , yeah could u send me some of the formula been to a few pet stores n they dont no what there on about how do u private msg on here cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.