Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the loft to check things out before dark late yesterday afternoon and found one of my 3-day old babies dead on the floor, and looked like it was pretty beat-up. My guess is that the parents had left the nest unattended and another bird got in there and killed the baby. Everything was fine about 2 hours before this.

I have one cock and one hen that will not pair up and I suspect that it was one of them. They both seem to be interested in the pair with the babies.

Is this something that sometimes happens and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
sounds more like they are trying to take over that nesting spot, you realy can;t stop it, thats what they do, they will fight for the best nesting spots even kill babies that are in there already. i had a pair in a box and when the baby was 2 week old another male fought off the parents and kicked the baby out.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I went into the loft to check things out before dark late yesterday afternoon and found one of my 3-day old babies dead on the floor, and looked like it was pretty beat-up. My guess is that the parents had left the nest unattended and another bird got in there and killed the baby. Everything was fine about 2 hours before this.

I have one cock and one hen that will not pair up and I suspect that it was one of them. They both seem to be interested in the pair with the babies.

Is this something that sometimes happens and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?
to prevent this do not have singles in the breeding loft..pair these up in another section or some place else, if they pair up then lock them in a nest box when the hen uses it then you can let them out again and they should be happy with that and too busy to pick on the babies of others or sucffling over a nest box, they will be thinking of their own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts