Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend found a baby pigeon and wasn't able to locate a nest, so he brought it to me. I've heard it's relatively easy to raise a squab so I'd like to do just that.
I cannot tell for sure how old it is, I'm guessing 10 days, but I'd like a second opinion. Here's a photo of it;
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo251/DarkFang133/IMG_5832.jpg

So besides wanting to know how old it is, I need some advice on the following:

Food
How often should I feed it? Whenever it squeaks? Sometimes it squeaks even when its crop is still very full and I'm not sure what to do.
Is it old enough to eat solid food like peas? I've heard that peas and corn are good to feed them once they reach a certain age.
Right now I am feeding it formula through a syringe. Being careful not to get food down it's windpipe. The formula is a ketchup-thick mixture of warm water, Gerber Whole Wheat baby cereal, and Nutri-Start. Is this suitable? And at what age should I stop giving it formula?

Water
I know the squab probably gets enough water from the formula, but I offered it a small bowl of water and it eagerly stuck its beak and part of its face in and started gulping it down. I didn't let it have too much, but should I be offering it water once in a while since it knows how to drink?

Lastly, how worried should I be about touching the squab, and then touching my other pets? I'm mostly just concerned about my two small tropical parrots who I love with all my heart. I'm so paranoid about the squab having a disease that my other birds could catch. I wash my hands every time I'm done handling it. But do I really have anything to worry about? And will there ever be a time when the squab is "fully clean" after spending so much time indoors in a clean environment?

Please get back to me soon! I would like to do everything I can to give it the best chance of survival.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
this baby looks like it is about 7 to 10 days old.

the formula that is used most times here in the US is kaytee exact hand feeding formula.( found at petsmart or petco)

only feed when the crop is empty ..even if he wants more. otherwise it could cause a slow crop which could cause problems.

the baby should be about 90 degrees on a heating pad under the box with a towel over the pad on low..don't use one that shuts off. it is important for them to be warm as they do not digest food well if not.

he certainly should not of been out of the nest...so you did good to keep him and feed.

they can be fed defrosted peas and corn at this age..but I like that fact the formula mentioned has probios and digestive enzymes for birds.. the peas and corn come in handy when time to move on to pigeon grain feeds right before weaning to the grains.

as far as "fully clean".. not sure what that means.

they do not need water as the formula supplies that..and there should not be a dish in with him in case of drowning.. they can have water when weaning and standing on their own and eating on their own.

wash you're hands before and after handling the birds.. after tending your parrots and after tending the baby and all should be fine.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for rescuing the baby. He is a little darling.
You're right about the age, he is 7-10 days old.

I see S.W just answered your questions.

Good luck with the baby and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Reti

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help. Is Kaytee Exact preferable over the Nutri-Start that I'm currently using?

And by "fully clean" I mean, will the squab ever be considered germ-free after spending enough time indoors in a clean environment?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank you for the help. Is Kaytee Exact preferable over the Nutri-Start that I'm currently using?

And by "fully clean" I mean, will the squab ever be considered germ-free after spending enough time indoors in a clean environment?
sorry I missed that.. I have not used that one.. so do not know.. but if it is for handfeeding which it is..Im sure it is fine.

as far as germ free..nothing is..lol.. but you will know if you're pigeon is healthy by fecal exams and wellness check at you're vet..and time tells the tell..if his dropping are good ..just like with the parrots..and they are acting well..then they probably are well.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
What a cutie! And thank you for caring :)
Common sense and cleanliness......and alot of hand washing, that's what I do! If you've never had a pet pigeon, your in for a 'real treat'!! I have a Mollucan Cockatoo, but my pigeons are my 'babies' :eek: Lexi (my cockatoo) swears at me.....the pigeons don't! ;)
This is how I feed babies.....works like a charm.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/i...6756.html?highlight=bottle+feeding#post615941
When they get about this age, I add small seeds to the formula.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.