Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Black pigeon....I live in Ashland Pa, USA

it won't fly. when I took it outside, and tried to get it to fly it just sat on my finger and all it did was cling there. Right now I have her resting and sleeping in a small animal bed.

Is there anyone near me that can check it out for me please? Even a Skype Video chat may help.

thank you all

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
At this point the first priority is water, and after it holds down some water you need to get some feed into it. Even if all you have is bread roll it up into a small ball and force feed it if you have to. Peas are also a good choice.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thank you for helping this pigeon. It is not in good shape from what I see in the pictures. As was mentioned hydration is important Worry about food after. I'll see if we can find you some nearby help. Please private message me your phone # to shorten the time if I am able to find someone to assist you.

Terry

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Terry is right in that right now, rehydrating him is the most important thing. He is a young pigeon, and doesn't look well at all. He may just need water right now, and later on some frozen peas, which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water, would be easy to feed him.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts