Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a ring neck dove, it seems healthy but its tail feathers are damaged can this keep the bird from flying? I’m in Southern California LA County and would be willing to surrender the bird to someone with more experience rehabilitating dove/pigeons. It is very friendly and eating and drinking just fine. If anyone knows of a rescue please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The tail being tattered will throw off her balance but should not stop her from being able to fly. Friendly could mean it could have been a pet, or it is sick.
Here is a link to a list of wildlife centers. We (LA) are region 5.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/WIL/rehab/facilities.html
Make sure to call these places first though. I know California Wild Life center in Malibu most likely will not take the dove because collared doves are not a native species. They did have one there they were trying to find a home for last time I was there so they might depending on how full they are. I fear most might have the same answer so
I also know a licensed rehabber in Ventura that I just sent an injured dove to today and one in Lake forest that might be able to help. If you want to send me your number, I can pass it along to her and you guys can get in touch about getting her the bird. If these places are too far for you, I live in Chatsworth and can take the bird to any of these places for you if you wish, just lemme know :)
Others might be along shortly with other options as well
Thanks for helping this sweet dove.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There seems to be a lot of messy not so healthy looking poops in that picture on a little side note. Please make sure to change out the paper often so it does not get all over her or in the food she is eating.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I rescued a male baby pigeon in 2006, Luxie-311, with no use of legs or tail (from suspected paratyphoid or salmonellosis). It recovered use of its legs, but not use of its tail. He grew up and went outside to live. We couldn't keep him inside, and knew no local rehabbers at the time.

When it grew up, it couldn't drag its tail in a courtship ritual and thus failed to impress one of my female pigeon rescues.

Since it couldn't move its tail, it couldn't out-manouver the birds of prey, and one afternoon I saw a bunch of small feathers on the street in front of our small apartment, where he used to hang out, and never saw him again.

I've seen pigeons do fairly well without tail feathers temporarily. They look quite comical (or mostly, just different) while landing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts