Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Yesterday around 3pm I found a fledging with splayed legs outside my window. It looks like the mom created it’s nest right outside my window on the ground. The issue is I had to bring it inside due to the high traffic area of where I live. A lot of people walk their dogs which made me worried the little dude is defenseless.
It survived the night. I had to open its mouth to feed it green peas. It’s drank some water infused with salt and sugar. I have it currently in a towl bundled up in a nest bowl in a cage. For the splay legs I used a hair band which seems to be keeping them together. My question is what do I do now? This little guy seems to be a troooper. I just want to give it a fighting chance. If i did anything wrong I apologize.
Whiskers Snout Electric blue Sporting Group Terrestrial animal
Blue Azure Textile Shipping box Grey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does he look comfortable with the hairband? When a bit older, the sockets grow in the direction of the legs. So fixing splayed leg when a bit older, can cause severe pain.
Yeah it looks comfortable but I keep adjusting it every now and then for it won’t dig in it’s belly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the bird able to move its legs at all?

Some nutritional deficiencies contribute to problems with leg development. Feeding solely peas is ok, but they don't supply all the nutrients that very young pigeons/doves need. Crumbled hard-boiled eggs with a tiny bit of yogurt with "live cultures" would, or perhaps use a bird hand-rearing formula such as Kaytee Exact.

Similar topic linked below about correcting splay-leg.
Yes it moving it’s legs. And today I took off the hair band for it can walk in the ground and it already looks like it’s trying to stabilize itself on its left leg. And okay thank you for the food advice. I will start using the egg yolk with yogurt. While I wait for the kaytee extract.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts