Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a pigeon yesterday in my backyard, my dog was playing around with it and we noticed it and that she might have injured it. It won't fly at all but does run and walk fine. It won't eat or drink water. I have it in a nice contained space were it can feel safe and calm.we check in it every 30 minutes but is the same. We tried letting it be outside alone and see if it was fine and just fly away but it just ended up coming back to the door walking. What do we do, we need help we are not experienced with pigeons.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Where are you located? It should probably go to a wildlife rehabber or an avian vet. The wing will likely need to be wrapped and if it has any punctures or lacerations it will need antibiotics.

You should definitely catch it and keep it in a warm, quiet place. You don't need to check on it that frequently, you're only stressing it out.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The bird must be warm before being fed and giving water into the beak can be disastrous, they so easily aspirate and die. I'd let it warm up in a darkened box away from noise and the dog, a heat pad on low or warm water bottle covered with a towel will do the trick and let it rest for a few hours.
Once warm and rested it may eat. To offer water just dip its beak into a bowl of water, obviously not over the nostrils and it may drink. If after a full 24 hours it still hasn't eaten you can hand feed it warm (not cooked) defrosted frozen peas. Just soaking them in warm water is fine.
You need to be confident and possibly lightly wrap a towel around its body so as it can't struggle and hurt itself.
Hand feeding.

Put him on your lap and hold him around the shoulder and neck with one hand, finger and thumb either side of his beak. With your other hand hold a pea in that finger and thumb and with a nail open his beak - hold the beak open with the finger and thumb that you have either side of it from the othe hand and put the pea as far back in his throat as you can. He should swallow it easily but if he spits it out it's because you didn't place it far enough back - make sure it's over the back of his tongue.

I'd give him ten peas and then let him rest for around four hours then repeat increasing to 15 - next 20 and as he gets stronger 25-30 four times a day. You won't need to worry about water when pea feeding as they contain enough moisture.

You'll need to check him for flesh wounds too in case your dog broke any skin because dog saliva carries a bacteria that pigeons have no defence against and it can kill them if they don't have antibiotics.

Search on google for rehabbers/wild life sanctuaries in your area who may take him in and don't leave him with a vet as they usually euthanise pigeons - unless you say he's a pet and want treatment not euthanasia. If you post your location folk on here may be able to direct you to a suitable sanctuary to contact. Please don't leave him outside as he's a sitting target for predators and if you knew just how sweet pigeons can be that would be a terrible fate for him to suffer.

Thank you for your kindness in looking out for him.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Agree with what others have said. Please let us know where you are located so we may be able to recommend people who might help. Thanks.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
FredaH covered everything perfectly. Please do it the way she has described. That will give him the best chance at survival. Thanks for caring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts