Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a grounded pigeon in my friends driveway. He could only fly short distances and was so weak I caught him easily, we have a hurricane on the way so leaving him was out of the question. I have him isolating in a large dog kennel in our garage for now, I don't know how to check if he has parasites, mites, fleas, disease, that could spread to my birds. He's very skinny. How do I help him? theres no pigeon friendly rehabbers or avian vets around me except for a big animal vet that doesn't officially see them but has given me mite treatment for my birds before.
Bird Beak Wood Accipitridae Feather

Gas Motor vehicle Pet supply Automotive exterior Mesh

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are you certain that the bird is both drinking and eating? There are no droppings in the pictures.

For mites and other external parasites, place a shallow dish such as a pie pan with water and boric acid at 1 teaspoon boric acid per quart of water (or 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water) and let the bird bathe itself in the water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you certain that the bird is both drinking and eating? There are no droppings in the pictures.

For mites and other external parasites, place a shallow dish such as a pie pan with water and boric acid at 1 teaspoon boric acid per quart of water (or 1/4 teaspoon per cup of water) and let the bird bathe itself in the water.
I took the picture immediately after putting him inside and left him to calm down with food and water. I'll check for droppings when I check on him again. The boric acid won't hurt him if he drinks it right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Heres a pic of his poops, his food was all over so I assume he's eating. Felt his wings and couldn't feel an obvious break, he also moved them to slap at me (more feisty since i got food in him ha!). I'm wondering if maybe he has an infection of some kind making him too weak to fly, i listened to his breathing and heard a click noise every breath or so. Maybe a respiratory issue?
Wood Ingredient Flooring Cuisine Recipe

Bird Eye Beak Feather Rock dove

Bird Phasianidae Pet supply Chicken Beak

Wood Asphalt Road surface Frog Plant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts