Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(please note I am a rather poor college student, so while I would love to take this fellow to the vet I really, really cannot afford it! :( )
Hello! Three days ago I received a call from one of my friends, informing me that she saved a baby bird from her barn cats. She had no idea how to care for it, and since I have successfully hand raised kittens and puppies from birth, wondered if I could try rearing this little fellow.
He has dark grey feathers, and little tufts of yellow sticking out every where. He also is bald under his wings and belly.
I think he is about 2-3 weeks old?

When I got him he was a little bit bloody, but I didn't seen any serious wounds other than a scratch on his wing and one on his back. He had no puncture wounds that I could see, and cleaning what he did have was little trouble.
My mother had raised various baby birds as a girl, and after talking with her I followed her recipe for a dog food, bread crumb and milk. While she had never had pigeons, this seemed like a good start to at least get some vitals in him.
He was reluctant to eat, I was trying to syringe it down his throat. After going online and doing some fast research, I realized I was going about it all wrong. Now I feed him via a sandwich baggie, with a cut out corner where he can stick his beak into.

He is the sweetest thing! Love cuddles, gives 'kissies' and cries for me if I'm not near. He loved to eat, and the first day was smooth sailing.

Last night however, I went to give him his last meal of the night when I noticed he was acting very off. He was listless, and his right side of the body was acting 'lazy'. His leg wasn't able to grip my fingers, and his wing kept going slack.
His crop also felt very hard, and I was worried about dehydration. I made his mash with a bit of extra water, and he wanted nothing to do with it. Normally he is MORE than excited to eat, I can't get his beak in the bag fast enough!
I figured this little bout of fussiness was due to the extra water, so I warmed up a fresh and normally watered batch. He wanted nothing to do with that either.
This little bout of anorexia had me so worried! He finally ate, 3 hours later, but he only had 1/2 of what he usually ate.

This morning he ate, but still just a limited amount, his little crop wasn't even slightly puffed out. :(
His refusal of the food made it splatter all over him, so I gave him a quick bath. It was then I realized I had missed a clump of bloody feathers. Upon further washing and probing with a q-tip I realized I had missed a serious puncture wound on his right side, on his lower back right before his tail feathers start.
I promptly washed it as I would any other animal (I am a vet student, but we haven't broadly covered birds/reptiles/exotics yet) and it is definitely infected, it had such a horrible smell! Thankfully it is fully open and there is no abscess, and I made sure to flush it out well.

Now he definitely had a fever, and his right leg is completely limp. He can move the thigh portion, but the whole foot is not being used. If he needs to walk somewhere, he uses his little wing as a 'cane'.

I had some Tribrissen left over from this winter when one of my horses was hurt, so I gave him a LITTLE LITTLE amount via syringe.
just over 4 hours later I came down to find him happily and hungrily chirrping for his food.

I made a new kind of formula, with wet dog food, cream of wheat, water and a little bit of honey.
He GOBBLED this down. :)
I mixed a bit more of the Tribrissen in with his mash, and I bathed him again and washed his puncture wound.
Now it's just a waiting game, but I want to make sure I am doing this right!
He has a nice wicker 'nest' with two warm water bottles, and a little plushie friend.

Do you think it will be okay to continue with Tribrissen? I was wondering about adding some penicillin or bactrim, but I don't want to over load him. He still has no use of his right leg :(

Thank you for helping!

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi

To me, it reads like he had contracted an infection from his brush with the cat. Even cats' saliva can transmit pasteurella, which is usually fatal to a bird if untreated.

If he continues OK then I'd think that you giving him that medication saved his life. I see that pasteurella is one of the things it is stated to be effective against.

Only thing is ensuring correct dose for such a young pigeon. Other broad-spectrum antibiotics are commonly dosed according to bodyweight, and type of animal being treated. I'm not personally familiar with it, but hopefully someone who is will also respond and know of interaction with other drugs.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
where is your location? a rehabber may be close to you. the concern is the pucture wound... tribrissen Iam not familiar with..so someone will have to direct you there..but it may have saved his life as a cat bite can bring them down pretty quick just from the bacteria.. what your feeding may be getting compacted in his crop... I would see if that can be cleared up before feeding him more..the crop should be empty before feedings.. he probably can when ready be feed defrosted peas and corn from the frozen bags.. I would stop giving him dog food and bread.. you may have to get some unsweetend apple sauce or baby apple sauce and give him that to get things moving.. and massage the crop..

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi iRainy222, thanks for rescuing this little guy seems you are going in the right direction of care for this little guy, we just have to get the balance right, (as you may now know, they should not be be given milk). The Tribrissen, this is Trimethoprim/Sulfa, by the way (a very good broad spectrum antibiotic, aka Bactrim) you gave him, as mentioned, most likely saved his life, but because what you have is formulated for a horse, please do not give him any more until we get the dosing right for him, this will not be hard to do, all we need to know is the form the Tribrissen is in and the strength, a weight on him would be good as well.

Here is a link with a good amount of information on feeding and weaning:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=549961&postcount=77

Karyn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my gosh, thank you all SO much for the quick replies!
I'll see if I can bring in our hamster scale from the clinic tomorrow and see how much he weighs, so I can get the dosage to the Tribrissen spot on! It's actually in a paste form, but it dissolves well into any base you put it in.

And I'll be sure to pick up some apple sauce too, I think I could start him on the carrots and peas tonight as well.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It's actually in a paste form, but it dissolves well into any base you put it in.

And I'll be sure to pick up some apple sauce too, I think I could start him on the carrots and peas tonight as well.
Does the tube have the strength on the label? Not carrots, but corn and peas, but if you have a look at the information in the link I gave you, he will be better off if you can get him going on some Kaytee formula, it will be a complete diet/nutrition for him.

Is this what you are using?

http://horsewarehouse.com/cgi-bin/hwc08/rtl/phd.cgi?Autoincrement=000979

Karyn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the tube have the strength on the label? Not carrots, but corn and peas, but if you have a look at the information in the link I gave you, he will be better off if you can get him going on some Kaytee formula, it will be a complete diet/nutrition for him.

Is this what you are using?

http://horsewarehouse.com/cgi-bin/hwc08/rtl/phd.cgi?Autoincrement=000979

Karyn
Oops! I was thinking corn, but wrote carrots! :D
But yes, that is exactly what I am using.

I also got a better look at the right leg he won't use, and the little 'hock' section of it is severely red and inflamed, and the foot actually looks a bit smaller than the other. None of the immediate bones feel broken though, unless I am missing something, and he definitely has no more punctures/lesions any where else on his body. Could he be deformed? I wish I wasn't alone so I could get some images of it!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
We can worry about photos in a little while, let's get his meds straight, as this is important with infections. About how much did you give and how long ago? Does the syringe screw/twist down, or do you push straight on the plunger?

Karyn

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
The TrimethSulpha should help the leg inflammation, also.

That was very smart of you to start him on it...the window of opportunity was barely there any longer. Am sending my best vibes and wishes for the lil' guy.

...there are other antibiotics which may work better on bone and tissue infections such as what you are seeing in the foot/leg but as Dobato says...the critical thing in this moment is to get the right dosages of the Trib into him - so it can fight off the bacterial infection in the bloodstream....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's a 10ml straight push syringe, pretty basic. I only gave a really little bit, not even half a ml, diluted into 4 ml of warm water.
The second time I gave it was the same amount (maybe the size of half a popcorn kernel) into his mash. I'm still not totally comfortable syringe feeding, so I try to avoid it! This was at 5:00 Eastern time.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific! The tube is measured per 100lbs, so I have no idea what a little drop of it would equal.

**EDIT:
I just got to weigh him! My friend brought over her small scale.
He is 10.4 oz

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have to run, but I can give you dosing for the Tribrissen, Each 110lb graduation on the plunger of the Tribrissen syringe you have, IE; 110, 220, 330 and so on, is equal to 3.75g of Tribrissen, or 1500mg of Trimethoprim/Sulfa.

You need to measure out one of these graduation measurements, 3.75mg of Tribrissen, and take this strip of paste and divide it into three equal parts. You can put away the other 2/3 away in some foil and keep it in the refrigerator for future use.

Take this 1/3 strip of paste, this will be 500mg of Trimethoprim/Sulfa and add it to 10mL of pancake syrup or honey, 10mL will be 2 cooking teaspoons worth, but you must use a cooking teaspoon. not a common flatware teaspoon to be accurate. Stir this together well and you will have a 5% Trimethoprim/Sulfa suspension (50mg/mL) to dose this little guy with. At 2-3 weeks old he would normally weigh about 250g and the called for dosing would be 50mg/kg BID (twice a day, every 12h). So he would need to get 12.5mg each dose, which would be 0.25cc using a 1cc syringe, if you do not have a syringe you can use an eye dropper to give 5 drops of the suspension, this will be approximately 0.25cc, but pick up a 1cc syringe to be accurate.

With the amount you have given, I would wait until 24h between the last dose you gave and starting correct dosing for him. If you can get an exact weight on him we can fine tune the dosing so it is quite correct. Please do post up some clear, close-up photos of the injured leg when you do get a chance.

Karyn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my gosh, thank you so much!
Right now he is 10.4 oz, which is 291g. Would it still be okay to do the 50mg/kg BID dosage? Or should it be upped a little?

We have tons of eye dropper's, but I'll see if I can't pick up a proper 1cc syringe by tomorrow. Everything I have here in the house is large for our horses!
I'll see if I can't get some clear images of that leg up here too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a side note; would it be okay to just give him plain warm water for tonight instead of feeding him? The crop is really puffy and feels like it's full of air, so I think that milk and bread from earlier is really disagreeing with him. I gave him a bit of unsweetened applesauce like suggested, until I can go out and get him formula. In the meantime, would water help to at least keep him hydrated and to clear out the crop? Is there anything else I could give?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Rainy.....Thank you for all that you are doing for this little one.

You can give him a few cc's of the applesauce. This will help neutralize the PH level in his crop. Also if you give him some warm water gently massage the crop after feeding. This will help in getting his digestive system working. Make sure to keep him warm. A heating pad, set on low, placed under a towell works great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much! I gave him 3ccs of apple, and 5 1/2 cc of warm water. :) He is full and very sleepy now!
I'll get the pictures of his leg up in the morning, but again, thank you to everyone! You have been so kind and so prompt about answering my questions and helping, it's nice to know people care about these little buggers so much!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
10.4 ounces ? He's a BIG boy. Just keep an eye on the crop, make sure it empties during the night. We don't wanna see crop stasis at this point. Do check on him during the night of you can. If there are any signs of distress, come back here for help.

Also...if you feel he is over 2 weeks old, you can feed defrosted peas and corn as well. He doesn't really have to be on formula anymore.

If you cannot find a 1cc syringe...then perhaps you can do a measurement of the eyedropper volume using one of your bigger measuring devices (i.e. - how many full eyedroppers does it take to get to 5ml/10ml/whatever).

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Oh my gosh, thank you so much!
Right now he is 10.4 oz, which is 291g. Would it still be okay to do the 50mg/kg BID dosage? Or should it be upped a little?

We have tons of eye dropper's, but I'll see if I can't pick up a proper 1cc syringe by tomorrow. Everything I have here in the house is large for our horses!
I'll see if I can't get some clear images of that leg up here too.
Yes, you will up it a touch, by 1 drop to 0.30cc, or 6 drops, every 12h. After you take the photos of the leg, you can apply a light coating of Neosporin to any open wounds for now.

Karyn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we just woke up, and his crop is empty and he is very bright, hungry, and alert! I also found a 1cc syringe in our first aide kit last night, so he'll start his med's at about 6pm. I gave him the last dose yesterday around 5, so he'll have over 24 hours before we put him on the properly measured amount.
I don't have any frozen peas or corn yet, so he'll have to do with a little bit of applesauce and the formula I made just one last time. :)
I'll see if he isn't sleepy enough to let me get some pictures of his leg after feeding!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
For feeding here are two links that show essentially the same thing, a person feeding food to a pigeon by hand. In the first link below it will be piece by piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

In this link it shows the feeding of a seed mixture to a squab a bit younger that the one you have. The seeds are presoaked, meaning you will place the mixed seeds into very warm water for 1/2 hour before feeding, this will help make it easier for him to digest the seeds and also hydrate them, as they would be if the parent was feeding him. You can use wild bird seed mix, just make sure it has no large seeds/corn/peas/peanuts/sunflower seeds in the shell. The video shows well about the right size of the seeds in the mixture could be. Also, if not wild bird seed is around, you can use a budgie seed mix, the seeds will be smaller, but will do fine, they would be soaked the same of course.

Pay attention to how full the crop is in the video, you want your little guy's crop to fill up like this (the crop id a food storage "bag" at the base of the neck area). At the end of the video the person gives the baby some water from his mouth, people around the world do this, but we don't recommend it as a human's mouth has different bacteria that best not be given to a pigeon. You little guy may be old enough to drink on his own, if you dip his beak into a small dish of tepid (slightly warm) water. If not you can dribble water to the side of his beak, but tilt his head slightly down, you have to get 5-7mL of water into him at each feeding to help digest the seeds and to keep him hydrated. If you can't get him drinking on his own keep trying wherever it is time for water for his, do this first, before dribbling. In a week or so he should be ready to start to peck and eat his own food, and by then he should be drinking on his own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5H5duyufNk&NR=1

I will post instruction on how to wean him later, here is a link with a few more words on getting them to drink:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=522565&postcount=11

Good luck with him and if you have any questions, just ask.

Karyn

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
So we just woke up, and his crop is empty and he is very bright, hungry, and alert! I also found a 1cc syringe in our first aide kit last night, so he'll start his med's at about 6pm. I gave him the last dose yesterday around 5, so he'll have over 24 hours before we put him on the properly measured amount.
I don't have any frozen peas or corn yet, so he'll have to do with a little bit of applesauce and the formula I made just one last time. :)
I'll see if he isn't sleepy enough to let me get some pictures of his leg after feeding!
Hi iRainy and welcome to PT. Just following this thread.....your in great hands!
Can't wait to see pictures of the little one :)
And thank you for caring!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts