Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a somewhat stunned young pigeon under a railroad bridge in London two weeks ago. I seems that it had fallen out of its nest but could not yet fly back.
I was able to easily take it home (I can not really get too close to it now). It started eating and drinking within a couple of days and can now fly.
I estimate its age to have been about 15 to 20 days when I found it. It is much bigger now. I have not tried to bond with it as I can not keep it. It readily pecks at any crumbs and eats heartily.
Can I release it yet? Should I take it to the bridge where I found it? The road under the bridge under which the pigeons roost is very busy and it seems it would be somewhat dangerous to the pigeon.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I would not suggest to release the bird at this early age. He would not be able to escape the predators as couldn't learn it from the parents and was lost.atleast he should develop his full wings and stronger enough to survive outside.and when you yourself know it is dangerous for him , so wait for some more time and when you believe he will make it , you can release him.don't bond with him but just for the sake of his need, serve some more time pls.may be 1-2months more.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this youngster.

Please check this link for rescue resources, there is also a link to connect you to a face book page, and post your question there..

The youngster would have a better chance of survival if it is eventually released with other youngsters its age, and to be released in a positive environment. Also, there is a release criteria each bird should have. The rescue centers may be able to keep the bird with others of its age for future release.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentresinengland.htm

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi

As you are in London, you may like to give London Wildlife Protection a call, or get on their Facebook group. They deal with pigeon rescues and rehabilitation in the London area more than of any other species.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/469422019779538/

LWP: 07909 795064
07979 417922

1 - 4 of 4 Posts