Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Found this nestling in the middle of a busy road tonight. I've placed it on a towel lined heating pad. It has no obvious injuries that I can see. It was motionless when I approached it but was able to walk and fly a short distance. It crashed into a wall (perhaps owing to it being dark outside?). It's fully alert, the eyes are wide open. What are the next steps I should take to care for this bird? I have wild bird seed. Would it suit for a bird this young? I've attached photos below. The poop is dark green. Thank you in advance!

Cas

Attachments

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Probably too young for seeds. You can hydrate him by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Best food to handfeed will be green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Place him on your lap, open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one. Aim for 30 peas 3 times a day, total of 90 per day.

Before feeding, first check for any yellow or whitish growths inside his beak and back of the throat.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably too young for seeds. You can hydrate him by dipping the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Best food to handfeed will be green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Place him on your lap, open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue. Let him swallow and proceed with the next one. Aim for 30 peas 3 times a day, total of 90 per day.

Before feeding, first check for any yellow or whitish growths inside his beak and back of the throat.

Keep us updated.
Thanks for that! She doesn't want to drink when I dip her beak into water. Would she be able to drink on her own from a bowl or get enough fluids from peas? I didn't see any growths in the mouth. I fed her about 30 peas like you advised. She kept regurgitating them but I pushed them deeper and got the hang of it.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
She will get enough fluids from the peas, but has to learn how to drink. She is probably very scared right now. Keep on dipping the beak in the water, esp after feeding. Is the crop emptying ok? There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings. They will be green and mushy when fed peas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She will get enough fluids from the peas, but has to learn how to drink. She is probably very scared right now. Keep on dipping the beak in the water, esp after feeding. Is the crop emptying ok? There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings. They will be green and mushy when fed peas.
She is scared of me and slaps me with her wing when my hand gets near. There were a lot of brownish droppings this morning. A change from yesterday's green. She's puffed up right now and doesn't want to leave her spot. She poops a lot and the poop gets stuck in her feathers. Oh she's preening herself right now. This was becoming an issue. I'll let her practice drinking and let you know how we're getting on. Many thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to feed her 15 peas this morning. She starts to fidget and keeps her beak shut after I've fed her some. I didn't want to stress her out too much and stopped. She drank water this time around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a bunch of 1ml syringes that could be small enough to fit inside her beak. Is feeding her puree that is made for babies a bad idea if we can't get enough peas in? Perhaps I could add some ground nuts to it too?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Rather stick to the peas. They can easily aspirate if you put liquid food inside the beak. The advantage of peas is that they quickly learn to eat peas by themselves. You can start leaving a small bowl of peas with him. Once he does start eating, you can add some small seeds to the peas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rather stick to the peas. They can easily aspirate if you put liquid food inside the beak. The advantage of peas is that they quickly learn to eat peas by themselves. You can start leaving a small bowl of peas with him. Once he does start eating, you can add some small seeds to the peas.
Got it. I'll buy petits pois peas. The garden peas are a tad too big for her. Is it normal for her to stand in one spot and not move around much? The droppings have turned greener after the morning feeding.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
That's normal. Strange environment and viewing you as the predator. Droppings will be green when getting fed peas. You can also try to get a handraising formula for parrots. Mix the powder with a bit of water to form a soft clay. Then make small balls and handfeed to him. But then he needs to drink water as the balls make them very thirsty. You can feed half balls and half peas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's normal. Strange environment and viewing you as the predator. Droppings will be green when getting fed peas. You can also try to get a handraising formula for parrots. Mix the powder with a bit of water to form a soft clay. Then make small balls and handfeed to him. But then he needs to drink water as the balls make them very thirsty. You can feed half balls and half peas.
Update. We managed to eat about 80 peas today. She doesn't enjoy being fed as you would expect but it's a start. 30 in one sitting is a no go so I tried to feed her less but every two hours. She quivered and threw up a couple of peas on two occasions. Would that be a cause for concern? Is it ok to use a wet towel to clean off all the gunk on her feathers? 🤞

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Yes, you can use a wet towel for cleaning. Vomiting peas is not normal, unless you were feeding too much in one go or the previous batch has not been digested. Can you post another photo of what the droppings look like now? You did check inside the beak for canker?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, you can use a wet towel for cleaning. Vomiting peas is not normal, unless you were feeding too much in one go or the previous batch has not been digested. Can you post another photo of what the droppings look like now? You did check inside the beak for canker?
Lucky, it's what I named her, passed away this morning. Her breathing was rapid and she didn't resist my hand at all. This was before any feeding took place so the condition must have worsened during the night. She was sleeping in her favourite spot, the legs were tucked in. I put the tip of the beak into the water and she took a couple of sips. Soon after she started mouth breathing and convulsing. Did I kill her? After I fed her peas yesterday, she threw up a couple. Was it ok to feed wet peas? Can some of the water get into their lungs that way? Is it possible that she had something wrong with her when I found her. She was sitting in the middle of a busy road. Cars going by, reluctant to move. Do fledglings have a proper fear response or was it atypical? I checked her beak. It was pink with no growths. I'm still sobbing. Poor bird. What if I caused undue suffering to her.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I don't think she aspirated. They can only aspirate if they breath in water and as long as the nostrils are not covered by water, this can't happen. Breathing will also be raspy when water gets into the lungs. It's also normal for a pigeon to do open mouth breathing when they die.

Those droppings do not look good. She must have been sick when you found her. Canker does not always show in the throat, can be in the crop as well. There are so many diseases out there and youngsters get affected as they don't have the same immunity as the parents. Problem is also getting meds for treatment. You can't just buy from a pharmacy (in our country we can).

So plse don't feel guilty. You gave her a safe place to pass, she didn't die all alone on the street.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think she aspirated. They can only aspirate if they breath in water and as long as the nostrils are not covered by water, this can't happen. Breathing will also be raspy when water gets into the lungs. It's also normal for a pigeon to do open mouth breathing when they die.

Those droppings do not look good. She must have been sick when you found her. Canker does not always show in the throat, can be in the crop as well. There are so many diseases out there and youngsters get affected as they don't have the same immunity as the parents. Problem is also getting meds for treatment. You can't just buy from a pharmacy (in our country we can).

So plse don't feel guilty. You gave her a safe place to pass, she didn't die all alone on the street.
Thank you Marina for your advice and reassurance. Whatever ailed her I wasn't able to see or recognise. It's tragic all around. Have you any idea what her watery yellowish droppings could mean? My limited understanding is that her kidneys weren't functioning properly but what could have caused that. Can canker do that too?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Canker can affect the liver and then the urates (white part of the dropping) will be yellowish. They also drink a lot of water when they have canker and then produces watery droppings. Food also don't digest well. That might explain the vomiting. So the yellow growths inside the beak is only one of the symptoms.

The only way for sure to determine if canker is involved when one gets a sick pigeon (absence of yellow in the beak and throat) will be to have a cropsmear done by an avian vet and then get medication for treatment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts