Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Chances are if you move the eggs to somewhere else other than the pot, the mother will be totally confused & may well abandon them, although handling them will not leave any "scent" so no real worries there (many breeders handle eggs without any problems).
What you could do is when the mother is away, move the eggs and some of the "nest" (not that there is much lol), water your plants, place a plastic bag on top of where the nest was, then replace nest & eggs.
This will protect the birds from the damp soil, & hopefully the mother will continue to sit on them as they are in the same location.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Chances are if you move the eggs to somewhere else other than the pot, the mother will be totally confused & may well abandon them, although handling them will not leave any "scent" so no real worries there (many breeders handle eggs without any problems).
What you could do is when the mother is away, move the eggs and some of the "nest" (not that there is much lol), water your plants, place a plastic bag on top of where the nest was, then replace nest & eggs.
This will protect the birds from the damp soil, & hopefully the mother will continue to sit on them as they are in the same location.
good idea. :D

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
And in answer to a previous post, there's no problem with getting human scent on pigeon eggs - or babies. They ignore it, unlike some other birds or animals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
today my dad and i found multiple pigeon eggs in an air-conditioner we tore out on his buildings rooftop. when we frist cut into it 2 pigeons flew out so i have reason to believe that 2 of the 5 eggs may be good to hatch. right now i have them under my desk lamp on a damp cloth at about 97.7 degrees F. i do not have access to an incubater and was just wandering that if kept at the current conditions they will hatch. any help would be cool, thanks!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would just toss them, as even if you could get them to hatch, raising baby pigeons is not an easy task. Then being hand raised, they aren't good candidates for release. Just not worth it. The pigeon parents will go elsewhere and start another nest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aw, that mom looks so cute! What a great place to lay eggs in! :D I wonder where's da egg daddy?!! :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
There is this one pigeon. It laid an egg on my balcony behind the washing mashine on a plastic bag. My mom made the mistake of shifting the eggs with the plastic bag to a cardboard box. The pigeon came back and started looking for it but did not see it. I have shifted the eggs to a cardboard box made from leaves and sticks. The eggs are safetly in the box, but one is slightly damanged but it is not showing and sign of the egg white.What should I do?- I live in India so there is no chance of getting an incubater but the temperature is 30-35 degrees. HELP NEEDED BADLY!!! NEED ADVICE!!!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well if it was damaged then it probably won't hatch. Did the parent bird come back to them? If not, then they won't hatch, and the birds will lay more eggs somewhere else. These things happen. Nothing you can do.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree with Jay3, nature has it's own way of recovering. If you don't have any pigeons to put them under toss them, as they are not devolped so no pain will be induced.

Lucas

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi,
There is this one pigeon. It laid an egg on my balcony behind the washing mashine on a plastic bag. My mom made the mistake of shifting the eggs with the plastic bag to a cardboard box. The pigeon came back and started looking for it but did not see it. I have shifted the eggs to a cardboard box made from leaves and sticks. The eggs are safetly in the box, but one is slightly damanged but it is not showing and sign of the egg white.What should I do?- I live in India so there is no chance of getting an incubater but the temperature is 30-35 degrees. HELP NEEDED BADLY!!! NEED ADVICE!!!

this thread is from 2005 originally. the dates are at the tope of the first post. if you want to share you may get more response if you open your own updated thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My female pigeon wont sit on her eggs

I hav to pigeons paired and had already mated and layed 2 eggs and then they started to brood it when they got it I had put a cardboard box for them and then later I made a long box out of wood and divided it into 2 and put the eggs there with the same material they had but now she wont sit on them the male also wont sit , so what should I do ????? Please reply soon (the eggs came 3 days ago)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I hav to pigeons paired and had already mated and layed 2 eggs and then they started to brood it when they got it I had put a cardboard box for them and then later I made a long box out of wood and divided it into 2 and put the eggs there with the same material they had but now she wont sit on them the male also wont sit , so what should I do ????? Please reply soon (the eggs came 3 days ago)
This is an old thread, started in 2005. Every now and then someone comes in and makes a comment, but you really need to start your own thread. I will PM you on how to do that.

But for now, to answer your question, you can't move the eggs or babies or they will not recognize them as theirs. They will abandon them. Either toss the eggs and let them start over, or put everything back the way it was. If it isn't too late, they will go back to them. Maybe not though. You may just have to let them start over. And then don't change anything till they are weaned.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts