Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A white, fancy looking pigeon has been in our yard in Brooklyn, NY the past several days. He seemed hungry so we've been giving him bird seed. He seems tame, but not enough to get close enough to touch him. He doesn't appear to have a band on his leg. The 911 site is not responding, so I wasn't able to post there. We feel sure that he must belong to someone and would like to help get him/her home. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
CD

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I'm very sorry the 911 contact form is down again. In order for us to help you locate the owner, you really need to catch and safely confine this bird with food and water available and then post us all the letters and numbers on the band. If there is no band, then we cannot locate the owner.

Welcome to Pigeon-Talk, and that you for your kindness and concern for this pigeon!

Terry

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
He doesn't have a band, Terry.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Thanks for helping this bird, CD. In addition to the seed, you might want to also offer a dish of water (at least 2” deep, since pigeons drink by sucking up water like a person would.)

If he doesn’t have a band, it is unlikely the owner can be found. Any possibility you could post a picture of the bird? It might help identify what breed of pigeon it is. Generally, fancy pigeons don’t survive well in the wild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
follow-up

Thanks for the quick responses.

S/he has been drinking out of our bird bath, so we haven't put out a water dish.

I attempted to upload a couple of pictures to the gallery since I couldn't figure out how to insert them here. I labeled them Lost pigeon 1 and 2. I wanted to get a picture of the pigeon with one of the mourning doves that hang out in our yard so you could get a size comparison, but the doves wouldn't cooperate tonight. Anyway, the pigeon is quite alot bigger than the doves - the first time I saw it out the back window I though it was a sea gull.

It has reddish feet, a yellow beak with a knobby thing on the top of the beak where it meets the feathers, and has red eyes.

It seems to have difficulty flying and doesn't ever go very far.

I guess we should try to catch it so we can give it to someone who keeps them. It's a very Brooklyn thing to raise pigeons on the roof, but we don't know anyone who does.

Any suggestions on how to catch it?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If it has difficulty flying, the bird is at high risk from a predator. Please do what you can to catch it. Here are some suggestions.

Since it is becoming used to your feeding it, a simple box trap might work. Set some feed under a lightly weighted box held up by stick near where it is used to being fed. Attach a string from the stick to where you are hiding out of sight. When bird moved under the box, tug the stick out. Don't try to reach under the box and grab the bird as it is likely to escape. It's better to slide a board under the box and move the whole thing to an enclosed area. I know there is a good photo of one on this forum, but I'm not finding it right now.

Another way is to use a trail of food to lure it inside a shed or other building where it would be more easily captured.

If you see where it roosts at night, you can quietly sneak up and grab it then, since pigeons don't see well in the dark. Just make your move decisive or the bird might fly blindly in panic.

Good luck and thank you for caring enough to help out this bird!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trap

I was going to send you a link for the box trap but can not find it....can some one put up the link?:)
I found the page with the trap, but we don't want to catch it unless/until we have someone to give it to. We have cats, so keeping it caged is not an option unless it's very time limited.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I found the page with the trap, but we don't want to catch it unless/until we have someone to give it to. We have cats, so keeping it caged is not an option unless it's very time limited.
if the bars on the cage are close together the cat should not beable to get to the bird, believe me it is safer in a cage in your garage or house than out 24/7, something is going to get it sooner or later when they don't have a protected spot to go to. It may take awhile to even catch it, so to have an adoptive home is really irrelevant about catching it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts