Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a pigeon that someone left in my house. She was not eating nor drinking but she would freak out when i try to touch her. I took her to the vet today and they told me she has a virus that makes her not eat or drink and that my only solution is to kill her. I decided to take her to another vet, as i was waiting for the clinic to open i found out she has PMV. i am unfamiliar with anything about pigeons i kept trying to educate myself on this site. I hand fed her squished rice and put water in a tiny syringe and gave it to her. i am not sure how much water she should drink. I don't want to kill her or choke her as she hasn't eaten anything yesterday. I don't know how much she weighs the vet did not weigh her in but he said she is from a fine breed. I didn't read anywhere on the article posted here about PMV about them requiring medication however i am concerned. Does she need any sort of medication? Should i just keep feeding her and giving her water? and how much is enough. i I tried uploading a picture of the pigeon but it won't let me post it, says it is not an image as expected. i really want to save her. Also, can i just keep her outside? or are there specific requirements for the weather condition because i have a mama cat and baby kittens and i am worried about how the mama cat would interact with the pigeon. i don't want to stress the pigeon but i can't put her up for adoption as no one around here where i live will bother to hand feed a pigeon daily.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Do you have the photos on your cell? Go to the paperclip icon and then select from your gallery. When you select, the image will upload and then click on "full image". Is he keeping the head upside down and spinning in circles? Stress worsen the symptoms, rather get a small cage for him and put him in a quiet room or even the bathroom. Cage on a table (they feel safer off the floor0 and cover half with a blanket to make him feel safe.

Rather feed defrosted green peas. Soak in warm water till soft and feed one at a time by putting deep inside his beak over the tongue. Also rather dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. Peas have lots of moisture, so don't be alarmed if he is not eating. Also put small seeds in a deep dish, they sometimes figure out a way to eat by themselves.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He keeps spinning in circles all the time and does place his head upside down every now and then. How much water is enough? I read that two table spoons are a good start, and i think i fed him two table spoons of rice. can i give him peas now? Or is it going to be bad for him? My veterinarian friend said this disease effects his lungs and he is going to die tomorrow. Is that true? I will make sure to do what you said about keeping him in a room with a blanket on. I gave him 10-15 ml water today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the photos on your cell? Go to the paperclip icon and then select from your gallery. When you select, the image will upload and then click on "full image". Is he keeping the head upside down and spinning in circles? Stress worsen the symptoms, rather get a small cage for him and put him in a quiet room or even the bathroom. Cage on a table (they feel safer off the floor0 and cover half with a blanket to make him feel safe.

Rather feed defrosted green peas. Soak in warm water till soft and feed one at a time by putting deep inside his beak over the tongue. Also rather dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. Peas have lots of moisture, so don't be alarmed if he is not eating. Also put small seeds in a deep dish, they sometimes figure out a way to eat by themselves.
i just posted pictures of him. He keeps spinning in circles all the time and does place his head upside down every now and then. How much water is enough? I read that two table spoons are a good start, and i think i fed him two table spoons of rice. can i give him peas now? Or is it going to be bad for him? My veterinarian friend said this disease effects his lungs and he is going to die tomorrow. Is that true? I will make sure to do what you said about keeping him in a room with a blanket on. I gave him 10-15 ml water today.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Can you post a photo of his recent droppings? They normally drink about 30 to 40 ml water per day, depending on the weather. Place a small dish of water in front of him to see if he will drink by himself. If the rice got digested (there should be droppings after he got fed) then you can feed him peas.

Sure is a beauty. No, he probably won't die.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you post a photo of his recent droppings? They normally drink about 30 to 40 ml water per day, depending on the weather. Place a small dish of water in front of him to see if he will drink by himself. If the rice got digested (there should be droppings after he got fed) then you can feed him peas.

Sure is a beauty. No, he probably won't die.
i am not sure which are the ones he made after he ate rice and which are the ones before he ate. And if he pooped at all after he ate.
Brown Bedrock Beige Groundcover Pattern

Brown Bedrock Wood Groundcover Beige

Brown Road surface Asphalt Wood Groundcover

Brown Plant Bedrock Flower Groundcover

Brown Bedrock Wood Groundcover Plant

Brown Wood Groundcover Mixture Plant

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Yes you can. Feed him 25 peas. Easier if you have him on your lap against your body. After feeding you can dip his beak in a bowl of water. But not over the nostrils otherwise he can aspirate. The droppings will become bulkier when food is digesting with less yellow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you can. Feed him 25 peas. Easier if you have him on your lap against your body. After feeding you can dip his beak in a bowl of water. But not over the nostrils otherwise he can aspirate. The droppings will become bulkier when food is digesting with less yellow.
do i have to feed her 150 peas daily? it was really difficult to make her eat 20 peas, she resists and moves around a lot, and spits the food out. she also drops her head to the ground and stays there for a long time and i wait for her to lift her head up to try to feed her again. Also can you please tell me what is the most appropriate way to feed her? i feel like i touch her nose and the food gets in it. i cleaned it with a slightly tissue after feeding her, is that okay? or is she gonna choke on the water? and what is the most appropriate temperature for the room? should it be hot or cold. when the ac was off it was a bit too warm when it is on it is a bit too cold. what is the optimal temperature?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
If she is not able to eat by herself, she will need 150 peas per day to keep her weight up. Did you offer seeds in a deep dish? Leave the dish with her and give her some privacy, she might start eating when you are not around.

Best way to feed peas: put her on your lap facing to the right if you are righthanded. Reach with your lefthand over her body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and out deep inside the beak over the tongue. You can cover her body with a lightweight blanket and only let her beak stick out.

Room temperature is fine. What country are you from?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If she is not able to eat by herself, she will need 150 peas per day to keep her weight up. Did you offer seeds in a deep dish? Leave the dish with her and give her some privacy, she might start eating when you are not around.

Best way to feed peas: put her on your lap facing to the right if you are righthanded. Reach with your lefthand over her body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and out deep inside the beak over the tongue. You can cover her body with a lightweight blanket and only let her beak stick out.

Room temperature is fine. What country are you from?
united arab emirates. so i should let the cage door open so she can eat and drink if she wants when i am not around?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
No. Keep her inside the cage. Put down a deep seeddish and a small waterbowl in for her. She should not be stressed at this point. Stress will worsen her symptoms. Only take her out for handfeeding and put her back inside. Then give her some privacy cause she might start eating seeds. Has the droppings improved?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No. Keep her inside the cage. Put down a deep seeddish and a small waterbowl in for her. She should not be stressed at this point. Stress will worsen her symptoms. Only take her out for handfeeding and put her back inside. Then give her some privacy cause she might start eating seeds. Has the droppings improved?
these are the recent dropping she made as i was feeding her the peas. I can’t tell if they are better or not but they seem bulkier
Wood Asphalt Grey Road surface Circle

Hood Table Automotive tire Road surface Wood
Th

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
No, droppings are not looking good. Either you are not feeding enough or she has crop issues with food not digesting. The crop is located in the front of the breast little bit to her right side (pigeon facing away from you). If the crop is hard, then food is not digesting. Can you take a flashlight and check inside the beak and back of the throat for any unusual growths. Canker will show as cheesy yellow growths and yeast will be whitish. At least these diseases can be treated. The inside of the beak and throat should be a rosy pinkish colour.

How much peas are you handfeeding? Is he trying to eat seeds?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, droppings are not looking good. Either you are not feeding enough or she has crop issues with food not digesting. The crop is located in the front of the breast little bit to her right side (pigeon facing away from you). If the crop is hard, then food is not digesting. Can you take a flashlight and check inside the beak and back of the throat for any unusual growths. Canker will show as cheesy yellow growths and yeast will be whitish. At least these diseases can be treated. The inside of the beak and throat should be a rosy pinkish colour.

the crop is hard. the inside of her mouth is pink. should i take her to the vet? he will give me a medication for it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

so far i only fed her 50 peas. i fed her about 3 hours ago, i was waiting for 4 hours to pass to feed her again. i didn't put a dish for the seads. i don't have a tiny deep dish that can be placed in the cage

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Don't you have a ramekin or something similar to use as a dish? Otherwise just put a heap of seeds inside the cage, although a bowl will be better. If she starts eating, that will be a good sign.

Do you know a good avian vet? Ask to check for canker, yeast and salmonella. Salmonella can also cause this symptoms when the brain gets infected. Please don't let the vet euthanize!!! Tell him this is your pet pigeon. That way they will need to treat her.

But plse put the seeds inside the cage. Leave the light on tonight. With decent food, she might start producing good looking droppings.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts