Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Don't you have a ramekin or something similar to use as a dish? Otherwise just put a heap of seeds inside the cage, although a bowl will be better. If she starts eating, that will be a good sign.

Do you know a good avian vet? Ask to check for canker, yeast and salmonella. Salmonella can also cause this symptoms when the brain gets infected. Please don't let the vet euthanize!!! Tell him this is your pet pigeon. That way they will need to treat her.

But plse put the seeds inside the cage. Leave the light on tonight. With decent food, she might start producing good looking droppings.
I just fed her 55 peas and gave her 12ml water and she made these dropplings. I wanted to take a picture of the droppling but then she stepped on it, the one in the first picture. It looked actually bulky. I know a a good falcon doctor here. I’ve only seen him treat falcons. I will take her to him tomorrow just to make sure she doesn’t have any other issues. I will buy her a plate today and put seeds for her. I didn’t want her to be uncomfortable in the cage and step on the food and water and spill it everywhere and mix it with her poop. Thought it would make her stressed, an uncomfortable environment.
Plant Water Road surface Liquid Twig

Frog Water Plant Toad True frog

Liquid Water Plant Aquatic plant Grass

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Don't you have a ramekin or something similar to use as a dish? Otherwise just put a heap of seeds inside the cage, although a bowl will be better. If she starts eating, that will be a good sign.

Do you know a good avian vet? Ask to check for canker, yeast and salmonella. Salmonella can also cause this symptoms when the brain gets infected. Please don't let the vet euthanize!!! Tell him this is your pet pigeon. That way they will need to treat her.

But plse put the seeds inside the cage. Leave the light on tonight. With decent food, she might start producing good looking droppings.
what seeds should i give her? sun seed from the supermarket? or rice?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Dropping looking much better. Remember to tell the vet you are feeding peas, so the droppings will be greenish. Do you have a petshop nearby? Try to get a wildbirdseedmixture. Don't give rice. You can add some whole popcorn kernels, dried peas, brown lentils and shelled sunflower seed that you will get at a supermarket. Ask the vet for a vitamin supplement as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dropping looking much better. Remember to tell the vet you are feeding peas, so the droppings will be greenish. Do you have a petshop nearby? Try to get a wildbirdseedmixture. Don't give rice. You can add some whole popcorn kernels, dried peas, brown lentils and shelled sunflower seed that you will get at a supermarket. Ask the vet for a vitamin supplement as well.
i can't take the pigeon to an avian doctor i can't afford the huge bill he'll give me. nor get her bird mix or vitamins yet. does she have an issue with digestion of the thing is hard? she's making really bulky green dropplings now. also a snake came in my house yesterday is it because of the pigeon? i am worried about her a lot. he can't get to her but it worried me a lot

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
I thought you were going to take her to a vet as you suggested. What about getting the lentils, peas and popcorn kernels from the supermarket? Do you have an agricultural store closeby to buy chickenfood? Even vitamins for chickens will help at this point. Try to get apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother" - unfiltered) to add to her drinking water. Mix 5 ml acv to 1 liter of water. You can also put the defrosted green peas in a small bowl, she might start eating them by herself. If not, just keep on handfeeding for now.

The snake was probably just a coincidence, don't worry about that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I thought you were going to take her to a vet as you suggested. What about getting the lentils, peas and popcorn kernels from the supermarket? Do you have an agricultural store closeby to buy chickenfood? Even vitamins for chickens will help at this point. Try to get apple cider vinegar (the one with the "mother" - unfiltered) to add to her drinking water. Mix 5 ml acv to 1 liter of water. You can also put the defrosted green peas in a small bowl, she might start eating them by herself. If not, just keep on handfeeding for now.

The snake was probably just a coincidence, don't worry about that.
i was planning on doing that but things didn't work out as i planned. i wanted to ask is it possible that i might down her with the way i give her water? are there specific stuff i should put in mind when giving her water? i will put a bown of peas in her cage tonight and i will give her acv with water when i feed her again.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
If she breathes with water inside her beak, then the water will enter her lungs and she can drown or develop aspiration pneumonia from which she will die. Can you post a video of her? Have you tried dipping her beak in a small bowl of water? But again, her nostrils should not be dipped in the water cause the same thing can happen. It's ok if they drink water by themselves and the nostrils are submerged, then they don't breath.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If she breathes with water inside her beak, then the water will enter her lungs and she can drown or develop aspiration pneumonia from which she will die. Can you post a video of her? Have you tried dipping her beak in a small bowl of water? But again, her nostrils should not be dipped in the water cause the same thing can happen. It's ok if they drink water by themselves and the nostrils are submerged, then they don't breath.
i tried putting bowl of water and place her beak a bit in it she doesn't move at all. she doesn't try to drink. i think water gets in her nostrils everytime i try to make her drink because she moves around a lot and droplets might get in. i will try to take a video of me giving her water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i tried putting bowl of water and place her beak a bit in it she doesn't move at all. she doesn't try to drink. i think water gets in her nostrils everytime i try to make her drink because she moves around a lot and droplets might get in. i will try to take a video of me giving her water.
The pigeon is shaking a lot today. Is that a bad sign?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
He might be a bit stressed. Can you put a hotwaterbottle (covered with a soft blanket) in with him. Is he trying to eat by himself? If not, are you handfeeding enough?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
He might be a bit stressed. Can you put a hotwaterbottle (covered with a soft blanket) in with him. Is he trying to eat by himself? If not, are you handfeeding enough?
Yesterday I didn’t get to feed him much. I was alone and I couldn’t feed the pigeon by myself. I need someone to hold him from me. I keep forgetting about the pees but i will put it for him now with the bottle. Will the bottle warm him up even if it’s just next to him?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Other than yesterday i feed her 150 peas everyday but I don’t give her 50 ml water daily i give her about 30 because of how much she moves around and i am afraid i am not giving her water properly and i am slowley killing her because she breathes from her nose sometimes I don’t know if that is normal. That’s why I didn’t take a video of the pigeon yesterday, i will try to today.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Yes the bottle will help. They don't need a lot of water when getting fed peas, so don't force too much into him. Have you put down seeds for him? Will be so much easier if he eats by himself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read your post and I just wanted to let you know that you are doing a wonderful thing trying to help this pigeon. No matter what happens you are doing your best while most other people would not care at all. I know it can be difficult as I rescued 2 pigeons 2 years ago and had never had birds. The female has egg binding issues and I worry about her all the time and try my best but don't know if she'll be okay in the long run (even after visiting the vet several times). No matter what, you are a kind and compassionate person. Thank you for caring!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yes the bottle will help. They don't need a lot of water when getting fed peas, so don't force too much into him. Have you put down seeds for him? Will be so much easier if he eats by himself.
I did. He ate half of a bunch of peas i think. But that’s it. It won’t let me attach the video of the pigeon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I read your post and I just wanted to let you know that you are doing a wonderful thing trying to help this pigeon. No matter what happens you are doing your best while most other people would not care at all. I know it can be difficult as I rescued 2 pigeons 2 years ago and had never had birds. The female has egg binding issues and I worry about her all the time and try my best but don't know if she'll be okay in the long run (even after visiting the vet several times). No matter what, you are a kind and compassionate person. Thank you for caring!
Thank you very much. I really appreciate what you said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I don’t know if feeding stressed her out, i think it might have to do with stress because she struggles a lot and the way i feed her is someone hold with the blanket and then i open her beak and feed her. She shakes a lot.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Count the peas you put in for her. If she starts eating, then she will drink as well. What do the droppings look like now? And seeds? Did you put in a deep bowl for her?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Count the peas you put in for her. If she starts eating, then she will drink as well. What do the droppings look like now? And seeds? Did you put in a deep bowl for her?
I was just feeding her and i as i was feeding her, she was rocking her head back and forth a lot. When i left her for a bit to relax, she was snoring and breathing loudly even though she’s awake. i’m afraid the water got in her nose or something. The droppings are barely green and super watery today…

21 - 40 of 67 Posts