Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil, São Paulo,

Hello, people, I’m new here and just found an old (I guess, it has white hairs in the neck) pigeon in the street. At first I did nothing, but felt bad and went back there and got it (someone had moved it to a bit of grass), it wasn’t moving much, but still alive.
I thought it had a broken wing, but upon looking, seems fine, but he (named Peter, but not sure of gender) can’t walk or fly, I left him at home in a box covered with dishcloth (breathable) to avoid him trying to fly and hurting himself more.
It’s quite warm here, so no heating pads, but I left also some clean water and some crunched peanuts (he couldn’t eat the half peanuts, so I hammered them). He was eating when I left home, seemed ok, but I’m not sure if he just wanted to die (is it a thing for pigeons?) ou if he’s somehow sick or hurt in another way. He had his neck a bit twisted, but after getting more comfortable, he was able to lift it up normally.
If someone can help me, I’d appreciate a lot! I can give more information if needed, I’m not very sure what’s relevant. Btw, not sure if authorities here could help me, there are many many pigeons in the city and I don’t think it’d have much relevance to them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi, welcome to PT and thanks for helping Peter.

He could be sick or injured or starving or could suffer from a temporary eggs laying paralysis (if Peter is a "she"). There are many options. I'm going to ask you some questions, they could help us to understand what it is wrong.

Have you checked his body for injuries (sometimes they are hard to see because hidden by feathers)? Have you checked down his throat/mouth with a flashlight (when you will do it, pay attention to any potential yellowish or whitish growth/material)? How are his droppings? Have you noticed any bad smell (coming from his beak or from his droppings or from his body)? Has he shown again problem with his neck (twisted neck, etc)? Have you noticed any swelling in leg/foot joints? Does he seem too thin? Have you seen Peter pulling itself along by its wings?

Is he still eating (you need to be sure that he swallows his food)? Drinking? Can you find there a pigeon/dove mix or wild bird seeds? A bird vitamin supplement? A calcium supplement (like a water soluble supplement) or at least cuttlebone?

Could you please post a photo?

·
Registered
732 Posts
If his neck was twisting, that sounds like pmv .. it is a virus, they can live through it with supportive care, as in the closed space with feed infront of him. Dipping his beak just up to his nostrils, and holding it there , if thirsty he will suck/gulp water.
It is possible to keep them going by hand feeding, inwhich you put the seeds and grains in the back of the throat and they swallow it.

When symptoms of pmv appear as in twisting of the neck the virus is on its way out, if he eats and drinks enough through it he can recover and when strong enough be released back to where he was found, as long as he can fly well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Hello! Good news!

I could take care of Peter for the last few days, and I can happily say that it’s fine and I released it!
After a few hours of me having it, he was already looking much better, could get his neck up and so on, didn’t have any visible wounds etc.
Yesterday I got it a cage (sadly small) and he seemed to want to fly, was eating nicely (and ****ting everywhere lol), so I thought about releasing it today.
As it was very active this morning again, I went out and released it! At first, it was confused, but quickly fled, rested a bit then began flying very nicely :)

Thanks for your answers, I think it was just tired/maybe had some impact and couldn’t walk/fly, or it had a viral infection and was healing already.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the update and for the photos 😊.

Maybe a concussion. I would have monitored him a few more days before releasing him, just to be completely sure that everything was ok.

Anyway, thanks for helping him, bringing him home you saved his life. In his condition, he was in danger in the street!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts