Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My mother found a pigeon in the cold. It was barely walking, unbalanced, so she brought it home. We put it in a box, kept it warm, gave some water by letting it touch the end of its beak with the water and it started drinking. We gave some seeds to it too and it tried to beck at them. I don't think it was able to eat so many but was able to get a few down. It rested all night. Today it seems worse than yesterday. It can't stand up (it couldn't yesterday either on its own), very lethargic, when we try to help it walk it moves in slow unsteady pace but can't keep it's balance on its own. It face plants forward on its head/beak if left alone and just stays there. I am not sure if it's dying. It just rests there with its eyes closed. If touched it does open it's eyes.

Any suggestions? Is it dying? :( Is there anything I can do to prevent it from passing away? Any medication I can buy at a pet store?

Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Keep him warm. Put a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft blanket next to him. Take a flashlight and check for any unusual white or yellow growths inside the beak and back of the throat. The inside should have a pinkish colour.

Are the droppings green and creamy? If so then he is producing starvation droppings. If the throat is clear, you can handfeed green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Put one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed him 10 peas for now. When that gets digested (droppings will be bulkier) feed about 20 more. In another couple of hours, you can feed 20 more peas. Also keep him hydrated by letting him drink.

He sounds weak from lack of food. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep him warm. Put a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft blanket next to him. Take a flashlight and check for any unusual white or yellow growths inside the beak and back of the throat. The inside should have a pinkish colour.

Are the droppings green and creamy? If so then he is producing starvation droppings. If the throat is clear, you can handfeed green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Put one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue and let him swallow. Feed him 10 peas for now. When that gets digested (droppings will be bulkier) feed about 20 more. In another couple of hours, you can feed 20 more peas. Also keep him hydrated by letting him drink.

He sounds weak from lack of food. Keep us updated.
Thank you so much for responding. Will being doing all this now. Now that you mentioned it the droppings are green and creamy. They have turned more green and creamy as the hours pass.

I will keep you updated. Appreciate your response so much! Hoping for the best

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello, if the bird is getting worse as you stated, you should get him to a vet if possible.
The bird looks as if he’s on his last leg, but I hope I am wrong.
Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @mercedes15 . I just finished feeding it the peas as @Marina B suggested. It didn't give us a problem at all. We will wait a few more hours to see if he gains some strength back. He allowed us to feed him and he is drinking water. He's a trooper!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, sounds good, please keep Me posted.

Good Luck
The pigeon is the same. She eats the peas with my assistance and drinks water when offered. But she remains weak and unbalanced. I have a photo of a recent dropping. When I try to get the pigeon to stand she balances for a few seconds then falls forward, I try to help her walk and her right leg clears the floor but the left leg has difficulty moving/clearing the floor. I don't know much about birds but her right wing seems to be lower than the left.
Not sure what else to do. Idk if it's just weakness or she's hurt, or sick.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
It's possible he was hit by a car and has some injuries. Keep him on soft bedding (fleezy blanket folded around him so that he stays upright). Limit his movement for now. Offer him seed in a small bowl to check if he eats by himself. The droppings will look odd when getting fed peas, but his doesn't look good. An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. So you can feed him more peas if he is not eating. The above also depends on how quick the crop empties.

Are you on FB? There's a site: Palomacy Help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Plse join and put up a post. Members will recommend you to the closest rescue centre. Although plse make sure they won't just euthanize him.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello, obviously this bird appears to be dying, in my opinion you don’t have much time.
He needs immediate care. Please if you can get him to a vet you trust please do.
This bird is in pain and suffering a great, and there’s only so much you can do.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's possible he was hit by a car and has some injuries. Keep him on soft bedding (fleezy blanket folded around him so that he stays upright). Limit his movement for now. Offer him seed in a small bowl to check if he eats by himself. The droppings will look odd when getting fed peas, but his doesn't look good. An adult pigeon needs 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. So you can feed him more peas if he is not eating. The above also depends on how quick the crop empties.

Are you on FB? There's a site: Palomacy Help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Plse join and put up a post. Members will recommend you to the closest rescue centre. Although plse make sure they won't just euthanize him.

Keep us updated.
I will try my best to find a rescue center somewhere around me. I'll try everything you've suggested.
So just to clarify if his crop empties fast do I reduce the amount of peas? He is emptying quite fast after feedings. Like 5-10 minutes after feedings.
I will joint the group

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pigeon is now "peeing" more than producing droppings. His droppings are liquid and very lightly green.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello everyone,
My mother found a pigeon in the cold. It was barely walking, unbalanced, so she brought it home. We put it in a box, kept it warm, gave some water by letting it touch the end of its beak with the water and it started drinking. We gave some seeds to it too and it tried to beck at them. I don't think it was able to eat so many but was able to get a few down. It rested all night. Today it seems worse than yesterday. It can't stand up (it couldn't yesterday either on its own), very lethargic, when we try to help it walk it moves in slow unsteady pace but can't keep it's balance on its own. It face plants forward on its head/beak if left alone and just stays there. I am not sure if it's dying. It just rests there with its eyes closed. If touched it does open it's eyes.

Any suggestions? Is it dying? :( Is there anything I can do to prevent it from passing away? Any medication I can buy at a pet store?

Please help.
The pigeon is now "peeing" more than producing droppings. His droppings are liquid and very lightly green.
Hi there,
The pictures of the droppings almost look flourescent green.
Could be a phosphorus overload.
If the droppings are clear liquidy and light green .The peas are helping alot.
Keep doing what everyone has suggested
He should get better .
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
How much peas are you feeding? Can you feel the crop? It should be flat when empty, but fill up when you feed peas. You will actually feel the peas inside. There should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings. Can you add some apple cider vinegar (one with the "mother") to his drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. This will help with digestion. If the crop empties quick, then one can feed more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello @Marina B and @Rockin Roller, thank you so much for the help and consistent replies. It is unfortunate to say that this little guy passed away in the middle of the night. it's sad because I was planning on calling and taking him to the Wild Bird Fund today. At least I now know where to take any pigeon I see injured here in NYC
Thanks again and be safe!

God bless you guys for helping out!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bird sounds like it has ATAXIA. IT WILL NEED ANTIBIOTICS IMMEDIATELY IF THIS IS THE SITUATION mo
Hello @Marina B and @Rockin Roller, thank you so much for the help and consistent replies. It is unfortunate to say that this little guy passed away in the middle of the night. it's sad because I was planning on calling and taking him to the Wild Bird Fund today. At least I now know where to take any pigeon I see injured here in NYC
Thanks again and be safe!

God bless you guys for helping out!!!!
Too bad you didnt say this from the get go. Wild bird fund is something you couldve found on google. Disappointing and this never should've happened. It may have had Ataxia also and needed antibiotics IMMEDIATELY. I deal w birds in Manhattan. Too bad. Marina means well but sometimes people don't get it right here. Too bad I had just gotten this message Wed night. I could've picked up the bird--- I transport to WBF. WAITED TOO LONG. DONT HOLD BIRDS FOR DAYS. GET TO WBF.
Hello everyone,

Please help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts