Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I was going to school this morning, and saw a fat but raggedy pigeon sitting. Its feathers were really gray; is it just super dirty, or do birds also gray when older? City pigeons are usually light gray+dark gray. This one had one color, which is unusual. Idk if they matters.

This pigeon had its head kinda tucked in. Oh, it's a bit cold in NY right now. Well, it was just sitting there unmoving. I saw it around 8 AM.... It's 6 PM now. That's 10 hours!!!
It's still there--moved a bit but still on the same street (sidewalk). When this guy walked near it, it kinda shuffled away before settling down smack in the center of the street (sidewalk).

Is it old, or sick??? I'm only 15, so I can't make sole decisions. :/ My parents aren't animal people. I can kinda convince them to take the pigeon in and care for it if it's old, but definitely not if it's sick.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It probably is sick. But pigeons diseases are not transmissible to humans, except few that don't cause much harm. Catch him/ her if possible and notice these aspects:

-is the interior of his mouth clean and pink or are some foreign cheesy or other kind of formations?
- is his vent clean or the feathers are dirty with poop?
- does he breath normally or with open mouth? Does he make a noise hen breathing?
-does bhe has any woundin the visible parts or under wing?
- does he has feathers that seem eaten by some parasite? Are lice visiby crawling through his feathers?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It would be very helpful if you would bring him home and set him up in a cage or likewise. Then we could talk about what to look for. But first you need to catch him. He will only get caught by a predator outside on the ground. If he stayed on the ground then probably can't fly right now because he is either injured or ill. But something will get him out there alone. Please help the poor thing.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Yes, please help,the poor little guy. If you can just put him in a box in your bathroom or garage and offer him seed and water he would love you for it and we can help,you assess what is going on with him. After dark it is easy to catch a pigeon. Please see if you can throw a towel over him and get him into a box or old cage or whatever. Bless you for caring about him.

·
Registered
555 Posts
yes, please get him in! don't let him die all alone on the street :( maybe after you have caught him you can find a rescuer in your area who is willing to help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts