Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a pigeon on tuesday, brought it home and put it in a box with food and water (bird food).

I tried to release the pigeon today but he only gets short flight times and usually just tries to hide in the corner or under a bush.

The pigeon seems to be doing well, no deformities anywhere and is very lively.

I just wanted to know what to do from here. It does have an ID band...

AU 209 // SEMPER FI // 2009

Also has a red band on the other leg.

I got ahold of the owner and he told me he let a guy borrow the pigeon for a race but the second guy was like hold on to the bird for a week and see if it flies. That was about that.

I want to get this thing back in the sky again but it just doesnt seem it can fly, sure not for a lack of trying though.

G

·
how close are you to MARLBORO NJ cuz this bird doesnt sound like its in any shape to fly very far at all to me ..getting it back into condition really depends on how long its been lost too .

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
OK....best to stop trying to release him, then. He doesn't sound like he is capable of flying...so releasing him would likely result in his death either by exposure, starvation, or predator.

He/she needs rest and supportive care (food, warmth, quiet, a confined space).

Is he eating and drinking well ?

Does she seem alert or lethargic/sleepy-eyed ?

Please examine his body again...ANY signs of cuts, abrasions, scabs, scrtaches, blood, bare skin patches, etc ???

Thanks for helping !

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Here is the club info, although, this band appears to be a personal band for one person rather than a club. I would HOPE that anyone who cares enough to get their own bands, also cares about their pigeons. You might try calling Tony or sending an email.

Club Name :
Club Code : SEMPER FI
Club Secretary : TONY JOSWICK
City : MARLBORO
State : NJ
Phone No. : 732-946-8766
Email Address : [email protected]

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
SEE??? We're not ALL bad folks...............

Just got this email from the owner of the bird. There's still a few good people left in this world. ;)

Renee,
Thank you so much for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.
We fly under the name of SEMPER FI Loft. I live in New Jersey and I had
given this particular Pigeon to a fellow in Mass, to fly in the recent 2009
AU CONVENTION RACE. It was a difficult race with many losses, only 297
returns out of 1057 pigeons in the race.
Anyway I've been in contact with the fellow who is caring for the bird and
the guy who actually flew the bird in the race. Within a few days, the
pigeon will be mailed back to me or to the loft that had flown the pigeon in
that race.

Thank you so much for your concern & Sportsmanship in this wonderful hobby.
God bless you

Tony & Karen
SEMPER FI RACING PIGEON LOFT

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Just got this email from the owner of the bird. There's still a few good people left in this world. ;)

Renee,
Thank you so much for your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.
We fly under the name of SEMPER FI Loft. I live in New Jersey and I had
given this particular Pigeon to a fellow in Mass, to fly in the recent 2009
AU CONVENTION RACE. It was a difficult race with many losses, only 297
returns out of 1057 pigeons in the race.
Anyway I've been in contact with the fellow who is caring for the bird and
the guy who actually flew the bird in the race. Within a few days, the
pigeon will be mailed back to me or to the loft that had flown the pigeon in
that race.

Thank you so much for your concern & Sportsmanship in this wonderful hobby.
God bless you

Tony & Karen
SEMPER FI RACING PIGEON LOFT
What a terrific flyer! wish they all were like him!:D

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Renee, I am very glad you shared that! :D

Bless you for your efforts to reunite this bird with its owner and for sharing the E-mail.
That is one special bird too, to have survived that race with so many losses.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Renee, I am very glad you shared that! :D

Bless you for your efforts to reunite this bird with its owner and for sharing the E-mail.
That is one special bird too, to have survived that race with so many losses.

You are quite right. Pigeon flyers are so eager to write off a bird that gets "lost"...........when the truth of the matter is, they have no earthly idea what that bird might have faced during it time in the air. And I'm about to get on a soap box so I'll just shut up.........:eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
"I'm about to get on a soap box so I'll just shut up"

darn!,...lol... I like a good speech, your the last person That I would want to see "shut up". :)

G

·
You are quite right. Pigeon flyers are so eager to write off a bird that gets "lost"...........when the truth of the matter is, they have no earthly idea what that bird might have faced during it time in the air. And I'm about to get on a soap box so I'll just shut up.........:eek:
do they still make soap boxes hehe:D a milk crate would prolly be easier to find lol:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: The bird seemed pretty lively today so I decided to give him another shot. He had been under close watch for 96 hours total (4 days) with food and water and a box. It was a fairly windy day today so I figured that would help the bird catch a draft and it appeared to do as such. We took him up to the local middle school and took him out of the box. He flew over to a tree about 100 yards away. So I was pretty happy but then he flew down and around over the ground and then walked over and hid. So then I was determined to give the bird one last chance. Went over, kept flying away from me which I am hoping was a good sign. We finally brought him to the center of the soccer field and he flew to the top of the building and perched up there. Does this sounds like a good day or not so good. I left some bird seed around the area too. I shot some video of the take off flight and release and will put it up on youtube so standby for update. Just hope to god this bird makes it. It was definitely an experience taking care of a bird. The start point was Naugatuck, CT if anyone plots these things out.

G

·
umm I would have waited at least a couple weeks to let him recover and I thought you were gonna mail this bird back to the fellow ?:confused: well now all we can do is hope it finds its way back but somehow I dont think that is going to happen :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts