Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a pigeon waiting outside the gates to my house when I got back at night. I ushered him into the garden so he wouldn't get run over by the car. He didn't seem scared of me and my mum at first and stood there next to us ( we thought he might have been Percy, a homing pigeon that made our house his home for about a year) but on looking at it it seemed quite small and didn't have the tag on his legs. It then got a bit scared and walked away from us.
It didn't try to fly away and instead walked but was a bit woobly on them. Dad managed to catch it and we've put it in an old rabbit cage ( well our type of rabbit cage, that is about 2x2m and has outside space and a sheltered house part) because we have foxes, some sort of hawks and wild cats in the garden and it might not have lasted the night.
I'm not quite sure what we should do with it though. We gave it some of the rabbit seedy food and there's some bread in the hutch. It seems a bit shook up.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Would be best if you can bring the bird inside in a cat kennel or cage.
I suspect you have a young bird that hasn't learned how to eat on it's own yet.
Do you see any little yellow fuzzy freathers on the bird?
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think it's that young. It about 1am here so I'll have to wait till the morning to get pictures and check. It's just a bit smaller than the average pigeon round here and a bit skinnyer but its feathers are all a black and grey colour. I'll be out to check on it in the morning and i will post some pictures on here so I really hope it will be ok (yn) Thankyou for your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to have posted this 2ce because of confusion on my part, but thankyou for you replying. Its 1am here, I live in Wales, UK so i will have to wait until morning to sort things out. Starting to worry a bit though, I didn't consider the bird being sick and after reading the link you gave me I feel as if i should be out there caring for him now. The temperature is 12 celcius at the moment which is fairly warm for a british night and the little shelterd house bit is filled with hay/straw. Do you think it will be warm enough for the night?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He could be sick, and if he is, needs to be kept warm.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Elery,

How is the pigeon today? Is it a wood pigeon or a feral pigeon?

Can you let us know what part of Wales you are in?

If you could get some small seed or wild bird mix, scatter that around him to encourage him to eat. Also put a container of warm water with a bit of glucose or honey in in in the rabbit cage, dip the pigeon's beak in that gently to encourage him to drink and so that he knows where the water is.

If you can take a photo of him or describe him? I would particularly like to know how long his wing and tail feathers are.

Cynthia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it's still alive and is walking around the outside part of the cage but only when it got scared of us putting food in the sheltered part and went outside. It doesn't look like it's touched it's food though and doesn't seem interested when I scatter bits around it. Dad had a closer look at it today and he does have some blood on one of his wings but hasn't broken it because it flaps them around with no trouble. We think he might have been grabbed by an animal and somehow managed to get away or scratched it on something. It a really pretty pigeon, I'm no expert but it doesn't look at all like the wood pigeons that are in the garden. I'm on my iPhone so I'll try posting the pictures, hope it works.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If it isn't eating then you will have to open its beak and pop food in. The most convenient food that you can use is defrosted peas and corn, we would have to know its size to determine how much he needs.

This video shows how to hand feed peas and corn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

If he has been caught by a predator he will need antibiotics because if it is infected with pesteurella it will die. I don't know where you are in Wales, we have a member in Llanelli who might have some antibiotics left and there is the Gower Bird Hospital that treats pigeons.

Cynthia

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've taken pictures on my iPhone but I can't find a way of putting them on here or putting them on a image hosting site to attach. I've uploaded them on facebook but I can't find a URL on them. If I don't find a way they'll be posted tonight when I get home. I live in Barry so it's not to far from Llanelli, about an hour and a bit drive but I doubt mum or dad will be willing to drive up there. I'll try feeding it like that, wish my luck though because he's very scared of people and so will he hard to pick up and feed. Thankyou for all your help.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Eleri,

Is your Facebook profile an open one? If so, PM me your facebook name and I can copy and post the photos.

If you look in my albums I have photos of baby and young woodies and of collared doves that you can compare.

Cynthia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Instead of putting up the nice pictures up of our pigeon who has now been named Tiny T (Tim or Tilly) i went downstairs this morning, where weve now got it in a cage inside, and notice one of his wings wasn't placed properly
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12767&stc=1&d=1244368248
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12768&stc=1&d=1244368248
We took a closer look and the problem may be more than we first expected. The cut is on a bone, or so dad says so we might be taking him to a vets or somewhere when we can.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12769&stc=1&d=1244368248

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It is an adult feral, probably been hit by a car....Is it eating and drinking? If it hasn't been drinking then please mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt, pour some in a shallow dish and dip its beak in it so that it knows it is there. It is very important to avoid dehydration.

Cynthia

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello Eleri,

I live in Llanelli but my husbands car is not in good condition to drive, and he is not home now either so I am not sure what to say right now. You can defiantly bring the bird to me if you can.

Unfortunately I don't have any antibiotics left. I am not sure what it would need, I could send something but I don't know what. Anyone any advice?

I do think the bird needs to be feed. By the way they love black black sunflower seeds and raw peanuts. Did you noticed if the bird ate or had water?

Let me know how things are

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not home much so I havnt seen him eating and drinking myself but my sister has been spying on him and she's seen him pick out the seeds from the rabbit food that's in there and drink the water. She also saw him have a bath in the water so at least he's looking after himself.
Thankyou for your concern and offer for help. Dad might take him to the vets tomorrow. Will this cost anything and if so is there any free services around barry/Cardiff area? He'll pick up some bird seed aswell hopefully, will normal bird food and water be ok or does he need anything extra?

Eleri.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello Eleri,

I only know a place in Gower who take pigeons but they are difficult people to deal with and I don't get the impression they care about informing people about the state of the bird, and they will put the bird to sleep if it can't be realised.

As for the vet if you take him from my experience it charges about £15 for consultation, depends on the vet, and plus medicines which necessary so I don't know about that could be anything between £5 or £20. On some occasions when I took an ill bird in they did not even charged me anything.

As for seeds he will do with wild bird seeds. You could try the supermarket or any health food shop for raw unprocessed peanuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds and things like that if you can;t find any other type of seeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts